Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Possessed" starring Joan Crawford showing tomorrow night, Aug. 21

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}

> (Alice White) - I forgot she was in that. What role did she play?

I missed seeing it this week (but did get it recorded) but haven't seen it in a while, and haven't got a chance to look back at the recording, so can't exactly recall how her role fits into the story, but she plays a character named Gracie who turns up every once in a while in the movie. Can't recall if she was supposed to be a maid or something, but I seem to recall a scene in which she delivers something (like a cool drink, maybe?) to Sydney Greenstreet in a room where he is in a meeting with several other men.

I'll be checking it out soon.

As much a fan as I am of Alice White I must admit she was a bit over her head in the early talkies in which she was the star and was expected to carry the whole movie. She just couldn't always handle it. But after she took a few years off and returned about 1933 in support & character roles she was just fine. She was more at ease, seemed more confident and enjoying herself. In just the last couple weeks three of these later Alice movies have been on TCM: PICTURE SNATCHER (1933), SWEET MUSIC (1935) and ANNABEL TAKES A TOUR. (1938). And of course, FLAMINGO ROAD.

She was also just fine in some of her silent movies, such as HAROLD TEEN (1928) but unfortunately most of those are very hard to find (and of course unfortunately as good as they are, we don't get to hear her voice)..