Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All Day Peter Lawford ?

Ascotrudgeracer

In 116 films, you would think there would be ONE memorable moment, but I challenge anyone to find one in the career of Lawford.

In his defense, the man was never given much "to chew on," but players (the great ones) find a way to make something out of gossamer.

I think he must have had a fine work ethic and knew how to hit his marks, but his life's work is the epitome of a nothing-burger. Marrying JFK's sister was his zenith...finding women for the Kennedy boys (MM and others) shows what he became.

Well said, darkblue. He's very well cast as Laurie in *Little Women*: good-looking, pleasant, rather weak in spirit. Ascotrudgeracer has a point about his career as a whole; Lawford isn't a major player. However, the day offers a look at the lighter side of MGM during some of its glory years, and some fans will enjoy that.

And let's face it, for some of us who've been recording like crazy--for me, that's nine Jean Gabin films, with six Linda Darnell movies coming up, etc.--today is a day to catch our breaths.

I want to know why Peter Lawford is so abhorent yet no one says anything about people who were basically supporting players like Ben Johnson, Anne Francis, and frankly Linda Darnell. Is is because Johnson is a manly man and Francis & Darnell are beautiful women, and Lawford just dismissed as a Sinatra lackey?

I didn't even watch any films yesterday because I don't particularly like Burt Lancaster. I'll concede he was a huge star but there are others I'd have rather been honored.

I've like the films I've watched today. Lawford was handsome and was pretty good at comedy. I even liked the early film today with Richard Greene, Rogue's March.

*I want to know why Peter Lawford is so abhorent yet no one says anything about people who were basically supporting players like Ben Johnson, Anne Francis, and frankly Linda Darnell.*

probably my favorite film with Lawford was not shown today on TCM, but coincidentally (is today his B-Day?) it WAS on this morning on FMC-Lubitsch's CLUNY BROWN. Great fun, and an excellent cast IMHO with Jennifer Jones, Charles Boyer, a sexy Helen Walker (when wasn't she), and priceless character roles from Richard Haydn and especially Una O'Connor. TCM should try getting the rights and showing it.

Linda Darnell was most definitely NOT a "*basically supporting player".* She was a leading lady from her first film (HOTEL FOR WOMEN), in her second film had a costarring role to one of Hollywood's top stars of that time (Tyrone Power)- in fact hers was to main role (DAYTIME WIFE); and she was solo billed above the title in her third film (STAR DUST). A few times in her career she was second lead, but she was always given STAR billing.

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

> Linda Darnell was most definitely NOT a "*basically supporting player".* She was a leading lady from her first film (HOTEL FOR WOMEN), in her second film had a costarring role to one of Hollywood's top stars of that time (Tyrone Power)- in fact hers was to main role (DAYTIME WIFE); and she was solo billed above the title in her third film (STAR DUST). A few times in her career she was second lead, but she was always given STAR billing.

I stand corrected. I don't have FMC so I've only seen her in Letter to 3 Wives & No Way Out--the 1st an ensemble film and the 2nd she is 3rd lead behind Portier & Widmark at least in my mind. I will probably watch some tomorrow, but the point I was trying to make is that I feel like Lawford was a pretty big star, especially early in his career, and why not have him as an honoree on SUTS? Maybe he's just not "manly" enough for some viewers.

Honestly I don't have anything against Ben Johnson or Anne Francis or Linda Darnell, but it seems when we have this SUTS in August, if it's someone that the manly men here don't approve, then they shouldn't be included, no matter whether anyone else likes them or not.

I dont think it has anything to do with Lawford being "unmanly". I agree, though after thinking about it, He has as much right to being a SUTS player as Anne Francis........

:) Lawford was a man who overcame a rocky start in life to become a popular working actor who already had a strong career before he married a Kennedy. Maybe that was his undoing.

*The Biography Channel* has a piece that shows his strong support for civil rights from boyhood. In fact there's an account of his first encounter with Ambassador Kennedy that you have to hear to believe. It was way before they became in-laws. His son, Christopher, is an actor and humanitarian as well.

I love *Rogue's March* for that catchy theme but think the story's good too. I'm watching *Royal Wedding* and am waiting for *Good News.* I'm sorry *The Longest Day* and *Dead Ringer* are not on

as he's playing two very different characters in them and showing his versatility. He deserves his day. B-)

I liked Lawford in "It Should Happen To You" as well as other films already mentioned.

I must say after seeing his 1955 episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents titled "The Long Shot" it is clear he could have done more in the mystery/crime genre.

> {quote:title=Ascotrudgeracer wrote:}{quote}There's so much vile stuff about Lawford in this, the "information age."

> Sometimes I think everybody on earth will be called a homosexual...why is that inuendo so widespread?

> Who is next...Duke Wayne?

It's because people like gossip and the more salacious the better.

Archived