Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rebel against the non-classics!!!

OK, so I guess many of you have noticed that on the shopping part of the TCM website you can buy films from 2010, 2000, 1990s etc..Obviously, these are not classic films- (I believe the definition is atleast 20 years old). Why does TCM have these movies? Trying to attract more buyers no doubt! We as old movie buffs! Unlike those who snear at pomaded hair and papier-mache monsters, we respect and admire those films made in that golden age of silent films, vintages, black and white talkies, and glorious Technicolor! My friends let us rebuke TCM!

Down with newbies!

Frankly my dear(MissScarlett), I believe my response in Debr59's thread titled "movie choice"(a thread which appears to mimic your thread's general sentiments), will pretty much explain my position in this matter....

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=161570&tstart=0

(...and sorry, as you will see if you clink on this link, my sentiments do not happen too coincide with either yours or Debr59's)

Just wanted to clarify my opinion...Not against any specific types of movies, nor have I seen any films that are (not classic films) on TCM. I am just stating that there are modern films on sale on the TCM website--(c'mon people Turner [Classic|http://forums.tcm.com/] Movies anybody?)

As for 'modern' classics, first of all, I don't believe all the films for sale on the site are considered 'modern' classics, and might I add, I do enjoy modern films, but somehow I wouldn't find it appropriate if 'Avatar' were featured on the TCM line-up. Maybe 20 years from now, when that is considered a classic, a movie that has stood the test of time, and that has a certain appeal which can not be found or recreated in current films.

Edited by: MissScarlett123 on Sep 7, 2011 6:06 PM

While I tend to only watch studio era movies (e.g. 30 - 67 or so), if selling products that in my opinion are NOT 'classic' helps TCM continue to play the movies I enjoy so much, than I support that. In other words what TCM is doing IS in my best interest as a direhard classic movie fan.

For example, here in So Cal we have a NOT for profit Jazz station. Now they play blues on the weekend, have added latin jazz, and made other changes to broaden their appeal. While I might not like some of these changes, these changes were done to increase donations (the only funding the station gets), and thus helps them survive.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Sep 7, 2011 8:22 PM

> {quote:title=MissScarlett123 wrote:}{quote}(I believe the definition is atleast 20 years old).

Nah, if it's great, it's a classic.

Yi Yi (2000) is a masterpiece and better than 99% of the old classics - completely worthy of being termed a "classic."

And anyway, TCM's webstore is a proxy of a wider distributor, so it doesn't mean anything that they sell recent films.

That TCM Shop should also carry new movies isn't much of a stretch.

There's an industrial tool supply shop (drill bits by the dozen, ceramic inserts, etc.) which has a very nice display of rolling papers, pipes, and other "smoking aids."

Many years ago, in Omaha, there was an excellent archery and tobacco shop -- it was the best place to go if you wanted either a compound bow or English cigarettes.

Any good business is going to cater to the widest customer base it can.

New movies can also enhance it's core audience -- someone who's interested enough in movies that they're buying DVDs might go to the site solely seeking a recent film but will often browse a bit, exposing them to the wide variety of classics available.