Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

IF YOU COULD LIVE IN A MOVIE, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

Hi BettyDavis19 . . .

Is it OK if I 'Jump' from One Movie into Another instead of 'living' in it ?. . . because there are quite a few I would LOVE to pop into . . .

Let's see ... My first 'Jump' would have to be *'Casablanca'*. I would have 'Warned' Ugarte (Peter Lorre) that it wasn't Safe to hang around Rick's place, convincing him to "...Adios, Casablanca ..." ! (...and of course, Nobody ever 'Sweated' in Casablanca. The men looking 'Cool' in their White Jackets & Brilliantine slicked-back hair And the ladies', elegantly dresses with perfectly 'coiffed' hair). And I would have sung the 'Marseille' along with the rest of them.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxXhEcLOPzaEzU9bnOx7i

My next 'Jump' would be into . . . '*Rebecca*'. I would have to begin by putting Mrs. Danvers (Judith Anderson) 'in her Place', by letting her know that I AM THE NEW Mrs. de Winter, and begin 'Taking Over'... openning up whatever Rooms I wanted to, including the 'Old' Mrs. de Winter's bedroom, going through that Beautiful Mansion with it's Breathtaking Ocean Views . . . I'm Not a 'Hard' person ... we CAN be friends ... my way !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTD3XkDypGuQhZX8WjXmMt

Now, let's see, my last Jump (for now) would be, "*A Tree Grows in Brooklyn*". It would be an experience to see what life would have been like, living in the earlier part of the century alongside 'folks' who weren't so 'Priviledged'. I would enjoy going to the Library with Francie Nolan, going with her and her brother, Neely to the butcher shop for 'Mom', going to school with them and finally, the 'catching of the Christmas Tree' that the neighborhood kids partook in ... I would have tried to convince Katie Nolan to go 'easy' on her husband, 'Johnny' ... and try to convince Johnny to go 'easy' with that bottle .... And I would have been a Great Friend with good-hearted 'Aunt Sissy'.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAPM6PSPxYhyrzlnL_94Q

Well, here I am ... back again, in front of my computer . . . until my Next Jump !

Edited by: ugaarte on Oct 6, 2011 4:50 AM

Good question to ponder Bette. I think it would have to be Life With Father. For whatever reason I love the mid to late 1800's. The other might be Meet Me In St. Louis just because of the excitement about the World's fair and the sense of hope for the future. Seemed like a very interesting and optimistic time.

I would chose to live within *Alice in Wonderland* (1951) because it is more orderly and makes much more sense than my life at present.

I believe it would also be nice to be a cartoon character because you could rub against things to erase parts of yourself which are larger than you like and you could stretch lines where you wanted more.

Great choice, SansFin, on your selection of 'Alice in Wonderland' 1951 . . .

That's where I would like to travel too, but into the *1933 'Alice in Wonderland'* with Charlotte Henry . . . This would be such a 'Surreal & Fanciful' experience, having 'TEA' with Mad Hatter, playing Croquet with the Red Queen, reciting the poem "The Walrus and the Carpenter" with Tweedledum & Tweedledee and conversing with the Caterpillar, while he smokes his hookah, sitting on a Mushroom . . .

And, of course, ending my visit by 'pressing' through the Looking Glass.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-h79zrHj-Za-FNxU1asI

My next visit would be to see Elwood Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in *"Harvey".* I would have great afternoons listening to a very placid Elwood, telling of his 'philosophies' of life ... and meeting his friend, Harvey the 'Pooka'. And before I would leave, I, too, would have my Picture taken with the 6' 3" Rabbit.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8pyJs54VckcT7zG_vVc0

And my last visit ... for now ... would be to the 'Dream Sequence' Dancing in, *"Golddiggers of 1935* . . . and Yes ! ... I would Naturally know HOW to Tap Dance along with the others. I would love to be the Lady who is 'Lifted Up' to *KISS* a very handsome Dick Powell. This Awesome Dancing Never fails to Raise my Adrenaline . . .

http://youtu.be/rTgGCBeLZGg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6hTE1rgkFY0N_srmhsk1

. . . And Now I'm back home again (my feet a little sore), in front of my computer .... until my Next Visit . . .

