Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
VP19

'Sweet Music'...a 'Singin' In The Rain' moment

There were technical difficulties at the start of the film, and as a result, the voice track was out of sync with the action on the screen, and the discrepancy expanded to close to a half-minute, making the film unintentionally hilarious. Too bad for Ann Dvorak fans on her day, though to be fair she didn't have much screen time in this programmer.

TCM just put the film back in sync, though it was interrupted for about two seconds by color scenes of parachutes descending. Weird.

> {quote:title=VP19 wrote:}{quote}There were technical difficulties at the start of the film, and as a result, the voice track was out of sync with the action on the screen, and the discrepancy expanded to close to a half-minute, making the film unintentionally hilarious. Too bad for Ann Dvorak fans on her day, though to be fair she didn't have much screen time in this programmer.

Update at 8:09 A.M. eastern - it's back in synch....for now anyway.

There was also some problem at the start of the movie and all of the opening titles & credits were not shown.

SO - please, TCM Programmers, try to get this movie re-scheduled again soon.

I woke up extremely early this morning and saw a bit of *Sweet Music*. It wasn't "out of sync" while I was watching - but the "bug"/logo never went away for the five minutes or so that I watched. It was present during all of Vallee's song and all of Dvorak's dance routine.

Never noticed the "bug" being continuously up that long before. Weird.

Kyle In Holllywood

TCM couldn't mess up an airing of a mainstream classic that they show often. No they have to mess up the airing of a film that probably won't air again for at least five years.

VP19- A 30 second sync problem??? On my screen it was that way about 30 minutes in, and STAYED that way for at least another 10 minutes. I finally abandoned it altogether in a fit of frustration. Where are the friggin' quality control employees that are supposed to watch for this kind of thing? It was ruined from the beginning anyway w/ the opening credits, setting omitted. TCM doesnt give a rat's a$$ as long as we play our cable bill. Inother classic RUINED. Thanks TCM!!!

By "30 seconds," I mean the time between the action on screen and the dialogue. As someone else stated, the problems lasted for several minutes.

There was a similar issue a couple years back with "Artists and Models (1937)".

This was a Paramount film, meaning it was more difficult for TCM to reschedule, but they did.

I'm confident this (and Three Sons 'o Guns) will be rescheduled, hopefully sooner than later.

TCM deliberately does it to prevent bootlegging. I've seen it on SECRETS OF THE FRENCH POLICE, PASSIONATE FRIENDS & BROKEN BLOSSOMS. & others. Just the credits are frozen or blacked out.

I probably shouldnt have gotten so hot under the collar, but SWEET MUSIC is a big fave of mine, and it bugs me that they couldnt just take care of business. Im a big Rudy Vallee fan. We have his coffee table from his Hollywood Hills home. We purchased it from his widow after he died.

I DVR's SWEET MUSIC and on my recording there's a a card that comes up saying they're having technical dificulties. After which the screen went complete black and mute for what must be at least 5 minutes. The film comes back in mid stream with the trick trombone player doing an impression of an airplane. The film is in perfect sync once it comes on.

BixB- From the beginning, fast forward to about 30 minutes in. I think you're in for a bad surprise. That's what happened on my screen, and i cant see why it would be different on yours.