Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
aged-in-wood

Happy 100th Birthday You Daffy Redhead.

What a wonderful treat waking up this morning to see Lucy almost everywhere I looked. Lucy on the front page of google, Lucy Show Marathon on Tv, and a wonderful Lucy movie marathon on TCM. I am especially looking foward to seeing "Best Foot Foward, Dance Girl Dance (directed by a woman in the 40's !) and the Big Street. I also plan on checking out some episodes and some of the favorite moments from the show. What are some of your favorite Lucy moments, TV or film. As far as tv goes, I would have to say her meeting with William Holden on I love lucy was utterly side splitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWWj3-qOR1s&feature=related

I look at lucy, and women like Betty Hutton, Judy Holiday, Carol Burnett. All the great old women comedic genius' and wonder what happened. Seems like a woman can't be funny nowadays without being vulgar, half naked or a witch. There is talent today, women like anna faris and amanda bynes are genuinely funny but there movie suck so bad. We need better directors and materials for these ladies of comedy.

But there is hope and there are always the masters to look to and learn from and just plain enjoy. Lucy was and will continue to be a master not just of comedy but of grace, maturity, beauty, business.

So I wish a Very happy birthday to Lucy and a hearty thanks for all her work and the joy and laughter she has brought people. I wonder what she is doing up in heaven right now.

Lucy: You know God, I think it would be great if you'd let me sing in the heavenly choir

God: Lucy I told you, we've had this choir in place for over a millenia, they don't need any new additions

Lucy: Please

God: No

Lucy: Waaaaaaaaah!

Lucy was truely a beautiful woman. It was hard to tell sometimes with all the crazy antics and contortions of her face to make us laugh.

The Old Time Radio channel on XM/Sirius is also having a Lucy marathon all weekend. I only wish TCM would have shown THE DARK CORNER today - it might her best movie role.

Happy 100th Lucy!

Yes, LM4, Lucy was very attractive, and she wore clothes beautifully, being tall and slim (but not skinny) with great legs. I love seeing her in The Long, Long Trailer because she wore many of those lovely outfits from I Love Lucy, and it's great to see them in color! She's pretty believable to me as a new bride, and she was past 40.

BLU

What a great post, aged. I am really enjoying reveling in all things Lucy today. I think what most strikes me is her beauty. She makes a stunning figure in black and white.

>Im4movies2 wrote:

>Lucy was truely a beautiful woman. It was hard to tell sometimes with all the crazy antics and contortions of her face to make us laugh.

I agree, she was a beautiful woman, although that fact did often get lost in the comedy. She was quite a good dancer, too! I remember the episode of I Love Lucy in which she was learning to jitterbug. Even as I watched her trying it for the first time, it was clear she had to be a very good dancer to even do the fumbling steps she was doing in the beginning. I love seeing her dance the jitterbug, especially the first take, before her vision gets messed up, and her dancing with Van Johnson to "How About You?" as well as the Anniversary Waltz with Ricky.

It's been great seeing her all over TCM, MeTV, and Hallmark Channel today. Especially great seeing the episodes of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour on MeTV, even though they are not being shown intact as hour-long specials the way they were once on TV Land. They are broken into the 30-minute 2-parters We Love Lucy for syndication on MeTV, but TV Land used to show them in their original format. Also great seeing some of my favorite episodes of The Lucy Show on MeTV, even though I like I Love Lucy better.

And I love the fact that her 100th birthday fell on a Saturday, so lots of her films on TCM got commentary today, rather than the typical dreary 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. slot on a weekday in May or June to honor her birthday when she is not scheduled for Summer Under the Stars--the dreary, commentary-less 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. weekday slots. And sometimes not even all of that on a weekday--sometimes just a half-day of her movies on a weekday to honor her birthday. But today, because it was her 100th birthday, all the stops were pulled out! It's on Saturday, when many of us can be home to watch and not have to rely on DVR! And because it's Saturday, she not only got commentary for the prime time hours, but the afternoon hours, too! Thanks, TCM, for the great Lucy blast!

It's great to see so many folks really DO love Lucy!

Robbie

Robbie, great to read your post! I agree, yesterday was like being totally immersed in Lucy all day long, with the great TCM film lineup, and the great shows being aired on Me-TV (actually all day today also on there!)!! Oh and I guess the Hallmark Channel did that also! I haven't seen THE LUCY SHOW in ages, so that was fun for me! I wonder why they didn't air the hour long I LOVE LUCY episodes in their original format? Oh well, still great to see them!

>markbeckuaf wrote:

>Robbie, great to read your post! I agree, yesterday was like being totally immersed in Lucy all day long, with the great TCM film lineup, and the great shows being aired on Me-TV (actually all day today also on there!)!! Oh and I guess the Hallmark Channel did that also! I haven't seen THE LUCY SHOW in ages, so that was fun for me! I wonder why they didn't air the hour long I LOVE LUCY episodes in their original format? Oh well, still great to see them!

Mark,

Yeah, MeTV's 100th Birthday Celebration for Lucy actually started at midnight on Friday and runs until 8 a.m. EDT on Monday, I think. Supposedly they are airing 100 episodes for the "100th Birthday" tribute. I just wish I had been able to see more of it. I have been in a "low energy" period for the past few weeks and haven't been able to do much. My energy just started improving Saturday evening, so I was only able to start enjoying the Lucy-Fest on TCM and MeTV then.

As far as MeTV not running The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour in its original format--maybe all they have access to is the syndication package. The syndicated version, with the episodes split in half and retitled We Love Lucy, allowed stations to run both I Love Lucy and We Love Lucy back-to-back in a 30-minute time slot.

