Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fthc6

Backround Music Dr Wu

Silent movies were usually accompanied by a theater organ. The theater organ was a major part on the viewing experience. Why is it not utilized more often in these presentations. I can t believe the clarinet is used in Dr Wu. Horrible

When this film premired on TCM some years ago, I couldn't believe that Time Warner really paid someone for the score that accompanies MR. WU, I ended up watching it with the sound off because it was so annoying. While I realize that the score was trying to evoke some feeling of Chinese/Asian music, it gets completely in the way of the film by calling attention to itself. Time Warner was ripped off by that musician.

It is clear that this person does not understand the subtleties involved in scoring a silent film. Even the cobbled together scores for HE WHO GETS SLAPPED, THE MONSTER and THE UNHOLY THREE are better than the crappy score written for MR. WU. The scores for TELL IT TO THE MARINES, MOCKERY, THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME and THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA are all great examples of how a silent film can be scored. In every case the music complements the action on screen, but does not overewhelm it. I really wish that Mr. Wu can one day be re-scored, it's a decent film that doesn't deserve its current fate.

*{quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}When this film premired on TCM some years ago, I couldn't believe that Time Warner really paid someone for the score that accompanies MR. WU, I ended up watching it with the sound off because it was so annoying. While I realize that the score was trying to evoke some feeling of Chinese/Asian music, it gets completely in the way of the film by calling attention to itself.*

I agree that the music for this "silent" film is highly distracting. I found myself listening to the music, rather than following the plot. Therefore, just as you, I switched to mute for relief during the entire movie.

Some silent movies are much better watched in silence, including those in which the original music has been retained and not been replaced in the restoration by music (however clever or ingenious in its own right) that is designed to compete with, rather than to enhance, the movie! After all, it is the movie which most of us have come to see--not hear.

In summary:

It is worthwhile to test any silent movie to see whether the viewing experience can be improved by watching it in *silence.*

Gerald

> {quote:title=fthc6 wrote:}{quote}

> Silent movies were usually accompanied by a theater organ. The theater organ was a major part on the viewing experience. Why is it not utilized more often in these presentations. I can t believe the clarinet is used in Dr Wu. Horrible

>

The sound of an organ reproduced inadequately for home TV viewing is probably much worse than some replacement. Provided, of course, that the replacement is carefully designed to supplement, rather than overpower, the movie.

Gerald

All I need to see is that Gaylord Carter is doing the soundtrack for a silent film and I turn the sound off. His redundant organ scores have ruined a few movies for me until I remembered that I have a mute button.

But hey, some people are into that but I prefer an orchestral score in most cases. I do have to admit though that the Vivek Maddala score for ACE OF HEARTS annoyed me, it kept reminding me of ONE STEP BEYOND.