Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BELA LUGOSI for SOTM

• 3 months later...

I want to express my appreciation to this community for the interest and passion they have shown for Lugosi, which was initially signaled last October with the launch of this thread by Prince Saliano, and continued with the launch of three Lugosi threads following last Sunday night's presentation on TCM. I'm sure this has not gone unoticed by TCM and may lead to more exhibition of his films in the future. I don't know if he will ever be "star of the month" or not, but there certainly is room for "doing more" with Lugosi. His filmography is extensive and I have posted a lot of it to this thread in the form of pictures and film links. Lugosi worked for so many studios and in so many genres, that his filmography represents a "core sample" of silent and early sound era American filmmaking. Nowadays he is associated with his low budget schlock film appearances, but people forget that he worked for almost all the majors in the early part of his career.

I hope that TCM will. make more room for him in it's future programming calendar.

• 4 months later...

> {quote:title=ThelmaTodd wrote:}{quote}Tonight TCM will play the *Black Cat (1934)* at 11:15 PM Eastern time! A real *Lugosi/Karloff* classic- enjoy the show!

Big deal, he's still not SOTM which is what this thread is all about. TCM couldn't even make it a BELA/boris night with BLACK CAT, THE RAVEN, THE INVISIBLE RAY, and BLACK FRIDAY.

Hi infinite1,

My post was to inform Lugosi fans. As to where to put the notice, I thought this thread appropriate, as it contains so much informative material about him.

I do share your general frustration; an evening (if not a month) devoted to him, especially his lesser known flms, would be appreciated by many!

speakthelma.gif

• 5 months later...

It's early on Wednesday morning right now, but TCM will be airing *Fifty Million Frenchmen (1931),* originally a musical comedy that features an early appearance by *Bela Lugosi*. He plays a fakir, Rarely seen film!

(The title refers to a Maurice Chevalier song, where he asks the girl for a kiss, just one kiss, because "Fifty million Frenchmen can't be wrong!")