Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name 10 Facts about this Movie

1) The Bank Dick was added to the National Film Registry in 1992.

Here's an alphabetical list of the films used so far, including the current one.

All About Eve, Anatomy Of A Murder, The Apartment (twice), The Band Wagon, The Bank Dick, The Best Years Of Our Lives, Birdman Of Alcatraz, Bonnie & Clyde, Bringing Up Baby, Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, Casablanca, Chinatown, Cleopatra (1963), Double Indemnity, From Here To Eternity, Giant, Gigi, Grand Hotel, The Grapes Of Wrath, The Heiress, It Happened One Night, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, King's Row, Lawrence Of Arabia, Love Is On The Air, Marty (twice), Miracle on 34th Street, My Fair Lady, My Sister Eileen, North By Northwest, On The Waterfront, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Psycho, Rear Window, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, Singin' In The Rain, Snow White & The 7 Dwarfs, Some Like It Hot, Sweet Smell Of Success, To Kill A Mockingbird, Top Hat, Vertigo, West Side Story (twice), The Wizard Of Oz

• 3 weeks later...

> {quote:title=GIPPER wrote:}{quote}4.)

> At one point, Joe the bartender (Shemp Howard) whistles "Listen To The Mockingbird", which later was used at one time as the recurring theme song for The Three Stooges.

4a.)

To be accurate, actually "Listen to the Mockingbird" was used as the Three Stooges' shorts theme tune BEFORE "The Bank Dick", not later. It was used from 1935 to 1938, and "The Bank Dick" came out in 1940. After that, and until the final Stooges short in 1959 "Three Blind Mice" was used.

Further trivia:

Columbia Pictures never gave composer Septimus Winner credit as writer of the song "Listen to the Mockingbird", in fact, didn't even use the song's original proper title. Instead they entitled it "Stooge Emblem" and gave composer credit to arranger Louis Silvers.

I figure it was because the song must have been Public Domain by then, so they didn't feel they had to give proper credit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Concerning the pronunciation of "souse," that always bothered me. It's not an accent grave over the "e", it's an accent aigu, if you're going to pronounce it "sousay." W.C. should have known better because he was such a word-lover. (However, I can't fault him on his pronunciation of Homosossa.)

For authority, I offer Sister Julie in senior French, circa 1945.