Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Burt Lancaster Day

Phew, I almost thought I missed a movie with 1940s decor.

Gotta say, though, I never before sat all the way through Sweet Smell Of Success. Boy, was Curtis Brooklyn, but dis movie was good. Who the heck is Susan Harrison, and why did she never act again. And Sam Levene, watta guy, watta actor.

Darned good movie. And oh those shots of New Yawk.

I'm more confused than you are. I heard Ben say that Burt thought this was his best work, then I saw him supposedly jabbering in Italian. I couldn't understand how his best work would involve his speaking in a language he didn't even understand.

*The biggest disappointment of my day with TCM and Burt Lancaster was "The Leopard" which was shown in the 8:00 PM prime-time slot. It's no wonder I had never heard of it or seen it before! The cinematography was wonderful but the story itself was altogether boring.*

*This isn't the first disappointment in the "Summer Under The Stars" series and I'm certain it won't be the last. Every day this month I've been disappointed in some of the movies that were chosen to represent a star's body of work. This month has been more like one in which TCM bought the films no one wants to see. That's not to say that most stars didn't have a few films shown that were their best but the rest is not much more than time filler.*

The film can be boring, but you have to remember why. It's a film about boring, rich aristocrats who live in fancy mansions, with fabulous interior decorations and lavish costumes. These people talk about politics and things which aren't that exciting. Sure it could have been more entertaining, but that would have missed the point of the film and any unrealistic additional subplots were not necessary here.

More importantly, it's about the changing times and the fact that the aristocrats would never be the same again, most notably realized by Lancaster's character. That and him realizing that he'd an old man and can't have a woman like Cardinale at that point in his life.

I think it's a great film. Not fun to watch over and over again, but still great.

I believe your reply was to a post about I Walked Alone but that movie isn't anything like what you describe below. I Walked Alone is noir with Burt, Douglas, Corey and Liz Scott.

What movie are you refering to?

I have to disagree with those with dislike The Leopard. It is one of the finest films ever made, and Lancaster's performance is simply stunning, remarkably rich in it subtleties, even though he isn't actually talking. (A single example, looking at Greuze's Death of the Just Man, instead of lighting his cigar with a nearby candle, Prince Salina takes out a match, uses the candle to light it, and then uses the match to light his cigar.) No other film shows the combination of power and grace that is the aristocratic ideal. It is an obvious inspiration for The Godfather, since both movies have the same plot (a young man saves his family and is corrupted in the process). It is full of remarkable touches, such as Delon and Cardinale's flirtation in the many abandoned rooms of the palace. No, Lancaster isn't having an affair with Claudia Cardinale's character. As an aristocrat he has no compunction in dragging along his family priest while he goes to an assignation, but an affair with his nephew's wife would be unforgiveable.

>Tonight's Premiere showing of The Leopard on TCM made the NYTimes today - in the "Home" section! It seems the film is a favorite of interior (and other) designers for its "fantastic visual treats."

>

>http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/garden/the-leopard-and-its-lush-interiors.html?ref=todayspaper

Thanks for your link. The sets, costumes, and hairstyles were beautiful.

I just finished watching it. I wouldn't say the Leopard was my favorite film ever but it was definitely worth watching (for the sets & costumes alone). I love how in so many scenes the colors of the costumes matches the colors of the sets. It was a really great use of color.

But it is definitely a very important film in Lancaster's career. And his performance (even dubbed) was really powerful. I love the story of how Visconti was disappointed he was cast at first but Lancaster ended up earning the respect and friendship of the director.

This was also the youngest I've seen Alain Delon. He was as pretty as the sets and costumes. I know someone suggested him for the next SUTS. I certainly wouldn't mind. :x

Burt Lancaster didn't do well in comedies, I have to believe the roles were never well written for him. *The Hallelujah Trail*, now there's a picture I should really love. Its got Burt and Lee (how I adore her) Remick, how can it miss? Somehow it just doesn't click for me, although I can just watch and look at the stars (a group of still photos could do as well). I do enjoy watching *Tough Guys* with Burt and Kirk spoofing their "tough guy" images and its a "buddy" film , kind of like "O K Corral".

>I believe your reply was to a post about I Walked Alone but that movie isn't anything like what you describe below. I Walked Alone is noir with Burt, Douglas, Corey and Liz Scott.

The movie's called I WALK ALONE, not "walked" (if you want to walk in the past tense, you're going to have to do it with a zombie).

*I have never seen SORRY, WRONG NUMBER...*

*Sorry, Wrong Number* is really Barbara Stanwyck's picture, not really a good place to start if you want to look for good Lancaster pictures. Thinking of Lancaster's work as a whole, he seems to be miscast in SWN. Not a case of his hitting his stride.

You should see Delon in "Purple Noon" and "Rocco and His Brothers". That's when he broke onto the scene in 1960. They're both really good films, and he's obviously even younger then.

He's good in "The Leopard", but I prefer seeing him playing evil, dangerous characters such as hitmen, gangsters, con artists, thieves, etc. Playing a prissy character isn't his strongest suit, despite his looks.

Also, he and Lancaster made another movie together, "Scorpio", which was also shown Thursday.

Yeah, it's amazing how vibrant and young he looks in that film, whereas a year later, he played an old somber judge in "Judgment at Nuremberg".

Can't believe those films were only a year apart and that shows you how versatile he was.