Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
markbeckuaf

Joan Blondell for SOTM!!!!

What a snappy dame!!! Wise-cracking saucy dish! One of my all time faves, with tons and tons of pre-code flix to her name, along with a far-ranging career spanning the decades! I think it would be totally awesome to feature Joan as SOTM!!! C'mon who is on board??

As long as they play "Smarty" so I can watch her get slapped and like it...:D

I do liker her... going to fill up my DVR on her day next week....

I too would love Joan Blondell for star of the month. I've seen most of her early movies and there are a lot of hidden gems that TCM rarely or never airs. One of my favorites, Kansas City Princess, hasn't aired in at least 8 years, as far as i can tell. and that was a middle-of-the-night showing. And two of her Paramount movies, There's Always a Woman and Good Girls Go to Paris, are both really enjoyable, and possibly her best performances in the late-1930's (along with Stand-In). TCM aired both of those once or twice in the past few years, but There's Always a Woman especially is one of the greatest movies of the 30's detective screwball comedy genre, something i would consider an "essential" that deserves frequent airings. (too bad its a Paramount)

Smarty is kind of an oddball of a movie i think. was it based on a book or a play? i haven't seen it in awhile but i remember it being very stage-y and dialogue-driven, and the characters were kind of unrealistic/ over the top. i did really enjoy Joan's ridiculously sexy wardrobe in the movie. That one undressing scene near the end is one of the best of the numerous gratuitous undressing scenes in her pre-code movies (VERY brief though, so best enjoyed in slo-mo)

Joan certainly has enough film credits to be SOTM, although many of these, especially the very early and late entries in her filmography, are supporting roles and sometimes just walk-ons. Joan had some hard financial circumstances during her life, thus she worked up until the time of her death. I show only films here, but she also did a great deal of TV work including quite a few TV movies I do not show. I count a total of 90 feature films that survive from her filmography.

1981 The Woman Inside

1979 The Glove

1979 The Champ

1978 Grease

1977 Opening Night

1977 The Baron

1976 Won Ton Ton: Dog Who Saved Hollywood

1971 Support Your Local Gunfighter

1970 The Phynx

1969 Big Daddy (No confirmation this still exists)

1968 Kona Coast

1968 Stay Away, Joe

1967 Waterhole #3

1966 Ride Beyond Vengeance

1965 Cincinnati Kid

1964 Advance to the Rear

1961 Angel Baby

1957 Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?

1957 This Could Be the Night

1957 Desk Set

1957 Lizzie

1956 The Opposite Sex

1951 The Blue Veil

1950 For Heaven's Sake

1947 Christmas Eve

1947 Nightmare Alley

1947 The Corpse Came C.O.D.

1945 Adventure

1945 Don Juan Quilligan

1945 A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

1943 Cry 'Havoc'

1942 Lady for a Night

1941 Three Girls About Town

1941 Model Wife

1941 Topper Returns

1940 I Want a Divorce

1940 Two Girls on Broadway

1939 The Amazing Mr. Williams

1939 Good Girls Go to Paris

1939 The Kid from Kokomo

1939 East Side of Heaven

1939 Off the Record

1938 There's Always a Woman

1937 Stand-In

1937 The Perfect Specimen

1937 Back in Circulation

1937 The King and the Chorus Girl

1936 Gold Diggers of 1937

1936 Three Men on a Horse

1936 Stage Struck

1936 Bullets or Ballots

1936 Sons o' Guns

1936 Colleen

1935 Miss Pacific Fleet

1935 We're in the Money

1935 Broadway Gondolier

1935 Traveling Saleslady

1934 Kansas City Princess

1934 Dames

1934 Smarty

1934 He Was Her Man

1934 I've Got Your Number

1933 Havana Widows

1933 Footlight Parade

1933 Goodbye Again

1933 Gold Diggers of 1933

1933 Blondie Johnson

1933 Broadway Bad

1932 Lawyer Man

1932 Central Park

1932 Three on a Match

1932 Big City Blues

1932 Miss Pinkerton

1932 Make Me a Star

1932 The Famous Ferguson Case

1932 The Crowd Roars

1932 The Greeks Had a Word for Them

1932 Union Depot

1931 Blonde Crazy

1931 The Reckless Hour

1931 Night Nurse

1931 Big Business Girl

1931 My Past

1931 The Public Enemy

1931 God's Gift to Women

1931 Illicit

1931 Millie

1931 Other Men's Women

1930 Sinners' Holiday

1930 The Office Wife

Wow, I hadn't realized how many movies she'd done. I liked the films of hers I did see. She definitely deserves to be a SOTM (er, that is, the month after Joel McCrea...)

*What a snappy dame!!! Wise-cracking saucy dish! One of my all time faves, with tons and tons of pre-code flix to her name, along with a far-ranging career spanning the decades! I think it would be totally awesome to feature Joan as SOTM!!! C'mon who is on board??*

*Mark*, I'm completely on board. I just want Joel McCrea to get his first. I love Joan Blondell.

My first exposure to Miss Blondell was also on Here Come the Brides. Of course, this was the 80s and I was watching reruns on CBN (the Christian Broadcast Network) later renamed The Family Channel.

I had no idea she was a movie star till my grandmother told me.

I don't remember the first time I fell in love with Joel McCrea. LOL

i was thinking there might be a way to work some Blondell into a Joel McCrea SOTM, but it seems they never appeared together in any movies or anything else, despite both being in showbiz at the exact same time, from the late-20's through the 70's. They even shared many of the same co-stars in the same years too. so i guess it is mostly chance that they never worked together.

That would have been interesting casting, sarcastic Joan and sweet, staid Joel. I could see them together in a screwball comedy.

