Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Whthpnd2hllywd

What about psychological thrillers?

Like The Snake Pit, I wouldnt really call it horror, or Night of The Hunter, M, or Rear Window, not slasher films or even scary but a little twisted and makes you think? This is my favorite genre :)

"Silence of the Lambs" is a modern classic suspensful, horrifying and unforgetable. "Zodiac" (2007) is also worth a look

"The Omen" is another psychological thriller - one of the most intense psychological thrillers, imo! Elements of horror, of course, but a movie that makes you think. Getting to older movies, Hitchcock was the master of the psychological thriller (throwing in a no-brainer for the end of the day). I usually don't like horror movies but I may be persuaded to watch one if there's a psychological element to it, so I'm with you on that, Whthpnd.

I thought SILENCE OF THE LAMBS was one of the silliest films I ever saw, with characters doing the dumbest things. ZODIAC, on the other hand, I found to be superb. THE SNAKE PIT is one of my favorite movies, and contains Olivia de Havilland's finest performance. I would add some films by Brian De Palma like, DRESSED TO KILL, SISTERS, OBSESSION, BLOW OUT, FEMME FATALE, THE FURY and more.

Oh De Palma. Obsession is a good one too. And anything Hitchcock, where the uneasiness is more in what you dont see than what you do. I thought Silence of the Lambs was okay, it's not in my top 10 but Hopkins is stellar in it. I like most of Orson Welles films too, although most of those would probably fall into the noir category. But Touch of Evil, The trial, great flicks.

I just discovered the "Thriller" series on netflix, the twilight zone rip hosted by Karloff? Some of those are good too. :)

In response to the original poster, you mentioned Night of the Hunter. I felt Robert Mitchum was especially effective on this one as well as Cape Fear because him as a villain is just so twisted wrong. He had that likeableness, that quality of "o theres ol Uncle Mitchum" -though no relation to me -that seeing him portray an evil minister in Night of the Hunter, or a depraved pedophile on cape fear was just one of those experiences that turned my world upside down. Everything was wrong, these things aren't supposed to happen! It really worked.