Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Deb23

TRAVELTALKS: Cape Breton Island

Did anyone see this short feature on TCM this morning? Unfortunately I caught only the last couple of minutes. Did my ears deceive me, or was Sydney really referred to as "the Pittsburgh of Canada"??

I grew up in that area, so I would have liked to have seen the entire Traveltalks - maybe it will run again sometime? I can remember when I was a little girl, I could look across the harbour and see the smoke belching out of the steel plant. Those were the days, eh? ;)

Every now and then, listing of shorts falls a little behind on the online schedule pages, and an uproar is heard on these boards, leading one to believe that many people are in the if-you-enjoy-shorts-as-much-as-I-do category.

The response to your question might lead one to perhaps change one’s beliefs.

The closing line of Cape Breton Island is “And so, as the shadows of twilight begin to fall over this Pittsburgh of Canada, we turn our camera on the setting sun, and most reluctantly say farewell to Cape Breton Island.” The cliché regarding Travel Talks is that they all end with the setting sun. This is one of the few that really does.

This short is scheduled to be shown again, Thursday, August 25, at 11:19pm ET. Happy belching.

Oh, I wish I had seen your post two days ago - I totally missed this short feature again. :(

I wasn't watching yesterday because it was Burt Lancaster day and I wasn't really interested - just goes to show you, you never know what you might be missing. ;)

TCM doesn't usually list the short features on their Canadian schedule, so I will have to remember to check the American schedule from now on.

LOL -- "Happy belching"! I caught the Cape Breton short and also was struck by Sydney's description as a farther-north Pittsburgh.

The TravelTalks generally really show their age, both in faded color and some of the corny scriptwriting, but overall I find them fascinating. There is one of the Paris World's Fair, however, that looks very contemporary to me. The people, the views of the various exhibition pavilions -- I can imagine walking through that scene.

UPDATE: I have literally just seen the schedule for tomorrow after typing the above (weird). "Paris on Parade" (1938) is scheduled for 12:21 p.m. after "Rose Marie."

Edited by: NewYorkGuy on Aug 29, 2011 12:29 PM