Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If You Could Have...

You know, even though I have my favorite stars like everyone else, I have always had a special admiration for the stunt people and would love to sit down with some of them . They could tell me how they accomplished those spectactular stunts that made my favorite star look so good!

Tomagain77, you could probably make that happen! Poor Robert Downey, JR. I hope he can finally get his act together, because he has done some good work in the past (CHAPLIN, for example). If the planets all aligned, I would probably introduce my favorite actress, Cate Blanchett, to some Kansas City Barbecue (providing she's a carnivore), which we would wash down with a couple of cold beers, discussing the current state of cinema. I've seen her in interviews and she seems pretty down to earth. If she's not down with the BBQ, we could go somewhere more upscale. But to sit down with any of my favorite actors, actresses, or directors, to discuss movies, well, that would be pretty cool......

Mongo, my initial thought was so close to yours it's scary. Slappy, I'm glad I don't drink water (or anything else) while I'm reading your snappy replies else I'd have had to have replaced my keyboard a couple of times in recent days ... funny stuff!

Ok fella's...the "new" game plan is that we no longer allow Leo to corrupt good threads and discussions, and this means that we need to move the whole load into a new thread anyone can create for Leo rather than help him ruin good threads from now on by giving him any attention within someone else's threads. It's way past time that we took back our boards, and used them to make a whole lot more people happy than we've been making Leo for a change. ;)ML

I would love to spend the day with Lucille Ball. And that's a tough call because my two other top choices would be Norma Shearer and Sinatra.

I would just love to paint the town red with any one of these favorites (especially Sinatra who knew how to party) and I'd also love to hear them talk about their lives from their own perspective.

I stated that I would love to talk to Cate Blanchett, as it relates to today. If I could go back in time, I would probably play tennis with Garbo. I've read she was quite a good player. In fact, any verbal contact with Garbo would have been interesting. I'm not sure how much conversation I could gotten out of her, but to speak to her on a movie set or anywhere else, would have been fascinating.

Keith you're right, when the thread was started it applied to today's times.

Well, if I wanted to pick a star of my generation, I would choose Natalie Portman, not only because she's a fine and intelligent actress, but because she's INCREDIBLY beautiful. I'm mesmerized every time I see her. And because this thread is rated PG-13, I don't want to get into what we would do.

And if I were to pick a star outside of my generation I think I would choose Liz Taylor. She's had such an amazing life and is such an icon I think I would just be in awe of her. I would love to hear her talk about her film career AND her incredible personal life. All the people she's known - simply put she's a living legend. I would also love to spend the day with Joan Fontaine or Olivia deHavilland - two more icons with incredible stories to share.

The original post in this thread states: "If you could have....one day with your fave celebrity, what would the two of you do?" (and, please keep it PG-13).

That's tough! I'm such an incurable Romantic it's hard not to play make believe and allow myself to become totally carried away in the process!

And, I have so many favorite celebrities...living, dead, of my generation, and of the next generation, it's nearly impossible to pick just one!

Then there are the females who are also favorites! Problems, problems!

So, I'll do it this way:

Living: Robert Redford, my generation. Saddle up a couple of Quarter Horses, and head out into the country for the day talking about his life in film. Would love to have him do a sketch for me. He's a very good artist and I like that in a man.

Living: Anne Bancroft, my generation. I'd follow this grand lady wherever she wanted to go, and do whatever she wanted to do when we got there. But, somehow I like to think of us sitting in front of a flickering fireplace, sipping wine, and her just talking about herself and her film career while I just listened, totally enraptured.

Dead: Anton Walbrook. Go to an Austrian Cafe, and just talk about his life and who he loved. I love his voice.

Dead: Marjorie Main. I hear that she liked to ride her bike around her neighborhood, so I guess that we could do that, with a stop at an ice cream parlor somewhere along the way where we could order a double-decker and sit and talk about her life and experiences in movies. I'd like to ask Marie Dressler to join us, too!

Next Generation: Matt Damon. What a talent he is! I'd love to know more about him. I might like this young man to take me to a real nice place for dinner after spending an afternoon on a sailboat with him.

Next Generation: Ellen DeGeneres. An extremely talented, and extremely courageous young woman. So what if she's gay? She fascinates me! I'd love to have her take me on a personal tour of all of the beautiful homes she owns. And, I'd love to have her show me how to dance like she does. I'm crazy about how she dances!

And, there are still two gentlemen I would love to spend a day with, just listening to them talk about the people they've interviewed...Robert Osborne, and James Lipton together in Osborne's Loft. Wow.

Well. I certainly should have pleasant dreams tonight! ;)ML

Excellent choices, Mary Lou.

I thought of someone else myself - Kate the Great.

I would've loved to have spent the morning with Hepburn at her Manhattan townhouse, having a good hearty breakfast, while I listen to her reminisce. Then we would take a drive up to Fenwick, her house in Connecticut, to go sailing on Long Island Sound. We would just chat about life and watch the water and the beautiful scenery. Then we would come back to have a good home cooked dinner in front of a roaring fireplace in her incredible house. A grand day it would be.

I'd want to be part of Orson Welles' annual lunch out with Joseph Cotten. Just the sound of their two voices alone would be an amazing experience. Of course, this would've meant being a largely-silent, captive audience for Orson's many hours of stories, made all the more fascinating by his mammoth IQ and inimitable storytelling ability. Naturally, there'd be no guarantee that all the stories you'd hear would be true, but that becomes a very minor point when listening to Orson.

I'd have loved to have spent a day around Lon Chaney Sr. It's such a shame that he was such a private man, as he had so much to say. If he'd have been willing to talk, I'd have asked him a lot about his childhood with deaf parents, and about how this form of communication developed his incredible acting talent.

Also from the classic era, I'd enjoy a long dinner out with the great Bette Davis, even if it meant my being the designated driver. I could never tire of listening to Bette talking about how the Hollywood system worked and about her passion for acting.

In modern times, I'd enjoy staying on the crazy set of a Terry Gilliam production. I always relate so easily to Gilliam's childlike enthusiasm and creativity, and, of course, he'd have hours of stories to tell about failed productions that would rival Orson's.

A day at Russell Crowe's family ranch in Australia would be fun too. I wouldn't worry about Crowe's bad boy reputation, since he's reportedly quite cordial when reporter's mikes aren't around. Crowe possesses the same intelligence and intense passion for acting that I long admired in Bette Davis, and I know that he'd be good for many hours of colorful stories about his craft, his homeland, his family and attitudes about Hollywood and the media in general.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I just love some of the ideas already posted. Osbourne and Lipton would be a blast! And Orson and Joseph Cotton - wow I'd be mesmerized. Just imagine!

I think I'd have to go with Claude Rains though. That would be such fun. ^^

And for a 'modern' actor - I think Kevin Spacey or Anthony Hopkins. Or maybe Michael Caine.