Edited by: ugaarte on Oct 6, 2011 4:36 AM

BD19,

I love this thread topic! So creative!

There is one movie that I felt I did live in, at least for the whole time I was watching it. I have never had the experience repeated with another film.

It's MR. AND MRS. BRIDGE. I had hoped TCM would air it as part of the recent Merchant-Ivory tribute, but no such luck.

I felt that everyone in that Chicago art house theatre was living inside the world of that film. It grabbed hold of all us patrons that day. It woke me up to the potentialities of cinema, and I went to USC film school shortly thereafter.

I make a point of re-watching it every few months, so it is my most-viewed selection...and at this point, it is deeply embedded in my subconscious and conscious mind.

What is it about a film that speaks to us, that makes us inhabit its world with our imagination...? Film is such a unique art form in this regard!

> {quote:title=BetteDavis19 wrote:}{quote}Hi old-movie-lovers of the world! I just thought up an interesting question, if you had to live in a movie, what movie would it be and why?

Great topic! I didn't have to think hard for my answer: *Christmas in Connecticut*.

Beyond just living in the movie, I'd want to live in the country house, but that would involve buying it from Reginald Gardiner's "John Sloan," so that he wouldn't be around talking about those rabbit hutches or whatever it is he builds. Of course, Elizabeth Lane (Barbara Stanwyck), Jefferson Jones (Dennis Morgan), Uncle Felix (S.Z. Sakall), and even Alexander Yardley (Sydney Greenstreet) would always be welcome for a visit. And I'd ask Norah (Una O'Connor) to stay on as housekeeper.

I've sometimes dreamt that if I ever had the money, I'd hire an architect to design a real version of the *Christmas in Connecticut* house, build it, move in, and then invite Robert Osborne to film his Christmas Eve introductions there. (Maybe if the lottery ever comes through for us!)

Great question!

It's a tough choice. I think maybe I'd go with "The Awful Truth". It'd be a blast to hang out with Lucy (Irene Dunne) and Jerry (Cary Grant) Warriner, maybe help them out and take Mr. Smith out for a walk now and then, and live in one of those absolutely gorgeous apartments!

Edited by: JamesinArlington on Oct 6, 2011 10:49 AM

> {quote:title=Im4movies2 wrote:}{quote}Gary Indiana 1912 The Music Man. Living in a by gone era with everyone bursting into dance and song would be a fantasy dream come true.

You're right about the year, but the musical was actually set in the fictional River City, Iowa, which was based on Meredith Willson's boyhood home of Mason City, Iowa. (I'm a former Iowan, so I felt compelled to mention this.) Gary, Indiana was, of course, the title of a song in the show, but it was about music man Harold Hill's hometown.

In any event, you're right that it would be a nice world to live in!

There are WAY too many scenarios from classic Hollywood movies that I'd've liked to have been in, I can't even begin to narrow it down. So I'll go with a more recent movie, FRIDA. Mostly set in one of my favorite cities, Ciudad de México, at a time when it was a small capital (1920s-30s), traffic was minimal, its colonial legacy still not marred by incongruous modern architecture, its crystal clear mountain air allowing regular vistas of the nearby snowcapped volcanoes, no megalopolis to have swallowed nearby villages and countryside alike, and most importantly, a fervent intellectual and artistic climate. I would have like to have been a part of that.

Hi TopBilled ...

I found your entry very interesting and I feel that you've *'hit the nail on the head'* for a lot of us regarding being *'Part of a Movie'* . . . I believe you've succeeded in 'voicing' an experience of which a lot of us have had the pleasure of partaking ...

( *... I felt that everyone in that Chicago art house theatre was living inside the world of that film. It grabbed hold of all us patrons that day ...)*

I can Imagine the 'Experience' you & the other patrons had Encountered . . . being All of 'One-Liked' minds after a Movie like this ! .... What would have been Awesome if you all would have gathered somewhere for Coffee to Express what had just taken place. You all would have been drinking Coffee

all night ... into the morning.

