Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thanks, pgrm80s. It's the 'highlighting' of columns that I need to do in order to alphabetize the movies that I find cumbersome.

I would have thought there was a way to plug in a formula to highlight X number of cells, but there isn't, it seems.

Oh well, there are worse things in life, eh??!!:)

stoneyburke

Hey Stoney.......I use FileMaker Pro......it is a pretty easy program to use if you are sticking with the basics.....but it can get as complicated as one can dream up.

I can sort by any field I want....ex: title, year, director, genre, length, production studio etc......it makes finding a movie simple! And as I approach 4000 titles, simple is a good thing!

tom

I guess my method of the old card index and 3x5 cards is a bit old fashioned. I only catalog them so I can find them to watch. The only info I need is the title, whether it's a DVD or tape , and which #'d tape it's on.

I currently have about 700 movies over the past 20 years so logging them down has been easy.

I use the same method as you bggalaxy for cataloging. I store my tapes in those plastic three tier towers that they sell at K-Mart. The only problem is that when I want to buy the DVD of a movie that I have on tape it messes up my whole system because I keep two movies on each tape. I just bought Citizen Kane on DVD now I have to wait for a movie that starts with the letter "C" to replace my Citizen Kane tape.

I number my tapes so it can have any movie on it and I'll be able to find it. for example:

tape #86 will have Casablanca, The Desk Set, and The Ref on it. In my card catalog under "C" will be Casablanca #86 VCR and so forth for "D" & "R". That way,as it happened, I bought the The REF DVD recently so I recorded over it with Working Girl in letterbox. So now under "W" I have Working Girl - #86 - (LB) - VCR. Under "R" The Ref - DVD with the #86 -well 86ed.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've also found out that the Microsoft Works Spreadsheet I am using is just the plain garden variety, hence my inability to tailor it.

If I want more bells and whistles, as has been noted here I would need to buy better software.