Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Warner Pre-Codes that exist which have never been shown on TCM

ZenobiaK

The following Pre-Code Warner Bros. films have never been shown on TCM even though

they exist. They have also not been released by Warner Archive.

"Under A Texas Moon" 1930 All Technicolor Musical with Frank Fay, Myrna Loy (UCLA)

"Second Floor Mystery" 1930 Mystery Comedy with Loretta Young

"Recaptured Love" 1930 Pre-Code Love Triangle Drama with John Halliday

"Wide Open" 1930 Comedy with Edward Everett Horton

"Three Faces East" 1930 Spy Drama with Constance Bennett and Erich Von Stroheim

"Bought" 1931 with Constance Bennett and Ben Lyon

"Oh Sailor Behave" 1930 Musical Coemdy with Charles King, Noah Beery and Irene Delroy

"Those Who Dance" 1930 with Monte Blue and Lila Lee

"General Crack" 1930 with John Barrymore (Silent Version, Deteriorated Sound Print)

"Sweethearts and Wives" 1930 with Billie Dove

"The Bad Man" 1930 with Walter Huston (Only known print at UCLA missing one reel)

"Father's Son" 1931 with Lewis Stone and Leon Janney

"Misbehaving Ladies" 1931 with Ben Lyon and Lila Lee

"Too Young To Marry" 1931 with Loretta Young and Grant Withers

"The Lady Who Dared" 1931 with Billie Dove

"Drag" 1929 with Richard Barthelmess

TCM owns the right to all of these but has never shown them and seems to ignore requests for these titles with no explanation. The trailer to "Misbehaving Ladies" was on the TCM site about a year ago until I requested the title. The email was ignored but the trailer disappeared soon after for some strange reason.

Please contact TCM and the Warner Archive to request these titles so that they can finally be viewed again. What good does it do if these titles have survived if no one is able to see them? They might as well be lost.

Edited by: ZenobiaK on Aug 21, 2011 7:22 PM

Edited by: ZenobiaK on Aug 21, 2011 7:23 PM

i'd love to see 'Misbehaving Ladies'. Lila Lee and Ben Lyon? i like them both.

I am also curious about those early Loretta Young movies. She and co-star Grant Withers were having a fling during the time they made those movies, so i wonder how much of that chemistry ended up on film.

I have a copy of Three Faces East that looks good enough to broadcast. I wonder where it came from?

Second Floor Murder Mystery has been restored, so I don't know why that isn't exhibited.

One I might add to the list - has 1930's "Divorce Among Friends" ever been broadcast on TCM?

One thing I've noticed about TCM over the last five years since they've tried to become more "hip". They'll usually only broadcast a very early talkie from 1929-1931 if it has a performer that is known today. For example, last year's SUTS day for Walter Pidgeon had a rare broadcast of 1930's "Sweet Kitty Bellairs". That's why I was bowled over when they recently trotted out 1930's "The Woman Racket". Unless you're a silent fan and therefore know who Blanche Sweet is , the cast is entirely obscure. Likewise for May's broadcast of "Showgirl in Hollywood".

So many of the early Warner talkies had stars that were only stars at that particular studio for a couple of years after the transition to sound and then did not have much of a career in movies if at all afterwards.

"So many of the early Warner talkies had stars that were only stars at that particular studio for a couple of years after the transition to sound and then did not have much of a career in movies if at all afterwards."

i think that was true at all the studios. I often hear people mentioning how so many silent stars didn't make the transition to talkies, when really there was a lot of turnover of stars well into the 1930's as well. it was a very tulmultuous time for the studios, and they were throwing everything at the wall to see what would stick. If they sensed someone wasn't as big a box office draw as they were hoping, out the door they go and in with someone new. And there were many silent stars who did successfully make the transition to talkies, and even had hit movies during that time, only to fall out of favor a few years later.
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently got a bunch of these titles--BOUGHT, THOSE WHO DANCE, LADY WHO DARED, THREE FACDES EAST, RECAPTURED LOVE, NUMBERED MEN, WIDE OPEN and THE GREAT DIVIDE. I've only watched a couple--BOUGHT, which I liked a lot. Constance Bennett gives a good performance as does Ben Lyon. LADY WHO DARED was ok--THOSE WHO DANCE I liked. William "Stage" Boyd as "Diamond Joe" Jennings was particularly good--a read nasty in this one. Monte Blue was only so-so as the hero of the piece.

Archived