Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
classicmoviefan09

December 1 - 7 TCM Schedule now available

This December looks awesome! Edwin Drood, Chapman Report, The Trespasser, Moon & Sixpence, Marx Bros on New Years Eve, Walk on the Wild Side, and William Powell as SOTM. OMG really pumped for this. I just hope these don't get bumped or cancelled for some reason.

Someone must really like Ruth Roman. She gets a day on November 22, then again on December 22. Maybe she will be a SOTM in 2012 and this is a preview of that.

I am so happy that TCM is finally getting the rights to the Gary Cooper and Ann Sheridan classic Good Sam. Thank you TCM. Its on at 8:00 p.m. on December 20.

_On December 8th:_

4:30 a.m. is THE YOUNGEST PROFESSION (I think the actual broadcast is on the 9th, but it is part of the schedule for the day before.)

_On December 15th:_

11:30 p.m. is MR. ROBERTS

3:30 a.m. is ONE WAY PASSAGE (The actual broadcast is on the 16th, but it is part of the previous day's schedule.)

_On December 16th:_

10 p.m. is CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT

_On December 19th:_

2 p.m. is MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE

6 p.m. is SUSPICION

_On December 20th:_

3:45 a.m. is IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME (Actual broadcast is on the 21st.)

12/12: LITTLE GIANT? Abbott & Costello? Oooooh, I hope so! I've been wanting to see that one again for a long time. That's the one where A&C does that crazy arithmatic routine and Lou sells vacuum cleaners.

12/13: THE LEMON DROP KID. Wow! Thanks TCM.

12/20: GOOD SAM: Gary Cooper and Ann Sheridan. Another one I've been wanting to see again.

TCM, you are filling my Christmas stocking this year.

> {quote:title=bOb39 wrote:}{quote}12/12: LITTLE GIANT? Abbott & Costello? Oooooh, I hope so! I've been wanting to see that one again for a long time. That's the one where A&C does that crazy arithmatic routine and Lou sells vacuum cleaners.

>

Coming in the middle of a day of Edward G. Robinson movies, I think we can be sure that the LITTLE GIANT scheduled on TCM on Dec. 12 will be the 1933 Warner Bros. comedy starring Edward G. and not the 1946 Abbott & Costello movie.

But tune in anyway - the 1933 LITTLE GIANT is a fun spoof on Eddie G's gangster films and it's always nice seeing Eddie G. playing comedy and sending up his tough guy image.

And it doesn't turn up on TCM as often as I wish it would.

Oh. Ok. Well Edward G. Robinson is never a dissapointment. Sounds good.

I love THE LITTLE GIANT (1933). It's been quite a while since it was last seen on TCM. :D

It's got some great pre-code dialogue! :)

December looks to be quite a neat month on TCM!

Once the schedule is complete, prepare for the Annual Yuletide Bellyaching, when fans complain about their favorite Xmas titles not being scheduled. It's as regular as fruitcake.

Actually, I think the Yuletide is pretty well covered this year -- including the two most popular versions of A Christmas Carol -- Owen (Hollywood) and Sim (UK). So perhaps there'll be no bellyaching this year.

;)

THE LITTLE GIANT (1933) rocks!!! One of my favorite Eddie G flix, and pre-code flix! It's out of this world, always fun! Glad to see it on the schedule for December!

I wanted to shout out thanks for all the hard work in investigating the remainder of the Dec schedule! Much appreciated!!

Wow, is that Fox's MARGIE from 1946?

Now that is a rare title that was never released to DVD. It popped up on the HBO/Cinemax channels (their extra channels) twice, but that was it. People have been screaming to Fox for a DVD release or to at the very least air it on FMC. I never seen it but I love Jeanne Crain. I'm sure people will be pleased with the programming that night. I know I am!!

Thank you, TCM!! They've programmed some of the Christmas-themed movies that several of us suggested in a thread right after the 2010 holiday season,"'Unknown Christmas Movies - TCM theme for next December?"

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=157644&start=15&tstart=0

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it looks like the TCM programmers were listening to us!

To quote my brother FrankFan from last January:

Throughout the year, I run across movies on TCM that have a fair amount of Christmas content. They're not the Christmas classics that most people know, and the movie's story may not be dependent on the holiday season, but they're set at Christmas time. I'd call them "unknown Christmas movies."

For those of us who like to watch Christmas movies during December and may want to get beyond the well-known classics, I thought it might be useful to start a thread where, throughout the year, we can post the names of "unknown" Christmas movies. This might help like-minded folks to be on the look-out for them, and record them for holiday season viewing if they're not available on DVD.

"Unknown Christmas Movies" might also be a good theme for TCM's December schedule. How about it, TCM? ...

