Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Ice Follies of 1939" scheduled for Nov. 18, 2011

I recently posted about this film in the Lew Ayres thread. I just discovered this film through Classic Flix and I absolutely love it. Some people mistakenly credit Joan's cameo in Warners' IT'S A GREAT FEELING as her first Technicolor film, but the last ten minutes of ICE FOLLIES is in glorious, rich Technicolor. And it was made 10 years earlier.

Glad TCM is airing it. I will be curious to see what other viewers have to write about it in November.

To answer MovieGal53's question: No, the November schedule isn't up but if you're interested in a particular star or director you can enter that in the search window at the upper right of the screen and a schedule of movies pertaining to that person will appear. Some November showings are now included. Or, you can enter the name of the movie in that box and see if it's on the schedule. There's no way of knowing if the Nov. schedule (or these listings of Nov. showings) is complete and, as we all know, these schedules are subject to change.

Thanks johnnyhouston for the info about November's schedule and the search feature. After reading the posts about ICE FOLLIES OF 1939 I can't wait to see it.

Joan Crawford is one of my favorite actress's so this indeed should be a treat.

The film is much more than Joan on skates. To characterize it that way is really doing a disservice to the entire film in my opinion. The skating involving the main stars is actually very incidental, and the scenes with performers on ice are mostly done by a professional skating group. Joan is used more in a plot that concerns her character making it as a star in Hollywood while Jimmy's character continues with the ice show. Lew Ayres rounds out the romantic triangle.

*Thanks johnnyhouston for the info about November's schedule and the search feature. After reading the posts about ICE FOLLIES OF 1939 I can't wait to see it.*

For irredeemable Joan fans only. What a load of crap . . . Joan in the nadir of her career at MGM. Her career was in the skids: her movies weren't making money, she had been named Box Office Poison, she was now longer quite as beautiful (and seemed to be deliberately making herself less atttractive with the eyebrows, etc. IMHO). She thought it crap that the best the studio would give her was Sonja Henie plot and a Hedy Lamarr wig, two current sensations.

Which is why she PLEADED for the part of Crystal in THE WOMEN, even though it was a supporting role. She knew it had possibilities, and she was right. Soon she had Gable again for a leading man, and some strong roles at MGM for a couple of years. Then she saw the writing on the wall: as first Garbo and then Shearer retired, Joan did NOT move into the exalted Queen of the Lot position, but saw it going to Greer Garson. With Lana Turner taking the glamorous roles once considered Joan's domain, she left . . . to eventually resurrect her career at Warner Brothers.

But ICE FOLLIES may now be viewed as campy, and enjoyable on that level, but as an appropriate Crawford vehicle, it was the dregs . . . and Joan knew it.

I don't consider myself an "irredeemable" anything, but I can enjoy Joan Crawford as well as other actors and actresses on many different levels. If I wanted to see nothing but consistent good acting, I'd watch only Barbara Stanwyck movies. You need to realize that not everyone has the same criteria to be "properly" entertained that you have. Try to lighten up.

For those who have not seen it, I think you will find it interesting and have some unique things to say about ICE FOLLIES.

The cable guide gives it two stars. I would elevate it to two-and-a-half, and not just because I like all three performers, who are in their prime at MGM...but because it really is entertaining, if not entirely successful.

There's a scene where Joan walks in on Jimmy and Lew in bed, and that is something we don't see too often in Hollywood films from this era, especially at MGM. So there is a lot of to this film and a lot that people can find to discuss.

OK I admit I went overboard in denigrating this film, in attempting to place it in its historical context. It IS actually enjoyable, as was just about everything released during the studio system. It just didn't do anything for Joan's career, but added to her stress that she was becoming a has-been. Of course we now know her determination would win out, and she would reinvent herself successfully more than once after this; in fact with her next film.

As I said, ICE FOLLIES is enjoyable, it just didn't make a good vehicle for Joan at a time when she needed someting stronger.

Joan did have the same trouble at the end of her tenure at Warners when they gave her THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS. She was not particularly fond of that script but did it to finish the contract and collect a paycheck.

She reinvented herself again as a freelancer at RKO with SUDDEN FEAR which earned her an Oscar nomination.

She was a survivor.