*(... I make a point of re-watching it every few months, so it is my most-viewed selection...and at this point, it is deeply embedded in my subconscious and conscious mind ...)*

I had the good fortune of viewing the Trailer on Youtube and I can see how this Movie would Captivate you ... It's Fantastic and now I'm looking forward to Viewing this Movie in it's Entirety ....

*(...What is it about a film that speaks to us, that makes us inhabit its world with our imagination...? ...)*

' ... I feel that the Ambiance of the Times & the Setting of the right Mood can easily '*Coax*' the viewer into a world 'created' for them. I believe it helps for the Viewer to be 'receptive' and 'responsive' (not closed-minded) to the story line, too, . . . Allowing it to Envelope us for awhile ... as I'm sure you all had experienced !

I don't want to live in the movie but I wouldn't mind living in the house that William Holden and June Allyson live in *Executive Suite*. I love its mid-century modern design.

Same goes for *LA Confidential* but I would love to live in Pierce Patchett's house designed by Richard Neutra.

Edited by: lzcutter because William Holden is nothing like William Powell

*. . . Ciudad de México, at a time when it was a small capital (1920s-30s), traffic was minimal, its colonial legacy still not marred by incongruous modern architecture, its crystal clear mountain air allowing regular vistas of the nearby snowcapped volcanoes, no megalopolis to have swallowed nearby villages and countryside alike, and most importantly, a fervent intellectual and artistic climate. . .*

Oh, so True, *Arturo* ... so very True ! ... 'BULLS-EYE'!! ... Your Description Covered it all ! ...

Mexico's 'backdrop' was one of Beauty and so Unscathed !

And '*FRIDA'* was such a Unique film . . . filled with Depth and Rich Colors ! And the 'animations' of Frida's paintings were one of Originality, continually 'exploding' into a 'Kaleidoscope' effect ...

MrRoberts,

Thanks for catching that. I shouldn't try to multi-task when typing a response. I knew it was William Holden, not Powell. Not sure where the Powell came from except maybe I was thinking it was Jane Powell and not June Allyson?

Anyways, I fixed it.

A million thanks!

Movies are a great invention, in that they allow us into a make beleive story world like reading a good book. I have always thought that the world of fantasy and the real world should be kept seperate. I have seen problems with people that melds the 2 in which they have a difficult time telling the difference between fantasy and reality.

There was a radio talk show back in 1991 during the Persian Gulf War and a lady called in wanting to know the phone number of a soap opera actress to *warn her* that Sheila was planning to steal her baby. The radio host paused for about 15 seconds before responding telling her its all a conspiracy then hung up. He said in a stunned voice they're out there.

I've also wondered are alien conspiratist having this same problem (beside not having a life).

So happens Hollywood made a movie about this threads theme called "Last Action Hero" (1993) in which with a magic ticket transported a boy with hero worship into the movie. He didn't know the door swings both ways. Liked that unusual plot.

Tough choice here, but the first time and place I thought of is most likely the most beautiful city in America: San Francisco. And the time:1958. In other words, the time and place of Hitchcock's *Vertigo* .

(...I know my wife would love this idea, as SF would be her dream locale in which to live...but real estate it's just too darn expensive there nowadays)

*Tough choice here, but the first time and place I thought of is most likely the most beautiful city in America: San Francisco. And the time:1958. In other words, the time and place of Hitchcock's Vertigo *

*(...I know my wife would love this idea, as SF would be her dream locale in which to live*

Yeah, Dargo, but how would you wife feel about the part in which you're following Kim Novak around?

:^0

Well, actually Tom, I doubt she'd believe I would've had a fixation for Kim. BUT, seein' as how this would've been the year 1958, and my wife knowing that I've always had a thing for brunettes, she WOULD'VE believed in a heartbeat that I'd have been following around, say, Ava Gardner, Cyd Charisse, Sophia Loren or Gina Lollobrigida, in the City by the Bay!

;)

(...btw Tom, I WAS going to include Natalie Wood on my list there, but in '58, Natalie would've been a bit too young for me...OR for Jimmy Stewart, for THAT matter!)

Edited by: Dargo on Oct 7, 2011 8:34 AM