Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fancagney

SAME MOVIES OVER AND OVER

I am new to this forum but I know what I am talking about when it comes to the movies shown on TCM. I have been a loyal fan for for many years and cannot understand why they keep showing the same hundred or so movies over and over again when they have a database of thousands. Again they are showing To Sir With Love, Trapeze, A Patch Of Blue, The Blob, On The Town, etc, etc. I don't accept an answer like "Oh, in case you didn't catch it the first time" baloney either. Why play all these movies repeatedly and we still haven't seen a great movie like Golden Earrings starring Marlene dietrich and Ray Milland in years? Something is not right - please somebody explain this. Do we need to wake up the people in charge of programming or what?

> Ray Milland in years?

Ray Milland was Star of the Month this past April so that hardly rates as being years off the schedule.

As for the recent schedule, we've been awash in pre-codes (and still are), serials (and still are), Jean Harlow, Jean Simmons, Esther Williams and singing cowboys. We have just had a great SUTS that highlighted Jean Gabin, Joan Blondell, Marlene Dietrich, Lon Chaney and others.

And now a terrific fall awaits including films previously tied up in rights hell but finally released, thanks in part, to TCM's legal department. Coming to the channel are long sought films - *The Story of Temple Drake* and *The Constant Nymph*.

Kirk Douglas is SOTM this month, Buster Keaton is SOTM in October along with a salute to horror films, Blonde Bombshells in November and William Powell in December.

> Do we need to wake up the people in charge of programming or what?

They seem to be very awake and on the job.

Just my opinion.

>I think they must show 1000 different movies in a year, it may be more like 1500.

It's typically between 3500-3800 movies a year. TCM devours content. There really aren't enough films available for them to not repeat popular titles.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> > Ray Milland in years?

> Ray Milland was Star of the Month this past April so that hardly rates as being years off the schedule.

>

He wasn't saying Ray Milland hasn't been shown in years. He said that GOLDEN EARRINGS starring Marlene Dietrich and Ray Milland hasn't been shown in years.

I agree completely with everything you said, but just wanted to clarify that one point.

> {quote:title=fancagney wrote:}{quote}I am new to this forum but I know what I am talking about when it comes to the movies shown on TCM. I have been a loyal fan for for many years and cannot understand why they keep showing the same hundred or so movies over and over again when they have a database of thousands. Again they are showing To Sir With Love, Trapeze, A Patch Of Blue, The Blob, On The Town, etc, etc. I don't accept an answer like "Oh, in case you didn't catch it the first time" baloney either. Why play all these movies repeatedly and we still haven't seen a great movie like Golden Earrings starring Marlene dietrich and Ray Milland in years? Something is not right - please somebody explain this. Do we need to wake up the people in charge of programming or what?

By your name you appear to be a James Cagney fan (or are you, like me, also a big fan of sister Jeanne?)

Anyway, a James Cagney fan should be appreciating the film being shown on TCM right now, SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL - not often shown.

And how about a few weeks ago, TCM showed A LION IS IN THE STREETS - there's a pretty rarely seen Cagney movie.

So, there are always rarities and premieres to look forward to on TCM.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}I agree that TCM has had a pretty diverse lineup of films. My major complaint is the lineup is much too light on film noirs.

Finance, this is my ONLY complaint....although I know someone in their programming department is big on noirs because pretty often they will have a whole day of them, only usually I have seen most before. I would love to see some of the ones I am sure they have access to that are probably considered B pictures and even some public domain titles (like TOO LATE FOR TEARS).

According to noiroftheweek.com there are quite a few film noirs I never seen before that aren't available on DVD!!!

OK - All of you make a valid point. I guess I was a little rough on the programmers but there are some movies that they tend to show too often. I was using Golden Earrings as a good example of not showing a particular movie for years and yet showing other movies at least 10 times each. I thought that they would have a structured database of movies with a timeline so that this sort of scenerio wouldn't happen. I guess they aren't that sofisticated yet - but that's OK.

Others have already answered this regarding license periods. My only other input is, "Compared to what? HBO? Starz? IFC? Showtime?"

If a movie on TCM is shown twice within a month, that is a very rare exception. Yet most cable channels -- whether movie channels or original programming -- repeat their shows over and over and over, often within the same week.

Yeah, we chuckle here about "North by Northwest" being aired what seems like 4 times a year, but even that's completely understandable for any number of reasons.

YES, SOME FILMS ARE SHOWN OVER AND OVER - SHOW SOME DIFFERENT SILENT FILMS, GARBO, GILBERT, BARRYMORE - GIVE US SOME MORE VARIETY, MUSICALS, ASTAIRE AND ROGERS, JOHN WAYNE, MORE OF ROBERT TAYLOR - AND OF COURSE GARBO TALKIES TOO...B UT SHOW SOME OF HER OTHER FILMS, LIKE "ROMANCE", "SUSAN LENOX" WITH GABLE BY THE WAY, INSPIRATION, AND MYSTERIOUS LADY (SILENT), THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT FILMS, (I THINK THAT I HAVE SEEN CASABLANCA ENOUGH ALREADY) AND I LOVE CRAWFORD, BUT SHOW SOME OF HER OTHER FILMS BESIDES MILDRED PIERCE. DO YOU HAVE A PRINT OF 12 MILES OUT (A CRAWFORD SILENT WITH JOHN GILBERT) IF TCM DOES, YOU MIGHT GIVE US A TREAT ON SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS...YOU CAN IGNORE MY REPLY HERE, BUT I THOUGHT IT MIGHT ADD A LITTLE SPICE TO A BLAND SCHEDULE!