Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest sysop

Desert Island Films

Guest K, Sandy

Nice Girl? I've never seen that one. As a matter of fact, I think I've only seen ONE Deanna Durbin movie--THREE SMART GIRLS which I taped off AMC years ago! Her films just aren't shown that much. I loved THREE SMART GIRLS--very snappy and 30's-ish! Too bad Mayer couldn't have just signed both Deanna and Judy! In regards to Moulin Rouge 2001-I just got the dvd also! So far I've just been wading through all the great special features. Definitely a film that warrants multiple viewings just to absorb it all. I'll agree with you that Ewan MacGregor is mighty easy on the eyes!

Guest son, jery

Sandy,so happy to find someone else who adores "Moulin Rouge" and the gorgeous Ewan McGRegor. Besides having mucho sex appeal, his singing just makes him even more babe-a-licious. I discovered Deanna Durbin on AMC, too, but it wasn't until I saw "Three Smart Girls" that I really became a fan."Nice Girl?" has become one of my Desert Island favorites. I'm such an addict of early 40s movies, especially those from Universal. The small town magic that comes across in "Nice Girl?" is stunning. And those great early 40s fashions from costume designer Vera West makes it even better. Definitely check this one out! Gotta go and watch "Moulin Rouge" again! Oh, Ewan! Ewan!

Guest olmsted, l

I read your's and Sandy's messages about the new Moulin Rouge. I thought it was brilliant. Unfortunately I think the general public had something else in mind when it came out. From a technical aspect, it is a wonderfully put together film. The sound effects, costumes, cinematography, etc. are so befitting of the wild and wacky time period in which the story takes place. So glad to see that musicals might be making a comeback?

Guest K, Sandy

I agree with you, lolmsted about the costumes, etc. befitting the time period in which Moulin Rouge was set. On the dvd, Baz Luhrman and the costume and set designers talk about creating what it would feel like to BE at the Moulin Rouge, instead of slavishly trying to re-create Paris 1900. I, too, wish that musicals would make a comeback! But it would have to be a re-working of the form, I think, as Luhrman has done. I think that Moulin Rouge was the most daring film of 2001.

Guest son, jery

Sandy, get ready for two big HOllywood musicals coming out next year, "Chicago" and "Rent." God knows what'll happen to them on the screen. Catherine Zeta-Jones is the main star of "Chicago." I'm worried about "Rent." Spike Lee--yes, Spike Lee-is directing! I've never been a fan of his movies. Why are they giving a movie like "Rent" to Spike Lee? It should be someone like Baz Luhrman or even Ken Russell (I adore his "Tommy").

Guest K, Sandy

I had no idea that Chicago and Rent were being made! How exciting! Catherine Zeta-Jones would be perfect for Chicago. I assume that she's playing Velma; I wonder who's playing Roxie? As for the Spike Lee/Rent project...hmmm...he does seem like an odd choice. For me the question is-why does Spike Lee want to direct it? Most of his films seem to be centered on some aspect of the black experience. My favorite Spike Lee film is Crooklyn. I could watch it over and over. It reminds me of my childhood, even though the only thing that I have in common with the main character is being a girl in the 1970's. An underrated film.

Guest Hughie

Here are 10 movies I know I would not regret taking with me: 1 Lust For Gold (1949) Glenn Ford; Ida Lupino: Gig Young. This movie haunts me, and the ending broke my heart. 2 The Sound Of Music (1965) Julie Andrews overpowers the rest of the cast. 3 The Hustler (1961) Paul Newman; Jackie Gleason; George C Scott; Piper Laurie; Myron McCormick. A brilliant cast in a powerful B&W film, with hardly a movement, gesture or word of dialogue wasted. 4 Romancing The Stone (1984) Michael Douglas; Kathleen Turner; Danny De Vito; Zack Norman. A 'snappy' movie, with never a dull moment. 5 The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957) Alec Guinness; William Holden; Sessue Hayakawa; Jack Hawkins. Possibly my fav movie. Did I mention the director? David Lean. 6 Flesh and Blood (1985) Rutger Hauer; Jennifer Jason Leigh. I could easily pick 10 just from Rutger's prolific body of work. 7 Casablanca (1942) Humphrey Bogart; Ingrid Bergman; Paul Henried; Sydney Greenstreet; Peter Lorre: Conrad Veidt; Claude Rains. One of the usual suspects, but how could I not list it? 8 Let It Ride (1989) Richard Dreyfuss; Terri Garr; Jennifer Tilly; Robbie Coltrane. Everytime I watch this movie, I end up having a very good day. You will too. 9 Chicken Run (2000) Claymation version of The Great Eggscape. If you haven't seen it, the yolk's on you. 10 The Terminator (1984) Arnold Schwarzeneggar; Linda Hamilton; Michael Biehn; Paul Winfield. I absolutely will not stop watching this movie. Ever!! I own hundreds upon hundreds of movies, from Killer Klowns From Outer Space and Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS, to Dumbo and Sleeping Beauty. Picking 10 is very difficult. So, lets all agree on one island. We'll have a swap meet on Saturday mornings.

