Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

13 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Anyone with any speculation on what happened to Strother Martin's character after Valance is killed?

My guess is he either went into politics or got a job cleaning out spittoons.

9jdQjHzLHYTfd4zreVrvCAs7ZRq-3LNfyKEeEh-k

"Friends, vote for me and I promise not to steal as much money from you as the other guy would."

My guess is he met up with another Valance-type bully along the way, with that insufferable sneer still on his face. Guys like him need to hide behind the toughest, meanest dude to make themselves feel just as important as the bully and superior to others.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

maybe the judge woulda suspended his sentence for taking out a lowlife.

I admit I wanted to see the lowlife shot daed.  DADE!  BILLY MUMY : "You be dead!"  Nonetheless, it's murder. 

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

at least we can be comforted by the thought that Rance Stoddard was honest enough to tell Hallie what really occurred. I bet that took the smirk off her face.

she probably thought Tom was too conceited to do such a thing and loose her she thinks she was such an indispensable cactus rose to um.

she probably didn't think he had that kinda indomitable integrity

I think Tom sacrificed his integrity, not to do what was best for all, but maybe just for her.  Don't like VERA?  I can see it, 'specially if you've looked at the flick multiple times... it's almost endlessly watchable. 

4 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

at least we can be comforted by the thought that Rance Stoddard was honest enough to tell Hallie what really occurred. I bet that took the smirk off her face.

she probably thought Tom was too conceited to do such a thing and loose her she thinks she was such an indispensable cactus rose to um.

she probably didn't think he had that kinda indomitable integrity.

he showed her!

:)

I think you gotta soft spot for Hallie.

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

I think you gotta soft spot for Hallie.

Nah slayton, I'd say it's probably more Nip's idolatry of John Wayne than it is that.

(...and after knowin' Nip as we do after all these years, somethin' tellin' me I'm right...pilgrim)

• 4 weeks later...

I bought what looks like a 'New/Old Stock' (NOS) copy of THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE last week from eBay.  It's still sealed in the thin kind of plastic wrap I used to see new VHS tapes wrapped in back in the '80s and '90s.  Plus, the Paramount video box doesn't have a bar code on it.  Bar codes started appearing on video boxes circa 1985/86; this release pre-dates that.

I find it a fun challenge to see what kind of old video releases I can find of certain movies.  There's no shortage of homevideo mediums to buy 'LIBERTY VALANCE' on so I tried to find the oldest VHS release I could.