Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
clore

What have we learned from Leonard Maltin so far?

That Greta Garbo and George Brent had a thing going on while making THE PAINTED VEIL.

That Anthony Quinn and Ruth Warrick were getting it on while filming CHINA SKY.

What we we hear about Ingrid Bergman or Curt Jurgens when he intros INN OF THE SIXTH HAPPINESS? Was the inn the home to more happiness than we know?

Those types of stories are so easy to make up. Anyone can make up any kind of story like that.

I say, bring back Winona. A nice sweet polite lady.

Even if those stories have some basis of truth, who cares? Is there filmed footage or documentation of these things to prove the stories, again who really cares? I say stick to information that helps give better understanding of the film itself, no national enquirer crap.

Who cares? I'll tell you who cares: the people who buy the trashy books that disgusting writers like Boze Hadleigh and Darwin Porter put out. Go read the reviews on Amazon for their filth. A large percent of people actually believe the books to be true since they are convinced that Hollywood was just as trashy then as it is now "they just covered it up good".

Many people get interested in old Hollywood through the gossip. Sometimes they end up watching the films, sometimes they don't. Several young women idolize Marilyn Monroe. Wear her on tshirts, quote her on social networks - only they don't know if they are quoting Marilyn, or a character in a movie!

You'd be surprised how many people you could get interested in sitting down to watch these films if you did it against a drama and gossip back drop.

I must be wierd...I like the guy ; No, but I can agree with you guys, especially when critics/historians delve into a star's personal/romantic life, it's never interested me. I like Maltin as an historian who writes well and is a becon in this world for all who love classic films.

I don't dislike the guy, I knew him many years ago when we were both in our mid-teens and thus I've long known of his enthusiasm. I was just disappointed that with all that he knows, that he chose to mention the off-set activities rather than spend the time filling us in on the films.

How often does Richard Boleslawski get a prime-time slot, yet there was no mention of him before THE PAINTED VEIL. The film was subject to some drastic trimming before it was released, with a number of familiar players ending up on the cutting room floor. A bit more on that would have been more appropriate than what we were given.

I only watched the intro for The Painted Veil and my only thought was that George Brent sure got around. His leading ladies must have loved him.

I'm really surprised to hear that mostly he related gossipy stories instead of mentioning other things about the films. He must have written them himself, because I don't remember Robert or Ben having too many gossipy intros to films. I'm not saying it never happens, because I know it does, but their intros do seem to have great background info that doesn't involve behind the scenes affairs.

If Maltin were introducing something such as CLEOPATRA, I'd expect some mention of the activities of Taylor and Burton. That's probably what is remembered most by those who were around the time. Similar would apply to THE FOUNTAINHEAD and the Cooper/Neal affair.

I agree that Maltin probably wrote his own intros, or at least had far more input into the copy than any guest host to date. I excpected better but will remain open-minded enough to see what he has in store for the nights to come.

Bob does delve into gossip every now and then. I think those quips are usually saved for his outros, Star of the Month, and when he has a guest programmer for a night or month-long festival.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}Those types of stories are so easy to make up. Anyone can make up any kind of story like that.

>

> I say, bring back Winona. A nice sweet polite lady.

AAACCKKKK! Please no more Winona! She was like all the ladies who have filled in , absolutely terrified, like the cameraman had guns on them or something...perhaps they just are so very uncomfortable in their "real" persona....

> {quote:title=NewYorkGuy wrote:}{quote}Bob does delve into gossip every now and then. I think those quips are usually saved for his outros, Star of the Month, and when he has a guest programmer for a night or month-long festival.

He sure has!

>Please no more Winona! She was like all the ladies who have filled in , absolutely terrified, like the cameraman had guns on them or something...

She was being coy.

How long has it been since you've met a coy girl? Have you ever met a coy girl?

Not all of us like to meet hard cold femme fatal dames all the time.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > Please no more Winona! She was like all the ladies who have filled in , absolutely terrified, like the cameraman had guns on them or something...

> She was being coy.

>

> How long has it been since you've met a coy girl? Have you ever met a coy girl?

>

> Not all of us like to meet hard cold femme fatal dames all the time.

I think someone is smitten with Miss Ryder. She has issues--that's all I'm going to say about her, even though I've liked her films that I've seen.

> {quote:title=helenbaby wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > She was being coy.

> >

> > How long has it been since you've met a coy girl? Have you ever met a coy girl?

> >

> >

> > Not all of us like to meet hard cold femme fatal dames all the time.

> >

> >

> >

> I think someone is smitten with Miss Ryder.

>

Hey, FredC might have some competition there! I too thought Winona was absolutely charming, did a good job, and I'd like to see her return to TCM.

Fred and I have something in common here:

He stated on the other Winona thread that he hadn't seen much of her work before. Same with me. As I am not really interested in new/recent (post-1960's) movies I knew almost nothing about Winona. Some friends who are Louisa May Alcott fans invited me to see the Winona version of LITTLE WOMEN when it came out, and I liked it and liked her, but wasn't inspired to seek out any more of her work. So, as I understand FredC to have also indicated, we watched Winona on TCM last week with no great knowledge or prejudice about her career or alleged offscreen antics. And Fred has said, we saw a pretty, polite and charming young lady who we'd not mind seeing again.

That's what I'd like to see---- a woman subbing for RO coming off as a real femme fatale-----sort of like the Jane Greer character in OUT OF THE PAST.

What I've learned from a Maltin intro is that my tolerance has fallen to a new low.

After 30 seconds, I switched the channel and switched back when I was sure he'd be gone, preferring to miss a few minutes of the movie I'd waited months to see rather than endure his smarminess.

That is a drastic change -- I used to be able to watch a full minute of him before feeling I was engulfed by slime.

I confess that I haven't seen any Maltin intro/outros yet but think he is an outstanding writer with just the right amount of enthusiasm & sentiment to flavor his facts. He has a true interest in classic film much deeper than the "top 40 hits" with a wealth of knowledge about the most esoteric of subjects.

All I can think is it must be his delivery people don't take a shine to.

OTOH, Robert Osborne strikes me as being a perfect professional gentleman in his delivery, coming across as a warm fascinating film friend. His intro/outro content however, just strikes me as pithy common knowledge factoids derived from internet searches.

> {quote:title=JonnyGeetar wrote:}{quote}It could be worse. They could've hired (shudder!) Rex Reed.

I'm not big on Rex, either. But, I'd take him over Jeffry Lyons, or Michael Medved any day.

I like Winona just fine, although she could punch up her delivery just a bit. I haven't seen Maltin on TCM yet. But, I don't hate him, I just disagree with him on occasion.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}That's what I'd like to see---- a woman subbing for RO coming off as a real femme fatale-----sort of like the Jane Greer character in OUT OF THE PAST.

Perhaps Kathleen Turner would do? She would for me.

> That's what I'd like to see---- a woman subbing for RO coming off as a real femme fatale-----sort of like the Jane Greer character in OUT OF THE PAST.

That would be Rose McGowan, who I think was compared to Jane Greer when she picked *Out of the Past* as a Guest Programmer (or maybe it was as part of her stint on The Essentials ).

> I only watched the intro for The Painted Veil and my only thought was that George Brent sure got around. His leading ladies must have loved him.

I'd think they would have like that he appeared so bland and non-threatening on screen. It would allow them to shine. :-)

> All I can think is it must be his delivery people don't take a shine to.

I thought he was speaking too fast.