Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert Osborne's Return

*"...it seems like I remember it being listed on TCM's schedule in the last 2 years."* - helenbaby

Well, it has definitely been on TCM but not sure if it was within the past two years. It could be longer ago than that.

Here's the online article accompanying TCM's presentation ofthe film.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/87809%7C0/The-Dark-at-the-Top-of-the-Stairs.html

Kyle In Hollywood

Looks Like Robert is schedule to return on air Dec. 1! HOORAY!

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie-news.html?id=451626&name=Guest-Hosts-on-TCM-in-October|http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie-news.html?id=451626&name=Guest-Hosts-on-TCM-in-October

Turner Classic Movies has announced that Rolling Stone film critic Peter Travers and singer-songwriter Chris Isaak will each host the network's primetime lineup during the first two weeks of October, while TCM host Robert Osborne is on a break. Osborne will be back on the air beginning Dec. 1. TCM will announce guest hosts for the rest of October and November soon.

Yancey

This has been a *banner* day for me! First being told of Bob's exact day of return to work and then Charlie Tabesh also telling me that he thought that my idea for a Barrymore's Star of the Month tribute was a great idea and that he's pretty sure they're going to do it!!

Posted below is an excerpt from the email that he sent me today (my actual name is Chip, by the way):

*"Thank you, Chip, I really appreciate the suggestion and I think it's a great idea. It might be a while before we're able to do it but I'm pretty sure we will at some point, I love the programming."*

To see the original thread that I created advising my suggestion for the Barrymore's Star of the Month tribute, and how I would program it, see the thread entitled, A Barrymore's Star of the Month Suggested!.

BingFan:

Thanks for that info; and no, unfortunately, I don't have Fox Movie Channel. Hopefully, TCM will show Apartment for Peggy someday as I haven't seen it in years. As for The Dark at the Top of the Stairs, that is a Warner Bros. picture, so there might be a better chance of TCM showing it sometime in the future.

Helenbaby:

I've had TCM since 1998, but I've only been subscribing to the TCM Now Playing guide since 2006 (which I read cover to cover), and unless somehow I missed it, I can safely say that The Dark at the Top of the Stairs hasn't been on TCM since at least 2006. If you ever end up remembering what station you saw the film on, please let me know. Thanks!

Kyle:

Thanks for that info. At least I know now that The Dark at the Top of the Stairs has indeed been on TCM. But it was probably longer than Helen remembers. Thanks again for info!

I don't know if it was actually shown, but *The Dark At The Top Of The Stairs* (1960) was scheduled for 14 Jun 11 (the schedule I downloaded on 10 Mar 11).

> 2:15 PMDark At The Top Of The Stairs, The (1960)

> Changing times create sexual tensions among members of a small-town family in the '20s. Cast: Robert Preston, Dorothy McGuire, Angela Lansbury. Dir: Delbert Mann. C-124 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

11393.gif

To All:

My previous message that I had filed got butchered after I posted it; probably because I copy-pasted a large animated gif file as well as Charlie Tabesh's message directly from the email that I received from him today. It took me almost half an hour, but I finally got it fixed. The only thing that I wasn't able to do was include the 'Happy Day' animated gif that I had originally pasted at the top of my message. But to keep in the glorious spirit of the good news of my previous post, I am including it here!

Capuchin:

That listing that you mentioned in your post isn't listed in my June Now Playing guide magazine at all. In fact, on June 14, 2011, TCM aired A Summer Place at 1:00pm and then Susan Slade at 3:15pm. It is very odd that there should be such a discrepancy.

> {quote:title=ClassicFilmMan wrote:}{quote}

> That listing that you mentioned in your post isn't listed in my June Now Playing guide magazine at all. In fact, on June 14, 2011, TCM aired A Summer Place at 1:00pm and then Susan Slade at 3:15pm. It is very odd that there should be such a discrepancy.

That happens quite often with schedules more than two months out -- they're not officially posted and many times they seem to be works in progress. It's like they work out what they want and think they can get, but then they have to substitute and shuffle things around if they can't get the rights, or there isn't a digital copy, or any number of not-immediately-obvious problems.

Without divulging the details of how it came about, I spoke to Robert Osborne earlier today and he is doing quite well, sounding great and thoroughly enjoying his vacation. I just wanted to mention that one of the things that I asked him is if he will continue doing the full wrap-arounds (intros and outros) for the films when he returns to TCM later this fall, and he assured me that he absolutely will! The 'intros only' format that TCM is currently practicing with the guest hosts is only temporary until he returns. So no worries; we will get Robert back *100%* when he returns! Oh, and Robert told me that he really liked my Barrymore's Star of the Month suggestion and that he hoped TCM chief Charlie Tabesh will do it!

yes.gif

How I have missed The Great Roberto. Can't wait to see him back.