Guest Barnes, Dan

Here are my top ten films in order: 1)The Searchers 2)Citizen Kane 3)Singin' in the Rain 4)Taxi Driver 5)Vertigo 6)The Godfather 7)The Apartment 8)Pulp Fiction 9)Chinatown 10)It's a Wonderful Life

Guest Higdon, Allan

Hi BroncoRick, I didn't read your message until today, but I've tried requesting The Devil and Daniel Webster twice already this year. I just can't understand why TCM owns the rights to this film, yet it's not in their library. It's absolutely too good not to be seen on TV anymore.

Guest Griffin, Mark

Desert Island Deluxe or Let's Get Campy! Here are my top ten indispensable favorites... 1.) "Myra Breckinridge" (1970) - Raquel Welch, Mae West 2.) "Madame X" (The Lana Turner Version) 3.) "Mommie Dearest" (1981) Miss Dunaway as Miss Crawford 4.) "Walk On The Wild Side" - Barbara Stanywck, Capucine 5.) "The Women" (1939) - Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford 6.) "Boom!" - Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Noel Coward 7.) "Yolanda and the Thief" - Fred Astaire, Lucille Bremer 8.) "The Bliss of Mrs. Blossom" - Shirley MacLaine 9.) "What's The Matter With Helen?" - Debbie Reynolds 10.)"The Great Lie" - Bette Davis, (Brute Force) Mary Astor Bonus/Alternate: "Darling" with the divine Julie Christie

Guest mongo

Mark that is certainly a motley mix of films of which I would love to see again. I especially like "What's the Matter with Helen" with Shelley Winters "Goody, Goody", "Walk on the Wild Side" with the fabulous Capucine, "The Great Lie" hilarious when Astor is giving birth while Davis paces outside the cabin and the music is tops, "Mommie Dearest" with Dunaway at her best, "Myra Breckinridge" although quirky its nice to see Mae West and "Madame X" a sudser with a fine performance by Lana. Some good choices.

Guest son, jery

mark, loved your campy list, but how could you possibly forget at least two other glorious camp favorites: "Ash Wednesday," starring la Liz at her most ravishing; and "Valley of the Dolls" where Patty Duke has her penultimate moment screeching her name, with a bottle of Thunderbird wine in hand: "I'm NEELIEEEE O'HARAAAAA!"

Guest Griffin, Mark

Dear Jery Son: You're absolutely right...Isn't there another latter day Liz masterpiece called "Psychotic" with Andy Warhol (!)? I've never seen it but it sounds right up my Tin Pan Alley. You seem to have an astounding, encyclopedic knowledge of film! How do you know all of this stuff? Have you read Leonard Maltin's Film Guides cover to cover? I'm truly impressed! PS - Did you see "Bewitched" on TCM this afternoon? Truly hysterical. All the Best... Mark Griffin (MarkGriffin@mpbc.org)

Guest Griffin, Mark

Dearest Mongo - (I love that name! It sounds like something Hedy Lamarr should have starred in back in 1938! Either that or a second cousin to "Mogambo"!) Thank you for your kind words regarding my highly idiosyncratic selections. I think TCM should have a Capucine Marathon (if they haven't already)...she was so hypnotically beautiful (second only to Julie Christie in her 1966 prime, I think). Another (somewhat overlooked) camp extravaganza is "Smashing Time" with Lynn Redgrave and Rita Tushingham. Worth the price of admission for Lynn's high voltage hair styles alone! All the Best... Mark Griffin (MarkGriffin@mpbc.org)

Guest K, Sandy

Mark, loved your campy list, although I don't know that I could sit through MYRA BRECKINRIDGE after slogging my way through the book years ago... I second jeryson-what about VALLEY OF THE DOLLS? You can't beat Susan Hayward as Helen Lawson wearing that wig! And I love YOLANDA AND THE THIEF! Coffee Time on that giant swirling floor!

