Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE CONSTANT "LOGO"

Has TCM ever aired their logo over an entire movie before? As they did with tonight's airing of THE CONSTANT NYMPH?

Is this something the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS asked for?

Can TCM really say they show movies as they were meant to be seen when the bug shows up like that?

On a side note...

Can TCM really be called commercial free when it airs promos for DVDs and other TCM memorabilia?

Not wanting to cause a stir so much as looking for a debate...

Yancey

>Can TCM really be called commercial free when it airs promos for DVDs and other TCM memorabilia?

TCM is definitely not commercial-free. However, it does not interrupt films to air commercials in between scenes. That is the accurate way to regard this situation.

> Is this something the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS asked for?

If not the LOC, then perhaps Warners because they would prefer to release the DVD rather and not have bootleg copies competing with their sales. Clearing the rights issues which kept this film off screens (and ultimately home video) for over fifty years couldn't have been cheap and DVD sales is one way to off-set those costs.

> Can TCM really say they show movies as they were meant to be seen when the bug shows up like that?

We may not like the bug, constant or not, but TCMProgrammr addressed the situation when the bug was first introduced and it is basically at the insistence of the studios to cut down on bootlegging.

I'd rather have the bug than not be able to see a large variety of classic films on TCM.

> On a side note...

> Can TCM really be called commercial free when it airs promos for DVDs and other TCM memorabilia?

I'd rather see TCM airing channel appropriate revenue making DVD promos and memorabilia promos than have to go the revenue route of running commercials for anything in between films or during the film.

I've noticed that in some early American Biograph silent films, they actually had a small sign, about 8 inches by 8 inches, with "AB" printed on it, sitting somewhere on the set of the film. Sitting on a table, or desk, or hanging on a wall. I figure that was for their proof of ownership of the footage.

I don't like it, but I can put up with it, considering the unusual circumstances of having this rare film available to us. This certainly beats the other networks. :)

And you can be sure that a lot of professional recorders were recording that movie, specifically for the sale of bootleg copies stolen off the TCM broadcast.

FredCDobbs -

Yes, the AB was actually there to stop pirates. Even back then. There was a serious problem with pirating films.

Nothing has changed.

I think most of us feel very personally toward TCM. As if it were our very own. I wonder if any other channel has that kind of loyalty?

I must say that I can pretty much put up with anything TCM does. There's nothing like it anywhere and I'd hate to see anything change that.

Yancey

*"Has TCM ever aired their logo over an entire movie before? As they did with tonight's airing of THE CONSTANT NYMPH?"* - YC

Not that I recall - unless it was done in error. When the "animated" bug first appeared some years back, I think there were some temporary glitches that kept the logo in place longer than necessary. But I could be "mis-remembering".

*"Is this something the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS asked for?"*

I bet they had a some input to the situation.

*"Can TCM really say they show movies as they were meant to be seen when the bug shows up like that?"*

TCM's mantra is to show films "as they were meant to be seen - uncut and commercial-free." The channel-identifying logo on screen doesn't seem to conflict with that mission. There is some trade-off for watching a film on television rather than in a movie theater - where a film is really meant to be seen. (Unless the films you saw at the TCM Classic Film Fetival last spring had a TCM logo. )

*"Can TCM really be called commercial-free when it airs promos for DVDs and other TCM memorabilia?"*

Commercial television channels sell advertising time. Because no person or company can purchase advertising minutes on TCM, that makes it "commercial-free."

I think all the "offers for merchandise" made on the channel direct viewers to this website which has no restricitions on commercial activity. With that in mind, it is surprising that commercial activity isn't more prominent on the pages of the website. And one could also interpret the lack of intrusive commercial advertising on this site as a commitment to respecting an audience that has become accostomed to a commercial-free TCM experience.

Also, all "promotional materials" that TCM runs between feature films are created by TCM. They are not the property of another entity. No one else but TCM is responsible for what is shown on the channel 24/7. The Warner Archive or Movies Unlimited don't provide the materials in which they are featured. That also keeps the "commercial-free" description valid.

Kyle In Hollywood

To say TCM is commercial-free is absolutely false. Any time they are hawking a movie or a magazine or a book, that is a commercial. Just because their advertising is not like we see on other channels, that does not make it any less commercial.

