Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ARE WE ALL A BUNCH OF NERDS?

Hi misswonderly and Dargo!

A corollary to "safely average" is that of "safe passions". In our culture, it is not considered "nerdy" for a sports fan to have innumerable facts and ballplayer statistics committed to memory and to manifest a high degree of passion for same. It's also not considered nerdy to have a "passion" for e.g. golf, or tennis. Same can be said for those who have all the facts and doings of Paris Hilton's life, or details of the "Jersey Shore" cast at their fingertips! On these "subjects", it is safe to manifest encyclopedic knowledge, without arousing the suspicions of the crowd.

I once met a sportsfan who prided himself on knowing which teams won all the World Series of the past, over 100 years. I tested him by asking "Who won the World Series of 1949?", "The New York Yankees!" (Correct. He even knew who the pitchers were) Now I can be pretty terrible, in a nice kind of way, and little did he know that I was setting him up for the "piece de resistance" by asking the next question: "Who was the US President in 1949?". Uh-oh! The big uh-oh! The big jaw drop and blank! To know all about ballplayers is "mainstream" and hence non-nerdy; to know about the past Presidents is a different matter!

Hi Dargo,

I always say that whenever one's "cred" as a "normal" person borders upon being questioned in this society, one can "reassure" everyone by switching to the subject to ballgames, Snooki or the Kardashians!

The "selective ignorance" we are talking about, (As in not knowing who Eisenhower was) is basically fueled by poor education.

I believe Dargo is alluding to the French philospher Rene Descartes, who famously concluded,

" I think, therefore I am."

But I prefer the Monty Python interpretation:

"...and Rene Descartes is a drunken ****

I drink, therefore I am."

(Now there's nerdyness for you - anyone who uses any excuse to quote Monty Python. ;) )

Yes, the helpful Mr. FredCDobbs was the one who first taught me how to post pictures here. It was over a year ago, though, and I cannot find the thread.

A more recent thread about it is here:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=160556&tstart=135

As for quotes, you can try these instructions. I personally was too dense to follow them, but I'm sure there are some uber nerds around here who can figure it out better than I could (textbook example of "nerd" being used in a positive way.)

Here's the link on how to do that cool quote thing: ( good luck ! )

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=160492&tstart=150

Hi darkblue!

I found your answer- it's an icon that shows up in your text formatting bar when you are posting. It's immediately right of the smile button-looks like two lilac colored balloons. (Called quote original) I knew there had to be a simple way to do it!

> {quote:title=Dargo wrote:}{quote}Hey! And speakin' o' Truman here, HERE'S a little trivia question I'm sure one of my fellow nerds around here will get right off the bat:

>

> What do Harry S. Truman and David O. Selznick have in common?

>

>

> (...and no, it wasn't "a thing" they might've both had for Jennifer Jones!) ;)

>

I once heard that Selznick's "O" was supposed to be a tribute to the tragically short-lived Olive Thomas, but who knows? It could very well just be legend.

No way! Ive been called an elitist or a snob, but never a nerd, not that thats a bad thing! I have found that people older than me (im 29) cant STAND being corrected though, which ive been known to do from time to time. I cant help it, if you say your favorite movie is whatever, know what the movie's about and who's in it (and the year,and director, and fun facts....) :)

(revenge of the nerds talent show, i cant find the thread about embedding videos and havent learned yet, ugh!)

> {quote:title=NoraCharles1934 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Dargo wrote:}{quote}Hey! And speakin' o' Truman here, HERE'S a little trivia question I'm sure one of my fellow nerds around here will get right off the bat:

> >

> > What do Harry S. Truman and David O. Selznick have in common?

> >

> >

> > *(...and no, it wasn't "a thing" they might've both had for Jennifer Jones!)* ;)

> >

> I always thought Lauren Bacall was supposed to be the actress Mr. Truman had "a thing" for . . . ;)

>

> bacall-truman-piano.jpg

LOL! Good one, Nora!

But hey, who didn't have "a thing" for her, eh?! I mean, even Bugs Bunny did, as you can see here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxBZVulaxs8

;)

> {quote:title=Dargo wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=NoraCharles1934 wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=Dargo wrote:}{quote}Hey! And speakin' o' Truman here, HERE'S a little trivia question I'm sure one of my fellow nerds around here will get right off the bat:

> > >

> > > What do Harry S. Truman and David O. Selznick have in common?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > *(...and no, it wasn't "a thing" they might've both had for Jennifer Jones!)* ;)

> > >

> > I always thought Lauren Bacall was supposed to be the actress Mr. Truman had "a thing" for . . . ;)

> >

> > bacall-truman-piano.jpg

> >

> LOL! Good one, Nora!

>

> But hey, who didn't have "a thing" for her, eh?! I mean, even Bugs Bunny did, as you can see here....

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxBZVulaxs8

>

> ;)

Thanks, Dargo. Now I'm just wondering - does it make me a history nerd or a movie nerd that I immediately thought of that photo? :)

> {quote:title=NoraCharles1934 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Dargo wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=NoraCharles1934 wrote:}{quote}

> > > > {quote:title=Dargo wrote:}{quote}Hey! And speakin' o' Truman here, HERE'S a little trivia question I'm sure one of my fellow nerds around here will get right off the bat:

> > > >

> > > > What do Harry S. Truman and David O. Selznick have in common?

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > *(...and no, it wasn't "a thing" they might've both had for Jennifer Jones!)* ;)

> > > >

> > > I always thought Lauren Bacall was supposed to be the actress Mr. Truman had "a thing" for . . . ;)

> > >

> > > bacall-truman-piano.jpg

> > >

> > LOL! Good one, Nora!

> >

> > But hey, who didn't have "a thing" for her, eh?! I mean, even Bugs Bunny did, as you can see here....

> >

> >

> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxBZVulaxs8

> >

> >

> > ;)

> >

> Thanks, Dargo. Now I'm just wondering - does it make me a history nerd or a movie nerd that I immediately thought of that photo? :)

Don't know but Harry S. sure looks like a nerd. Plus he's ugly! (that's two strikes against him which means he'd never be president today)

Are You Kidding Me.....? So thats the Problem. People today Vote for Good Looking Liars. NO wonder this country is in the this Downward Spiral.

Plus to me Harry Truman just looks like a Man, No Cary Grant but he just an average Man and I have no Problem with that.