Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RichardChchNZ

YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE (1964) SUNDAY 16 OCTOBER !!

Greetings from New Zealand!

At last, this highly entertaining drama starring James Franciscus, Suzanne Pleshette

and Geraldine Paige (sp?) is about to premier on TCM on the above date.

If anyone is going to save it, I would love to see it again and have many other titles

to offer.

I had it once on VHS too!

Richard

Christchurch, New Zealand

richard_chchnz at hotmail.com

I hope some of you good folks got a chance to see YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE. One of Delmer Daves' great soapers. Super duper character cast, great Steiner score, and Suzanne Pleshette fetching as ever (love those glasses!).

Aside from the movie, I'm just impressed that someone from New Zealand is posting here. I've always wanted to go there, it's always struck me as a very beautiful country.

Yeah, Canada steals a lot of ideas from New Zealand - sometimes not very fun ones. Like the GST (good and services tax), which New Zealand introduced first.

Anyone who's seen the *Lord of the Rings* movies will recall that much of it was filmed in New Zealand - and its scenery really worked.

I was more interested in watching this because it was Mary Astor's last film. She began as a silent film star in Hollywood in the mid-20s. So she caps a forty-year motion picture career.

I like Suzanne Pleshette, but she did not have my attention. Mary Astor did. Take a bow, lady.

Just for the record, Mary Astor’s last film was actually “Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte” in 1965. But I agree – a great actress. I was riveted by her every performance.

Edited by: rjsdvd on Oct 17, 2011 9:23 PM

Just for the record, Mary Astor?s last film was actually ?Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte? in 1965. But I agree ? a great actress. I was riveted by her every performance.

Edited by: rjsdvd on Oct 17, 2011 9:23 PM

Both films were released in 1964. If you are going to correct someone, make sure your facts are correct. Thanks.

I could not locate the production dates for either film on the TCM database. However, the database does list YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE as her last film. It hit movie screens in November '64. CHARLOTTE hit theatres during Christmas weekend '64. But it may have been produced much earlier. I think YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE may be the last film she made, even if it was released before CHARLOTTE.

Her last television role was in 1963. So she definitely retired from acting altogether, unless she still did some occasional theatre work which does not seem very likely. She lived until 1987.

That's interesting, and certainly makes total sense that "Hawke" was her last production, but not the last-released film. (I have great faith in the accuracy of the TCM database.) It also explains why I always thought of "Charlotte" as a '65 film, since it was released so late in 1964 (a rather odd choice for a Christmas release, but I suspect the studio wanted to get it into the theatres in time for 1964 Oscar eligiblity. It ended up getting nominated for several, including a nomination for Agnes Moorehead.)

Hi again from New Zealand where I live in the (very) scenic South Island.

Has anyone 'saved' Youngblood Hawke - would so love to see this again.

Best wishes,

Richard, Christchurch, NZ

I think this is another case of a new transfer for HD with the sides being shaved on regular cable. Same thing happened with Warners' THE STORY OF MANKIND. Rather than showing a 4x3 open matte print, the 1:85 aspect ratio is retained (no "airspace"). But instead of letterboxing, they transfer for 16x9 HD and on regular tv you lose the sides.

I thought the blonde leading lady was Etchika Choureau until the credits showed it was Genevieve Paige..It's easy to see why Pleshette and Franciscus became TV stars. They did not have big screen appeal and charisma.