We need to be accurate about this. Any post that clings to the idea that TCM is commercial-free seems to be written in a state of denial.

TCM should be lauded, as should FMC, for not interrupting movies. That is their strength. But if we added up all the minutes spent each day, each week, each month and each year selling products instead of showing films, then that is their weakness.

*"To say TCM is commercial-free is absolutely false. Any time they are hawking a movie or a magazine or a book, that is a commercial. Just because their advertising is not like we see on other channels, that does not make it any less commercial."* - TB

There's a BIG difference.

But I'm not going to argue with you and "your sources of information." .

Kyle (Far from a river in Egypt) In Hollywood

In my opinion, it's erroneous to say TCM is not commercial free. It does seem like someone is in denial about their favorite channel. It seems like someone is trying to invent a new definition of commercial and commercial-free. It seems silly. Most people would agree that those spots between movies are commercials...therefore, TCM is not commercial-free between movies.

If *any* type of commercials are in between movies on TCM, wouldn't this be a moot point? If one would to manually record a TCM movie or dub it from a DVR, those commercials or spots will be a distant forgotten memory when viewing the recording in the future.

Edited by: hamradio on Sep 29, 2011 4:22 AM

> {quote:title=yanceycravat wrote:}{quote}Has TCM ever aired their logo over an entire movie before? As they did with tonight's airing of THE CONSTANT NYMPH?

>

> Is this something the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS asked for?

>

They did it again for BRITISH AGENT but not for any others of the LoC films shown so far in this 24-hour LoC spotlight.

So the only two that had the "bug" (logo) on throughout were the only two Warner Bros. Pictures shown. That may explain something. We can wait & see what happens when other WB Pictures are shown later today.

I read elsewhere that the non-stop logo may have been at the request of Warner Brothers, possibly to prevent further bootleg copies of ?The Constant Nymph.? The transfer used on TCM was beautiful; leagues ahead of the terrible bootleg copies of it that are currently out there. I have read that ?The Constant Nymph? may be officially released on DVD now that the rights have been cleared after so many years, so that will perhaps hearten those who (like myself) were a little distracted by the constant bug.

It?s a little strange that they would run the non-stop logo on ?British Agent? as that has played on TCM before. I saw a showing of it some time ago; didn?t watch last night so perhaps there was considerable restoration on the film that I am not aware of.

In any case, it was wonderful to see ?The Constant Nymph? finally get a presentation on TCM. Hopefully it is not a one-time thing,

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=yanceycravat wrote:}{quote}Has TCM ever aired their logo over an entire movie before? As they did with tonight's airing of THE CONSTANT NYMPH?

> >

> > Is this something the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS asked for?

> >

> They did it again for BRITISH AGENT but not for any others of the LoC films shown so far in this 24-hour LoC spotlight.

> So the only two that had the "bug" (logo) on throughout were the only two Warner Bros. Pictures shown. That may explain something. We can wait & see what happens when other WB Pictures are shown later today.

So far the logo has not shown up on HEAT LIGHTNING (a Warner Bros. Picture).

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Weird they would run it during British Agent. They've shown that a good number of times (and it isnt very good). Hardly a hot ticket bootleg item.............

I agree.

But this LoC print was new & different from what's been shown on TCM before. But I didn't notice anything new or different in the film, just a different print. If there was anything new & different about it (like the two different versions of BABY FACE) you'd think they'd have promoted or at least mentioned it somewhere even though they ran it after the hosts retired.

So with all the many LoC rarities they could have shown we have to wonder why they ran this, a movie that's always been available and shown regularly and with nothing evidently wrong with the old copy.

So with all the many LoC rarities they could have shown we have to wonder why they ran this, a movie that's always been available and shown regularly and with nothing evidently wrong with the old copy.

Heck, when they had a salute to the UCLA preservation efforts, they ran two Sherlock Holmes films. The problem was that they used public domain titles and prints, not the restored ones.

> {quote:title=johnnyweekes70 wrote:}{quote}It's on 'Taxi' now. Glad I kept my old copy.

Yes, they're "branding" this one too with the logo on constantly. But why? This movie has always been around, never rare, and this print doesn't look any different or better than what's always been shown before.