Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOAN FONTAINE

I've always been a big Joan Fontaine fan. Her early movies show her talent and her beauty. She is a master of displaying the timidity and genuine shyness of her characters. And, did I mention her beauty? She will be 94 on October 22 and lives in Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA. There was a brief interview with a photo, in the March, 2008, Vanity Fair magazine. You can read it online at VanityFair.com., or just google Joan Fontaine and look it up. (by the way, she still looked pretty darn good at 90)

she has a home in Carmel Highlands (4 miles south of Carmel-by-the-Sea). i know someone who lives in the same neighborhood. i drove by the place one time out of curiosity. it looks exactly like the kind of home an old movie star might choose to live in, and there's even a sign out front with her last name on it. so i guess she doesn't mind if people know where she lives.

amazing to think she is one of the last living links to Hollywood's golden age.

Carmel Highlands? That sounds like Paradise in CA, good choice.

I looked up some rental/Holiday sites. It looks heavenly.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/california/central-coast/carmel-highlands

Wiki is very reserved in their comments. It must be exclusive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmel_Highlands,_California

It maybe way too pricey for my pay grade, but the area is gorgeous!

Edited by: casablancalover on Oct 1, 2011 8:23 AM

My wife and I go to Carmel once a year on our way to Napa. We stay at the Colonial Inn. It isn't too expensive ($130 or so a night), and is only a few blocks from the beach and about 34 of a mile from downtown. We like it better than downtown since we don't have to drive in downtown (we just walk along the beach front road to the downtown and the walk along the cliffs is one of the best in the world).

I have been to the Highlands but didn't know Joan's house was there. I'll have to check it out next time. I have a 1948 Times mag with Olivia on the cover (they featured The Snake Pit). For some reason I don't think Joan would want to sign it!

I wish TCM would clear the rights to FROM THIS DAY FORWARD so we could see Joan Fontaine and Mark Stevens as young married couple trying to get started after WW2. A really nice film produced at RKO in 1946. It was on the old AMC years ago.

I loved it when Joan made guest appearances on the different talk shows and game shows in the 1960s. She looked so elegant in her blonde beehive hairdo and her speaking voice was great to hear. I actually liked her better than Crawford or Davis who were making the rounds then too.

Stay at the Highlands Inn in Carmel. It's expensive but it's one of the most beautiful places on earth. It's restaurant -- Pacific Edge -- is one of the best I've ever eat at and it literally hangs over the edge of the ocean. Breathtaking place.