Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BLANK THREAD!!!!!!!!!!

if you like Betty Hutton, i highly recommend checking out indie rock singer/songwriter Kristin Hersh's early-years autobiography *Rat Girl*, which came out last year. It is mostly about Kristin's struggles as a teenage musician in New England in the mid-80's, when her band Throwing Muses was just starting to make a name for itself. But she also befriended Betty Hutton at that time (they both took classes at the same college), and Betty makes frequent appearances throughout the book, even giving Kristin some helpful advice about peforming and showbiz. (which she mostly ignores at the time, but later comes to appreciate).

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2010/09/the_secret_life_of_the_american_teenage_rock_star.single.html

and Betty Hutton used to go see Throwing Muses play whenever they were in Newport, which is really hard for me to imagine, since this is what the band sounded like at the time:

Edited by: racketbuster on Oct 11, 2011 1:12 PM

I haven't seen the documentary, but I have read Gerald Posner's Case Closed,

which takes a very thorough look at the assassination and makes a very persuasive

case that Oswald was the lone gunman. One thing that I believe keeps conspiracies

alive is that there will always be a few, relatively insignificant things that cannot be

explained or don't make sense, but that's just the way things sometimes work in the

real world. Vincent Bugliosi published a huge book about the Kennedy assassination

a few years ago that is about four times the length of Case Closed. He too comes

to the conclusion that Oswald was the sole gunman.

I remember some of the earlier conspiracy documentaries that would show up on

A & E and other channels. There were so many different conspiracies going, there

wouldn't have been room for anyone else in Dealey Plaza.

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=BetteDavis19 wrote:}{quote}This thread is a free space, a blank slate. Anyone post any miscellaneous. Post arguements, thoughts, concerns, interests, random questions, anything!

> Can we argue over how to correctly spell arguments?

And how about how not to split infinitives?

A few random musings:

Why is it called a mobile home, when it isn't?

How can "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean the same thing?

And, if the plural of "louse" is "lice" and the plural of "mouse " is "mice," how come the plural of "spouse" isn't "spice?"

RE: Betty Hutton and the Throwing Muses...well, racketbuster, as you probably know if you're even a casual Betty H. fan, she was incredibly lively and energetic, and I suspect she was considered pretty outrageous herself in her time.

That said, however, I had to laugh when I clicked your link to that Throwing Muses number. It was so off the wall - the idea of Betty Hutton, who must have been pretty elderly by 1987, in the crowd, listening to that chick/post-punk/alt/ indie/somewhat tuneless but inventive band, struck me as deliciously funny. Wonder if she pogo-ed to it?

(Answer to Frank-------Ohio: )

I hate sushi - one of the most over-rated foods I can think of ( a kind of torture for me would be to have to eat a turnip sushi.)

Using only nouns? So we don't have to write in a sentence, more like a list? d'accord...

female movie-lover reader mother cat-fancier ( to avoid using the word -lover again) music-listener dancer (amateur) spouse hiker/walker rocket scientist

(which one is false?)

That was really hard to do - it seems kind of stark, somehow - adjectives would have been a lot easier

No tattoo - not into tattoos - don't have any piercings either, not even my ears.

Conversely, I'm tempted to say I have a large scarlet dragon tattooed all over my back, with the fire the dragon's breathing flaring up my neck.

Couldn't live without oxygen - it's all about physiology.

If you mean, "think" I couldn't live without - music, which feeds my soul, baby.

First I wash my hands, while reciting the Lady Macbeth speech (from Macbeth). "Not all the perfumes of Arabia can wash this little hand..."

> {quote:title=nightwalker wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}The plural of "house" isn't "hice" either, so what's the big deal?

> No "big deal," finance, just some humor. Ever hear of it?

Yeah, finance ol' buddy! What's with all the gricing..err..grousing here, huh dude?! ;)

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}In defence of finance, I would say he has a great sense of humour.

Ummmm...excuse me here MissW, but I don't believe our friend finance is Canadian, and so I THINK you meant "in defense of finance, etc. etc. etc.." here, didn't YA?!

(...okay, so maybe because YOU'RE Canadian, I'll admit my gricing...err...GROUSING might not apply here! ;)

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}He is most definitely not Canadian. He'd rather be in Philadelphia.

wcfields.jpg

"Aah yes, my good lady. In THAT case, he's in good company! In fact, I remember I once spent a week there one night!"

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}You mean she's supposed to use the Canadian and British spelling only when referring to Canadians, mad dogs and Englishmen?

Uh huh...and Joe Cocker!!!

(...and especially whenever she enters the premises through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon!)

I was reading the latest comments on Ascot's "Plan a Dinner Party and Invite 20 Guests" thread, and it veered a little off topic into the idea of publicity stunts.

It gave me this idea: If you were to plan a publicity stunt for a classic actor/actress, what would it be? Would you be involved or not?

(e.g., a hot air balloon ride with x, have a star dress up as a clown or some other crazy costume, etc.)

I didn't start this as a separate thread but put it here, thinking if no one could think of anything they could just ignore it and move on. ;) )