Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Canadians Ripped Off Today

Well I immediately thought of our boards misswonderly when I saw a fantastic TravelTalks filler about Quebec the other day! Very flattering narration and nice to see the town looking so grande!

Yes, I've seen that one...it's kind of cute. That "TravelTalks" shorts program also has one on Ontario.

Oh, and TikiSoo, you'd be interested in this: there's a short TCM runs now and then on "The Bengal Riders" (not sure I've got the name right), about an equestrian camp for children. The kids learn how to look after and groom the horses, as well as ride them in special patterns (is it called "dressage" ? )

Anyway, it's a sweet little info short, and it's shot in Canada - Halifax, Nova Scotia, to be exact, because that's the location for this special horse/youth program. (I think it might even still exist.)

darkblue, baby, you don't know how many times I have almost literally howled with frustration and disappointment over some delicious and rare film being aired on TCM that we can't see in Canada.

It's hugely annoying, and what bothers me the most is I suspect that whoever does own the rights to these movies we don't get to see probably doesnt' really know or care that they're not available in Canada, it's just there's no one in particular to sort it all out.

I mean - come on, I can't imagine a ferocious legal battle over the rights to an old and not commercially successful film like *Mr. Arkadin*. I wish someone would get off their keister and do something about this.

I found one way to at least avoid disappointment if you see a film you're interested in is coming up on the TCM schedule: there's a "CANADIAN" "button" at the top right of the schedule screen. When checking out the TCM day, click that button. It turns red ( because it's for Canadians, I guess !) and then brings up the Canadian schedule for the day. Usually it's the same as the American one, but if it's different you can at least see that, and therefore have time to get used to the idea that you're not going to get to see *Mr. Arkadin* - or whatever you fondly thought you'd be watching - before the actual screening date.

Several films I've always wanted to see but it appears there are "rights" issues in Canada: *Billy Liar*, *Dead of Night* ( since these two are British films I'm particularly surprised there are no Canadian rights for them), and *They Shoot Horses, Don't They?*. And now *Mr. Arkadin*.

(Maybe you can get out your Elvis collection and listen to that instead. ;) ).

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 8, 2011 5:57 PM

OK, I'll tell you what...email me in the TCM inbox with your "wish lists". Alert me when one's coming up & if the machine is free, I'll try to make sure you get to see it.

I record a LOT because I'm self employed and can often work weird hours. I might just already have them, though not one of misswonderly's wish list.

BTW, we thought Mr Arkadin was terrible. Trippy weird, disjointed, non capturing story. You missed nothing.

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

>

> BTW, we thought Mr Arkadin was terrible. Trippy weird, disjointed, non capturing story. You missed nothing.

Well, YMMV, but I think it is Welles' third best film, right behind *Touch of Evil* and *Citizen Kane*. Perhaps it's because I like trippy and weird. The lighting is incredible. Perhaps *Mr. Arkadin* only ties *The Lady from Shanghai* for third place...

> BTW, we thought Mr Arkadin was terrible. Trippy weird, disjointed, non capturing story. You missed nothing.

But Welles was an auteur ! And it's not his fault the money-men wanted him to stick to a deadline. Don't you know that their taking artistic control from him automatically makes his work genius?

I didn't care for *Mr. Arkadin* either, and it seems to me that too many people heap too much praise on some filmmakers just because they spent so much of the studios' resources re-re-re-re-editing movies that the studios took artistic control.