TV Land once ran the show in its original hour-long format, and also ran I Love Lucy with its original title sequence, which was an animated sequence of matchstick versions of Lucy and Desi indicating something about that particular episode's sponsor (although TV Land replaced the sponsor logo with its own). Of course, this was all a while back when TV Land was actually good and cared about classic TV.

The "heart on satin" opening was actually not the original opening--this was created for network daytime rebroadcasts and syndication. Of course, since I grew up watching the "heart on satin" opening, I still love it.

I'm glad MeTV ran my favorite episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour with Tallulah Bankhead. That episode is so funny I believe I like it even above my favorite I Love Lucy episodes. I was watching the one with Danny Thomas last night and there was a great scene which I have always loved in which they are angry at each other and a snowball fight has erupted. The snowball fight was somewhat amusing but Lucy took it up a notch when she takes the head off Little Ricky's snowman and smashes it down on Marjorie Lord's head. I actually laugh out loud, which I rarely do, every time I see that, even though Lord grabs her head as if she's in pain afterward. No one tops Lucy's brand of comedy.

I wish they had shown the one with Fred MacMurray. That was also a great one--I love it when the Ricardos, Mertzes, and MacMurray are all racing back to be the first with their uranium site claim and MacMurray runs his car into the unfinished road tar and gets stuck. As the Ricardos drive past him, Lucy leans out the window and sticks her tongue out at him and yells, "Nyah!" It's vintage Lucy.

Robbie

I've really been enjoying watching these gems of I Love Lucy. I haven't laughed so much in ages. And yes, Lucy was gorgeous. I always felt she resembled Greta Garbo, in profile too.

Did anyone see the I Love Lucy episode "Ricky Loses His Voice" on MeTV on Sunday, August 7, at 9:30 p.m. EDT? This is one of my favorite episodes and I have missed it the last three times it has aired on MeTV, including tonight. I think it is supposed to air again on August 23.

I have been wanting to see this episode on MeTV to see if it has the "first take" of Fred and Ethel's performance of "Carolina in the Morning." This was the rehearsal performance, not the performance they did during the actual show. There were actually two performances by them of this, one being the rehearsal and the other the actual show. Both performances are included on the DVD but most TV networks like Hallmark and TV Land cut the rehearsal performance for syndication. MeTV tends to have less editing for commercials than those other channels, and I have been curious to see if MeTV airs the rehearsal performance as it would give me an idea of how edited their syndication package is for commercials.

Robbie

Not to take this thread's focus off Lucy, but I tried watching some of the sitcom episodes on Hallmark the other night and had to stop. Hallmark's intrusive station IDs and promo crawls completely ruined the viewing experience, and I didn't want my memories of "I Love Lucy" spoiled by it.

More and more channels are getting worse and worse about this these days. IFC is the same way now -- and they even split up 15 minute Three Stooges shorts into three segments with commercial breaks!

Well, I guess I can bring Lucy back into this. One of her most throw-away appearances was in one of the earliest Three Stooges shorts. She even got billing and was fine but that part could've been played by any bright young actress.

>NewYorkGuy wrote:

>Not to take this thread's focus off Lucy, but I tried watching some of the sitcom episodes on Hallmark the other night and had to stop. Hallmark's intrusive station IDs and promo crawls completely ruined the viewing experience, and I didn't want my memories of "I Love Lucy" spoiled by it.

>

>More and more channels are getting worse and worse about this these days. IFC is the same way now -- and they even split up 15 minute Three Stooges shorts into three segments with commercial breaks!

>

>Well, I guess I can bring Lucy back into this. One of her most throw-away appearances was in one of the earliest Three Stooges shorts. She even got billing and was fine but that part could've been played by any bright young actress.

I have the same problem. I used to love TV Land but they began having pop ups which I found very distracting. One year Kelly Ripa was hosting the TV Land Awards. I was trying to watch Gunsmoke but the logo in the bottom was promoting the TV Land Awards and it had Kelly Ripa dancing, wiggling, and thrashing about and it was just too distracting.

Hallmark has gotten really bad as it sometimes promotes its original movies by throwing up a banner that takes up the entire bottom third of the screen! Nick at Nite is the same way--I was trying to watch That '70s Show and a huge banner appeared taking up the bottom third of the screen.

That's why I like MeTV, Antenna TV, THIS TV, and Retro TV (unfortunately, we don't get Retro TV anymore as MeTV replaced it in our area). They do have commercials but at least they show the openings and closings full-screen and there are no annoying pop ups. I don't mind commercials because, hey, these TV shows were originally shown with commercials anyway, so I'm used to that. I can handle the static MeTV logo in the bottom right corner of the screen, just like TCM has, but fortunately they do not have the annoying pop ups and crawl.

Hallmark Channel's split-screen closings are particularly bad for I Love Lucy because not only are the credits shrunken, but for I Love Lucy the guest stars were announced verbally, and you can't hear them because Hallmark doesn't play the music! I love listening to the names of the guest stars when I watch the closing credits of I Love Lucy on MeTV.

Some of our local stations show older shows like The Andy Griffith Show and they still show the full closing credits. The cable channels have gotten really bad. Perhaps they assume the younger crowd doesn't mind banners and junk, because young people seem to be able to multitask and assimilate information at a greater rate. But these classic TV shows are typically loved by older viewers who generally don't want to see all that garbage on the screen. They want to watch the shows the way they originally saw them. It seems like they just don't care about fans of classic TV. They are the AMC of the TV show world.

Thank goodness TCM is staying true to its mission of showing movies the way they are supposed to be shown.

Robbie