*"mark, I assume you know about this: http://moviemorlocks.com/ "* - misswonderly

Nice "shout out" for the Morlocks' Joan Blondell "blog-a-thon" MissW. Just want to add that it continues with new posts through August 24th.

Make a special effort to read the recent post about *Blonde Crazy* by 'morlockjeff' -

http://moviemorlocks.com/2011/08/21/two-peas-in-a-pod-blondell-and-cagney-in-blonde-crazy/

... if only to enjoy all the great photos. (Cagney tubside with Blondell. Yowzaa!)

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=racketbuster wrote:T}{quote}wo of her Paramount movies, There's Always a Woman and Good Girls Go to Paris, are both really enjoyable....There's Always a Woman especially is one of the greatest movies of the 30's detective screwball comedy genre.(too bad its a Paramount)

>

Hello angry tennis player (sorry...that's what your name makes me think of!)

Just wanted to point out, to be exact, that those two Blondell movies you mentioned as being Paramounts are actually Columbia Pictures.

But I agree, they're good fun and should be shown more often.

Today is SO awesome!!! Thank you, TCM!!! Still wanting to see Joan featured as SOTM someday soon!!!

Racketbuster, thanks for that breakdown of some of Joan's flix! I've seen THE GREEKS HAD A WORD FOR THEM on a Public Domain collection of flix, and it's awesome! The quality is, of course, a little shaky, but I appreciated seeing it!

I'm just loving "Stand-In," airing as I type. I think it was 3 years ago I suggested it as a film to show -- glad it's finally made it!

*The Greeks Had a Word For Them (AKA 'Three Broadway Girls', with Lowell Sherman, Ina Claire) 1932 - this one does not appear to be a rights issue, since this movie is currently considered public domain (you can even watch it at archive.org). maybe there is difficulty obtaining a good-condition print of the movie? excellent movie anyway, even worth seeing in rough condition.*

One of my favorite movies. Don't forget Madge Evans.

What's also fascinating about this film is how casting might have gone had history peoceeded a bit differently. Evans only got the role after a bout of pleurisy forced Carole Lombard to bow out. And according to trade papers at the time, the part Blondell played was initially offered to...Jean Harlow. Imagine "Greeks" with Ina, Carole and Jean...or Ina, Carole and Joan.

I'm surprised they havent done her already. I get tired of the same 2 dozen or so SOTM in constant rotation. Give some others a showcase once in awhile.........

Beats me. But her output was so large, I'm sure she made enough to qualify.........She definitely starred in some As after she left WB in her later career............

Of course it all depends on how one defines an 'A' picture but based on the Filmography I have from the book The Leading Ladies, Blondell really was only a star (i.e. received the highest female billing), in a few 'A' pictures.

Almost all of those 30s pictures were 'B' pictures expect for ones like The Public Enemy, but in this film Harlow had billing above Joan.

If Gold Diggers of 1933, Footlight Parade, Bullet or Ballots and Dames are 'A' pictures than they qualify.

In the later 'A' pictures like Desk Set, Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter, and THe Cincinnati Kid there are female leads that have higher billing than her.

Note: The book The Leading Ladies is one I would recommend. It is a great book. Its focus is one 6 actreses; Crawford, Davis, DeHavilland, Russell, Stanwyck and Joan Blondell.

So in this book Joan Blondell is a star. Even if that is a star of mostly 'B' low budget pictures.

I didnt mean starring in as carrying the picture, she was obviously in supporting roles in many of them (particularly the later ones) but I dont think a supporting player (one who played a lot of second leads) should be disqualified from being SOTM..........

She was in Tree Grows in Brooklyn and I'm not sure about Centennial Summer (may have been something similar in theme.....too lazy to look it up now...........).......

Edited by: Hibi on Aug 25, 2011 6:26 PM

I don't think its worth the trouble to try to distinquish between Blondell's A movies and B movies, especially since most of her best performances were in B-movies. Anyway, her only real A-movies during her 1930's years were the Busby Berkeley musicals. Everything else she did was low budget programmers. (The Public Enemy might have also qualified as an A-movie at the time, but Blondell was only in it for a few minutes so that hardly counts.)

Blondell was the leading lady in at least a few dozen movies, in addition to the ones where she shared the lead with another actress (like her Glenda Farrell gold digger movies) or was one of many leads in an ensemble cast. So there'd still be plenty of decent movies for TCM to choose from, even if you omit all movies she was in where she was a relatively minor player, and the handful of not-that-good ones (such as 'Stage Struck' and 'Off the Record', to name a few i don't personally care much for).

here's the Joan Blondell movies i'd consider first if i were programming a star of the month -

i'm purposely leaving out all the Blondell films that were shown this month on SUTS to make the list shorter.

Note that all but a few of them have Blondell in a lead (or shared lead) part:

The Office Wife 1930 (supporting part, but it's very sexy)

Blonde Crazy 1931

Night Nurse 1931 (supporting part)

Miss Pinkerton 1932

The Famous Ferguson Case 1932

Union Depot 1932

Blondie Johnson 1932

The Greeks Had a Word for Them 1932 (ensemble cast but she steals it)

Broadway Bad 1933

Havana Widows 1933

Goodbye Again 1933

I've Got Your Number 1934

Kansas City Princess 1934

Smarty 1934

Miss Pacific Fleet 1935

Gold Diggers of 1937

The King and the Chorus Girl 1937

There's Always a Woman 1938

Good Girls Go to Paris 1939

East Side of Heaven 1939

Model Wife 1941

Three Girls About Town 1941 (supporting part)

Nightmare Alley 1947 (supporting part)

Edited by: racketbuster on Aug 25, 2011 8:21 PM