Hey, maybe he really took a break so we'd all appreciate him more. In fact, maybe it wasn't Leonard Maltin or Wynona Ryder that we saw-- maybe it was RO in disguise as inferior hosts so that we'd be so happy when he came back that we'd never complain again like the children's book Miss Nelson is Missing, eh?

Oh, this is one for 20th Century Vole...

Prior to his leaving for "vacation", I noticed that on air, Bob appeared to be moving slower and that he had trouble speaking - not pronounced, more like slurring some words.

It was almost like he had had a mild stroke. Then, all of a sudden, he is taking a "much needed vacation" as we were repeatedly told by each and every guest host, each and every time. In fact, some of the hosts were so unbelieveable that it was truly a vacation, that I began to think my suspicions were correct.

Now, I am reading here that Bob had an operation and has been recovering now for the better part of three months.

I hope he is recovering well and will re-appear on the air soon.

And, please, TCM, please STOP having the guest hosts keep referring to his absense as a much needed vacation.....most of them aren't convincing and with so many references, it becomes suspicious.

See you soon Bob!

*"Now, I am reading here that Bob had an operation and has been recovering now for the better part of three months."* - Sprocket509

Just so you know, the surgery was mentioned in the first announcement TCM put out in July.

http://forums.tcm.com/ann.jspa?annID=51

"Beginning today, Robert Osborne plans to take a short break from his TCM hosting duties for minor surgery, followed by a vacation."

How much of his absence is "recovery" and how much is "vacation" is just speculation. Either way, he will be back hosting beginning with the December line-up.

Kyle In Hollywood

ClassicFilmMan,

Your updates on our beloved Robert are most appreciated. It is a relief to know that he is doing so well and that he will be back to his full duties very soon.

Congratulations on your suggestion of a Barrymore SOTM. I will look forward to that.

There is no hard line between what is recovery and what is vacation. Patients who are very active often need more time after even a minor surgery because they have been sidetracked and need to prepare mentally to re-enter the race. It is often the idlers who bounce back most quickly to their previous level of activity.

My thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Osborne and I am looking forward to seeing more of his excellent work.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Who now is doing the substitute hosting ?(I havent watched since last week, except for a bit of wknd viewing with Mank) I thought we were done with those hosts?

Hibi, Peter Travers of Rolling Stone. Doesn't look to be the man to replace R.O. years down the road, either....

You're very welcome MovieGal. It was a great pleasure to speak with Robert Osborne the other day and just to let you know, he will actually begin working again in two weeks when he will begin filming the wrap-arounds for the 2012 season of The Essentials. The filming will be done here in New York and after three years with Alec Baldwin, Robert will have a new co-host which I would love to be able to share here, but since it has not been officially announced yet, Robert asked me not to divulge who it is yet.

And thanks for the congrats on the Barrymore's Star of the Month suggestion; it looks like it's really going to come to fruition!

While I am not at liberty to divulge the person's name, I'm sure Robert wouldn't mind me divulging just the gender of his new co-host for the upcoming 2012 season of The Essentials (which he begins filming here in New York later this month).

It is a *woman* -- and a very exciting one at that! happy0144.gif

What is with this guy? He quietly creeps into your world and before you know it,

you're hooked, a hopeless junky with no plans to quit. Never seen the like of this. Robert, your addicts await you, hosannas at the ready.

Edited by: CartonNoir on Oct 6, 2011 9:45 AM

Can't wait until Robert Osborne comes back. The hosts they have had are sooo bad - Winona Ryder, that Melveyn LeRoy daughter (I think), the editor from Rolling Stones, Leonard Maltin. Couldn't they get some big names. Alec Bladwin was the best for the essentials. He knows something about old movies, has great repoir with R. Osborne, treats him with respect, speaks intelligently and with emotion in a convincing manner. Every other essentials host dims in comparison if you ask me. He also brought star quality to TCM with a hip actor who isn't retired or a has been like Winona Ryder and who ever that Melvyng Douglas or LeRoy woman is? She was horrible.

I don't know who they are going to find if they have to replace R. Osborne but they better find somebody good. The **** hosts they've had on in the past three months don't cut it.