Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MontyC

Name 10 Facts about this Movie

9) Joy Page, who played the poignant young Bulgarian bride, was actually not a professional actress but the teenage step-daughter of WB Studio Owner and Head, Jack L. Warner.

1.) Shirley Temple was MGM's first choice to portray Dorothy Gale but 20th Century Fox wouldn't loan her out.

3.) Buddy Ebsen at one point was cast as The Tin Man but suffered an allergic reaction to the silver make-up (part ultimately went to Jack Haley).

4) George Cukor was very briefly the director, his major contribution being that he "unHollywoodized" Dorothy's hair and makeup so she would look less glamorous and more like a Kansas farm girl. In other words, George Cukor is responsible for her famous "look".

Down in southwestern Kansas lies a town named "Liberal", right in the heart of the prairie, about two hours north of I-40 and just north of the Oklahoma panhandle. If you happen to pass by on highway 54, stop by and visit the Wizard of Oz museum:--

Land of Oz – Liberal, Kansas

Just when you thought that the dream of the Land of Oz was out of your reach there appears before you the Land of Oz in Liberal! This facility consists of 5,000 square feet of animated entertainment. There are good and bad witches, the Munchkins, talking trees, winged monkeys, and of course, Dorothy, the Scarecrow and Tin Man as well as the loveable Cowardly Lion. Oh, of course, Toto and the bad witch are there too.

Stroll along the Yellow Brick Road with Dorothy, Auntie Em or Uncle Henry as your tour guide. Ask all the questions you want and learn even more about the wonderful world of Oz.

When you get to the end of the Road you will find Oz memorabilia on display, including the original model of Dorothy’s house used in the 1939 filming of the movie "The Wizard of Oz." The Munchkin room is a delight in little dresses and shoes, with many pictorial accounts of the Munchkins and their careers.

Dorothy’s House was originally built in 1907. It has been carefully restored and furnished to replicate the house shown in the movie. It shows how Dorothy really came to believe "There’s no place like home."

When you think of Liberal you really must think of the wonderful memories of the movie and the music that have lived on for years. The community welcomes everyone that wants to touch that bit of magic created by Dorothy and her friends.

Edited by: mudskipper on Nov 5, 2011 11:17 PM

Edited by: mudskipper on Nov 5, 2011 11:27 PM

Sounds interesting, Mudskipper. I live in Amarillo so I'll have to take a trip there sometime since I'm not that far away.

6. One of the munchkins was in a Seinfeld episode, playing the father of Kramer's fiance.

You shouldn't have any problem getting there. It's about one hour north to Stratford, then another hour northeast to Liberal. I passed by there in 2001 on the way to Santa Fe, NM from Michigan. Since I prefer the two-lane highways, otherwise called Blue Highways by William Least-Heat Moon because they're colored blue on the atlases, I took highway 54. That's when I first found and visited the "Wizard of Oz" exhibit.

Apparently, they also have "Wizard of Oz" exhibits in the Children's museums of various cities, including Manhattan, Miami, Boston, and St. Paul, Minnesota.

By the way, how many pounds of steak do you have to eat for it to be free?

I'd like to visit Palo Duro State Park, but I'm afraid of rattlers..

Five pounds, Mudskipper. Funny you should mention "The Big Texan." It's a restaurant that's right on I-40 that's a tourist attraction that most Amarillo natives avoid. It's very expensive (by Amarillo standards) & the food & service aren't that great. Funny you mentioning it because my wife & I ate there just last week. We've lived in Amarillo 15 years & it's only about the third time we've gone there. Once every five years is plenty.

Palo Duro Canyon is amazing. It's the second biggest canyon in the continental U.S. Don't think I'd make a special trip from Michigan but if you're down this way, definitely worth seeing.

7.) Uncle Henry (Charley Grapewin) was the only character to appear in Kansas without appearing in OZ.

10.) OZ aired for the first time on TV on November 3, 1956 on CBS.

Next: *ALL ABOUT EVE*

2.) Ronald Reagan was considered for "Bill Sampson" (part went to Gary Merrill) while future wife Nancy Davis was considered for "Karen Richards" (part went to Celeste Holm).

6) Bette Davis' famous dress from the party scene was not supposed to be off the shoulder. Designer Edith Head made it to be a square neck, but accidentally made the shoulder part of the sleeves too big. When Bette Davis put on the dress the sleeves fell off her shoulders, but Bette liked it that way, so the mistake stuck.

8) [Anne Baxter|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Baxter|Anne Baxter] got the role of Eve Harrington after the first choice, [Jeanne Crain|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Crain|Jeanne Crain], became pregnant. Crain was at the height of her popularity and had established a career playing likable heroines; Zanuck believed she lacked the "***** virtuosity" required by the part, and audiences would not accept her as a deceitful character.

10) As of 2010, All About Eve is still the only film in [Oscar|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award|Academy Award] history to receive four female acting nominations (Davis and Baxter as [best Actress|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Actress|Academy Award for Best Actress], Holm and Ritter as [best Supporting Actress|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Supporting_Actress|Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress]).

Next: "From Here To Eternity".