Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How fitting that the first movie shown on Paulette Goddard's Summer Under the Stars day was preceded by a "Rated PG".

PG standing for "Paulette Goddard" of course!

Looking forward to most of the day's movies. Thanks TCM for giving Paulette a day "under the stars".

Well I love Paulette Goddard and find her life & work fascinating. Read her autobio if you ever get the chance. I've seen every single one of her SUTS films several times so for the most part be skipping it.

The Tiki family recently saw a screening of MODERN TIMES at the Capitol Theater, and Mr Tiki couldn't get over how gorgeous Paulette was. He also thought the new THE WOMEN was a decent movie, yuk.

So I'll be recording that this evening and showing him what a really great movie looks like.

I didnt know she wrote her memoirs. I expect it's long out of print. Do you remember the title? She lived a very interesting life (married, well sort of, to Chaplin and Eric Maria Remarque (sp?) among others......

Isnt a great line up of her films. But at least there are some winners here and there.....

What exactly did Fred say about Paulette, Finance? I thought she did a good job in that number, considering she wasnt a dancer......

The title that is worth a look today is AN IDEAL HUSBAND (1947). It screened on TCM a few weeks ago. Glorious Technicolor and all those great British actors. It's produced in sort of the way we would expect from those Merchant-Ivory art house films.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}I don't know that much about her. Maybe I'm biased against her because Fred Astaire said that SECOND CHORUS was his worst film, mostly because of Goddard.

I actually like SECOND CHORUS very much. Great music, good supporting cast, good comedy. And Paulette looks great. The only problem with this movie is that Fred Astaire made so many that are such highly regarded classics that when he made one like this it looks bad by comparison when it really isn't so bad.

Another problem with SECOND CHORUS is its Public Domain status. Years ago on some TV stations it was shown much too often which made it sort of wear out its welcome. So it may tend to be taken for granted. Plus, it can be difficult to find good quality prints, especially with the Paramount logos and complete end title & cast listing not altered or chopped off. I was delighted to see that when TCM started running it they have a great looking print...looking bright & clear & complete.

So, anyone who may not have seen it, check it out and give it a chance.

> {quote:title=audreyforever wrote:}{quote}

>

> I recorded Vice Squad.....looking forward to this film noir/crime drama.

>

VICE SQUAD was pretty good.

But don't expect much of Paulette G. She's in only a couple scenes and doesn't get to do much. Still, I enjoyed it.

Just want to add my two cents. Anyone else agree with me that Paulette Goddard is simply one of the most beautiful actresses of all time? She is often a very good actress, but her beauty is remarkable. And, she has a very 'modern' look about her. She makes many of her contemporaries look plain.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}As a blonde in 1932

Very nice one! Thanks, Fred.

It's fun to look for her in appearing unbilled in 1932 Hal Roach films (I've spotted her in at least one additional short that IMDb doesn't know about).

I think it is surprising that with all that early thirties work as chorus girls, in Hal Roach films, and other bits, that it took so long for her to finally get noticed and really catch on in 1936.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}

> No arguements with me. Chaplin had good taste.........

I've always said that if ever you need proof that Chaplin had good taste, just look at Paulette Goddard. :)

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}Looking at the IMDb, Paulette made a lot of uncredited appearances in the early 30's. Several of those films I have. It should be fun trying to find her.

Did you check out that picture FredC just posted? Remember in those early Paulette roles look for the blonde hair.

It would have been nice if TCM could have fit some of her Roach shorts into the schedule today if between-feature fillers were needed.

So this is only indirectly related to this thread. I was manually recording Modern Times (I figured I would make a disc of that and The Great Dictator)

And what happens just now, my elbow slipped on the remote and I got a few secs of another channel instead. Major Despair! :(

Sorry to vent about my personal problems but I thought you guys would understand.

Edited by: Kinokima on Aug 2, 2011 7:25 PM