Guest Conner, Rick

Hi! I havent checked in here for some time. I liked reading everything very much, although I must admit I have a low tolerance for what I call "gloss trash". I did stumble upon an entry last night on the Western channel that might qualify. A real oddity called "Singing Guns". Very well photographed in color with good supporting cast: Ward Bond and Walter Brennan, and the female lead is Ella Raines, who shone as Eddie Brackens girlfriend in "Hail The Conquering Hero". Probably the reason it smells so bad is the lead is 40's singer Vaughn Monroe, who sings cowboy ballads throughout. You could age cheese with this film.

Guest Stephen

My Desert Island Films: Rear Window (1954) Citizen Kane (1941) The Bank Dick (1940) My Man Godfrey (1936) 42nd Street (1933) North by Northwest (1959) The Women (1939) Bringing Up Baby (1938) City Lights (1931) Auntie Mame (1958) These are the ones I'd choose TODAY, anyway. I think I would also have to smuggle Shadow of a Doubt (1943), Double Indemnity (1944), Casablanca (1942), Arsenic and Old Lace (1944), Trouble in Paradise (1932), The Baker's Wife (1938), The Man on the Flying Trapeze (1935), All About Eve (1950), A Star is Born (1954), Strangers on a Train (1951),It's a Wonderful Life (1946), Harvey (1950), Winchester '73 (1950), Rio Bravo (1959) and Only Angels Have Wings (1939), among many others. I doubt I could even limit my choices to 100!

Guest Atwater, Mary Blaine

Movies I cherish include: Trouble in Paradise; The Thirty-Nine Steps; Smiles of a Summer Night; Brief Encounter; I Know Where I'm Going!; The Night of the Hunter; La Belle et La Bete (my blue smoke Persian is named for that elegant feline monster); Black Narcissus; The Unbearable Lightness of Being; Babette's Feast. . .

Guest patterson, nick

AS ALWAYS FILM FAVES ARE VERY ARBITRARY . BUT MY TOP TEN WOULD GO SOMETHING LIKE THIS : 1.}ON THE WATERFRONT 2.}CHINATOWN 3.}CASABLANCA 4.}A STAR IS BORN-1954 5.}THE APARTMENT 6.} WIZARD OF OZ 7.}BUTCH CASSIDY 8.} ON THE TOWN 9.} LAST TANGO IN PARIS 10.} DUCK SOUP

Guest Tarnmoor

Desert island films? Hmmm. OK, I'll go for any of the film versions of THE ADMIRABLE CRICHTON, SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON, ROBINSON CRUSOE, and of course the entire run of GILLIGAN'S ISLAND. Add to that a set of military documentaries about survival in the wilds. Jim Paris Los Angeles

Guest Zooty

10 faves: Random Harvest Notorious Laura Indiscreet (1958) The Pride & the Prejudice (1940) Out of the Past The Woman in the Window Queen Christina Holiday (1938) His Girl Friday

Guest Lyndsey

Oooh, I like your choices, Zooty. Especially QUEEN CHRISTINA (1933). This is obviously very hard to narrow down, but my top ten (in no particular order) would be... J'Accuse (1918?) The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919) Safety Last! (1923) The Joyless Street (Die Freudlose Gasse) (1925) It (1927) Love (1927) Footlight Parade (1933) The Thin Man (1934) After the Thin Man (1936) Swing Time (1937)

Guest Zooty

Thanks Lyndsey! I also like your picks. Nick and Nora Charles = NUMERO UNO!

Guest Lyndsey

You're welcome! I know--Nick and Nora are my favorite team in films. Oh, and let's not forget Asta, that lovable terrier!

Guest Littlechild, Ben

my desert island films would be(in no particular order) 1)The Devil and daniel Webster 2)Fury 3) To Kill a mockingbird 4)Inherit the Wind 5)12 Angry men 6)Bad day at Black rock 7)Judgement at Nuremberg 8) The Quiet Man 9)A Night at the Opera 10)Harvey That should hold me there for a few years!! If it could have been 12 i would have probably added 11) Arsenic and Old lace 12)Bringing up Baby