Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why is TCM allowing Ben Mankiewicz to ruin the channel?

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Go easy on me. My chief writer is on vacation this week.

OH, okay...that 'splains it.

(...yep, I have to admit I usually find your stuff MUCH better than that, finance ol' buddy!) ;)

Why all this Ben hate! What is wrong with Ben. In my opinion I think TCm is just tryng to get viewers to get warmed up to Ben Manckiewicz. You know Robert Osborne will more than likely retire someday...( hopefully it will not be anytime soon) and Ben will be his repacement.

I hate to burst the whole I HATE BEN bubble, but, yes, there are many of us who actually like him. I think he does a great job. And, whether that whole Ben-is-the-devil rant was meant to be taken serioiusly or not, it did give me a good laugh.

Gee,i'm not trying to be hateful or anything BUT, Ben has always struck me as being the ne'er do well,skirt chasing,coke snorting,hard drinking grandson of a once bigtime hollywood director who has to do SOMETHING to make some $$$$. Since he has no REAL talent of his own(maybe a little bit around the edges),and cringes at the thought of having to do real work, he cashes in on his name. :) just my .02 cents. JR

Those are some pretty extreme statements you make about this guy. If he has done half of the stuff you claim he has, I agree, he is despicable. My date with him would definitely be off. (Mrs. Mankiewicz and I both knew it was just going to be a friendly platonic date to discuss the true meaning of film noir, anyway.)

As I say, those are some very horrid things he allegedly said and /or did. I wonder if the "mods" here would permit you to post a link to some of this stuff, so I can see for myself his "sexist, racist, and anti-gay" attacks.

Goodness gracious.

*"Gee,i'm not trying to be hateful or anything BUT, Ben has always struck me as being the ne'er do well,skirt chasing,coke snorting,hard drinking grandson of a once bigtime hollywood director..."*

Well, that's one of the ugliest comments that I've ever read here. But you weren't _trying_ to be "hateful". Obviously it comes easy to you.

Kyle In Hollywood

I'm convinced there's a blog or website or something out there in the netverse that is driving all this hateful traffic. Last month it was the Arabs in films, now it's Ben. Don't people have better things to do with their time than try to take down everything & everybody who doesn't quite fit into their world view?

Coke snorting is a crime and one should be able to submit proof if they are going to accuse someone of committing a crime. At least a link to your source of this info.

Re the OP:

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think.

Wow. I think Ben-man looks great and does a fine job. Glad he got rid of that insipid goatee that dated him, and appreciate the togs upgrade. Thought having a SUTS dedicated set was a class touch, but everything TCM does is top-drawer.

But then again, I'm one of the dreaded ids....

hlywdkjk, i never said that Ben IS that way,i said that's how he strikes me,that's the IMPRESSION i have always gotten from him.I don't know why.But mine is an honest statement of an impression that i have.Right or wrong.The mere statement of an IMPRESSION is not "hateful".No ACCUSATIONS of coke use as one poster claimed.Nor charges of "sexism" "racism" or "anti-gay" actvity as another claimed. JR

*"I'm convinced there's a blog or website or something out there in the netverse that is driving all this hateful traffic."* - helenbaby

It's possible.

If memory serves, the OP was in the middle of the "manufactured outrage" a while back over Ben's commentary for *A Face In The Crowd* which was part of TCM's "Now Playing: The Show" program. Of course, it appeared that none of the irate ones had actually seen (or read) what Ben said. They were only parroting an agenda-driven blogger's misguided reaction to Ben's comments.

If it is being driven by a fringe group, it is difficult to determine the source. In the age of Twitter, Text Messaging and Private Facebook walls, a lot of communicating can be done "off the web". I tried to find an online source for some of the traffic that arrived last month but couldn't come up with one.

Hopefully they'll take their games elsewhere. Soon.

Kyle In Hollywood

hlywdkjk, i never said that Ben IS that way,i said that's how he strikes me,that's the IMPRESSION i have always gotten from him.I don't know why.But mine is an honest statement of an impression that i have.Right or wrong.The mere statement of an IMPRESSION is not "hateful".*No ACCUSATIONS of coke use as one poster claimed.* Nor charges of "sexism" "racism" or "anti-gay" actvity as another claimed. Maybe people should read posts more carefully before reading what they want *into* a post.JR

Earlier you said:

Ben has always struck me as being the ne'er do well,skirt chasing,*coke snorting*,hard drinking grandson of a once bigtime hollywood director who has to do SOMETHING to make some $$$$.

Note: emphasis mine.

Maybe you should tell us why he strikes you as a coke snorter. Does he chortle a lot? Is his nose dripping? Does he have trouble keeping still and is he making wild hand gestures? Is there white powder on his mustache or just below his nostril? If he fits a stereotype, tell us how.

clore, i don't owe you any explanation.Who are you,the thought and speech police??Who appointed you as the arbitor of "correct speech"??Get off it. I'll say as i feel w/o your interference or input.

I can see you're too emotional to be rational,so i'll drop it here.Take your political correctness somewhere else. JR.

Edited by: jr33928 on Aug 3, 2011 6:07 PM

*"hlywdkjk, i never said that Ben IS that way,i said that's how he strikes me,that's the IMPRESSION i have always gotten from him."* - jr#####

Oh, I understand. But the specificity of traits you listed are difficult - if not impossible - to ascertain from watching the man on television. So what could possibly give you that "impression"? And in such detail too?

You could have just said that your impression of him was of that of a Hollywood Party-boy. That covers the same ground without attributing the outrageous behaviors to him - even in your indirect way. Including them in the manner you did appears to me to be a sideways attempt at character assassination.

Personally, my impression of Ben Mankiewicz is that "he's a nice Jewish boy."

Kyle In Hollywood

Gee,i never thought of the term "Hollywood party-boy.That is a better way to say it. Maybe my description is colored by having seen toooo many people go that route.Too many people with too many dollars and no sense.Too many people with nothing to do and all day to do it. Sometimes leads to trouble. JR.

PS: The traits i described would of course not be visible on tv,if they were then he wouldn't be there.

It's not something seen,it's something 'sensed'. JR.

kyle- the way I interpreted it, the claims jr33928 were making were so over the top, I was sure he was joking. Apparently not.

All joking aside, the Ben -bashing has got to stop. It really is ridiculous. As I said in an earlier post, either here or on that other Ben thread, if someone is going to make such outrageous and negative claims about him - or about anyone, for that matter - it should be backed by an actual video or something of Mr. Mankiewicz unmistakeably saying these things he has been accused of saying. Otherwise, it's all innuendo, nasty gossip about someone the OP clearly just doesn't like, and nonsense.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more utterly egregious these claims about the Mank appear to me - "sexist" ?? "racist"?? "anti-gay?" Come on, OP, get real.

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 3, 2011 6:37 PM