I don't know if it'll amount to a formal "theme" in this year's December schedule, but the TCM programmers are indeed showing several movies that we suggested in our thread last winter, including *Alias Boston ****, Cover-Up*, *Good Sam*, *Backfire*, *Lady In The Lake*, *Never Say Goodbye*, *Larceny Inc*., and *The Lemon Drop Kid*. Except for *The Lemon Drop Kid*, I'd call all of these "Unknown Christmas Movies" in that they aren't the familiar holiday classics but do have significant Christmas content. And even *The Lemon Drop Kid*, one of the better known Christmas movies, hasn't been shown on TCM before as far as I know (or it's been a long, long time), so the programmers are going beyond the previous boundaries there, too.

TCM is really doing a good job this December of spicing up the schedule of familiar holiday classics (all of which I love) with some of the "unknown" Christmas movies that we suggested, which are a lot of fun to watch, too. Thanks for listening, TCM! (I love the rest of the schedule, too!)

Edited by: BingFan on Sep 27, 2011 1:07 PM

I love The Lemon Drop Kid. I actually don't think it's very well known. It introduced the song "Silver Bells" in a particularly beautiful holiday scene, snow falling in NYC.

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}I love The Lemon Drop Kid. I actually don't think it's very well known.

Speaking of not very well known:

How many have seen the 1934 version?

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}I love The Lemon Drop Kid. I actually don't think it's very well known.

> Speaking of not very well known:

> How many have seen the 1934 version?

I'd love to see the 1934 version and hope it shows up on TCM some time. Although I really enjoy Hope's later version of *The Lemon Drop Kid*, it'd be great to see Lee Tracy in the leading role, too. And if I remember correctly, good old William Frawley is in both versions. I assume the story of the original is roughly the same as the later version, and if so, we'd have another Christmas movie to see.

I wonder if the 1934 version was originally tied up legally because of the later version, which sometimes happens when the producer of a re-make is able to obtain restrictions on exhibition of the original. Because the Hope version of *The Lemon Drop Kid* appears to be out of copyright protection now (based on the off-label DVDs that are out there), I wonder if any legal restrictions on the original version are now gone. Anyone know?

That's interesting about William Frawley, makes him one of the (I think short) list of actors who appear in different versions of the same movie. And (I just looked it up) as the same character. Like Francis L. Sullivan in Great Expectations.

The Hope version introduced the song "Silver Bells," making it so perfect for Christmas. But I'd love to see both versions. Never heard of the earlier one until this thread.

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}

> The Hope version introduced the song "Silver Bells," making it so perfect for Christmas. But I'd love to see both versions. Never heard of the earlier one until this thread.

I really wish the soundtrack recording of "Silver Bells" would be released on a Christmas CD. Not only is it historically significant because the movie introduced the song, but the movie version also has a beautiful verse sung by Marilyn Maxwell that usually isn't included in other versions of the song (although Johnny Mathis did do a very nice recording of the full version on his first Christmas album). The verse builds to the familiar chorus, giving the whole song greater effect.

As long as I'm on the subject of Christmas wishes, I also wish that TCM would put together a CD collection of Christmas songs from movies, similar to the many compilation CDs with movie themes that they put out earlier (mainly in the 90s). I know that CDs are not selling as well now as they were during the heyday of TCM's earlier CDs, but I'd guess that a Christmas CD would be a perennial seller because there's a definite occasion for buying it each year -- that's why so many artists make Christmas albums.

Just off the top of my head, a TCM Christmas CD could include tracks like: the Judy Garland movie versions of "Silent Night" (from a short), "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (from *Meet Me in St. Louis*, along with the instrumental Christmas tunes used for under-scoring), and "Merry Christmas" (from *In the Good Old Summertime*); Mario Lanza's "Ave Maria" (also shown as a short on TCM); Doris Day's Christmas song from *On Moonlight Bay*; maybe some licensed tracks like "Silver Bells" from *Lemon Drop Kid* and "Snow" from *White Christmas*; and even some title themes like the Christmas tunes that were woven together under the opening credits of *Lady in the Lake*. Shoot, any music that's associated with a well-known Christmas movie (especially if it included sleigh bells) would probably work, even if not strictly speaking a Christmas song -- like the opening music for *It's a Wonderful Life* (which would also have to be licensed) or *Christmas In Connecticut*. From the latter movie, they could also include the short but sweet clip of Dennis Morgan singing "O Little Town of Bethlehem" as well as "The Wish I Wish Tonight," which isn't really a Christmas song but has the right mood. There are also probably a lot of movies that have under-scoring made up of Christmas melodies, as well as scenes where the characters sing a Christmas song. I'm certain that there are enough potential tracks to easily fill up a very nice TCM "Christmas at the Movies" CD. (Heck, if I knew how to rip songs from DVDs, I'd make up my own.)