Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name 10 Facts about this Movie

MontyC

5. The film opens in Silver Bow, Montana, at a presidential election night ball in 1904 and ends in Silver Bow at a presidential election night ball in 1908.  Great movie, one of Bette's best, and Errol never looked better. And it features Warner's version of the San Francisco earthquake.

• Like 1

7.  Bette Davis objected to the original billing that called for Flynn's name above the title and hers below: "...at that time I had no billing clause in my contract. I felt after Jezebel that my name should always appear above the title. That is star billing. "

3.  Because of the subplot of Jones as a prostitute trying to frame Gantry, United Artists included a  prologue saying "the conduct of some revivalists makes a mockery of the traditional beliefs and practices of organized Christianity!" and adding that "due to the highly controversial nature of this film, we strongly urge you to prevent impressionable children from seeing it!"

9.  Brooks originally wanted to cast Pat Hingle as Elmer Gantry.  However, Hingle was severely injured in a fall in 1959.  Hingle was stuck in a stalled elevator in his apartment building. He lost his balance while trying to crawl out and fell 54 feet down the shaft. He sustained massive injuries, including a fractured skull, wrist, hip and leg, and several broken ribs. He also lost his little finger on his left hand.  He spent the next year learning to walk again.

• Thanks 1