Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Passes to 2012 TCM film festival

Hycee

I 'm a newbie to the film festival. I know they have not announced the date when passes for the 2012 festival will go on sale. Can someone who purchased tickets last year tell me if it's a difficult task to obtain passes once go on sale? I so want to go!!

I bought my 2011 pass as soon as they went on sale. However, as I recall (and I'll defer to other veterans' experiences), passes did not sell out for quite some time.

The more critical availability issues seem to be with hotel rooms (the Roosevelt sold out almost immediately).

My advice to you would be to purchase your pass asap, just in case attendance is significantly greater this time.

Hello Hycee -

It shouldn't be difficult for you to purchase passes at all - especially if you are commited to attending and are able to make the purchase soon after they go on sale.

Make sure you are signed up to receive the Classic Film Festival emails and newsletters by registering at the Festival website.

http://www.tcm.com/festival/

It is most likely through an email that TCM will announce when the passes go on sale. (Though there will be announcements on the channel and at TCM.com too.)

I just looked at the Classic Film Festival website and it states the passes will go on sale in November. So you have a few more weeks to wait.

You're going to have a great time in Hollywood next April.

Kyle In Hollywood

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hycee

I definitely agree you need to make your room or place to stay reservations first (those go pretty quick especially the places to stay closest to the festival venues). Then while you wait for the November 'passes are on sale' announcement, look into making your travel reservations.

As far as pass levels are concerned I know last year the Spotlight level passes (the most expensive passes but the passes with the most extras included in the price) sold out first. Beyond that I don't remember in what order the different levels of passes then sold out.

Hope you get to attend in 2012

• 2 weeks later...

IS IT TRUE? IS IT TRUE???? Passes go on sale on 11-9 @ 10am Eastern? WOOHOOO!!! Stalking TCM, Facebook, and every message board I could get my eyes on may have finally paid off!

For those of you who have been lucky enough to attend either or both of the past two festivals, are purchases made via online only, or is there a telephone option? JUST covering all of my bases ;) With my luck, that would be the ONE day that my internet goes down!

Thanks!!

:D

Well I see per the TCMFF website that passes go on sale 11/9 but there's no time posted so I don't know if the info posted below is totally true or not.

As a previous festival attendee (haven't missed one yet) I would have liked to know this via email but then again maybe not all the details are yet fully known.

I've always bought my passes online but I think there might have been a phone number for doing so in 2010, not sure about that phone option in 2011 or for future festivals though. Someone else will have to definitively answer that question.

Oh okay, it was on Twitter where the time was posted. Haven't been on there much lately, my real (aka other than online) life's rather busy these days & I just haven't had time to be participating much in social media.

Still emails to previous TCMFF attendees (where TCM has them) would be a nice touch (and also for people who have signed up for the festival email newsletter for 2012.

@VDOVault......I completely agree with you regarding the emails that are supposed to be sent out to attendees of past TCMFF's, as well as to those of us who have signed up (shamelessly with every email address that I am affiliated with :) ). I had planned on learning about the release date via email, rather than happening upon it on Facebook as I did today. The result is the same I suppose, so no harm no foul......

As I am on the West coast, I'll be up BRIGHT and EARLY on the 9th to get my passes!!!

Thanks everyone for all of the responses. I have only just joined yesterday, and what a nice group of people-I'm so glad that I joined.

~Meghan

I received my e-mail this afternoon from TCM, so they clearly are doing as they did previously in notifying prior attendees and those on the e-mail list. What info they are announcing is now on the festival web site, and here's the link to the media announcement: http://i.cdn.turner.com/v5cache/TCM/2012/festival/fullsite/_pdf/TCM_Festival_PassesOnSale.pdf Wolfie

Well I still haven't gotten my email yet...no 'TCMFF previous attendee with perfect attendance' love for me I guess :(

I did see some film titles posted on the website though and I did see a few interesting things listed.

What do you all think so far?

Given that TCM has already posted when the passes will go on sale do you think they will let previous TCM fest. attendees and newsletter registers have privy to purchasing passes earlier? I heard they have done this before, true?

> Given that TCM has already posted when the passes will go on sale do you think they will let previous TCM fest. attendees and newsletter registers have privy to purchasing passes earlier? I heard they have done this before, true?

I don't think they've done that in the past. What they have done in the past is offer the passes at a slight discount for everyone until the middle of December. But it looks like they aren't offering that this year.

@lzcutter Sorry but you are wrong, I and many other 2010 attendees got an advanced email (well before anyone at TCM made the announcement in social media or to the general public) for TCM 2011 letting us know when tickets would go on sale for alumni as well as discount pricing.

This year however I still have received NO EMAILS from TCM regarding anything to do with TCMFF 2012. I am very disappointed in the powers that be at TCM breaking the news in social media first and in their apparently uneven treatment of past festival attendees.

I was briefly considering staying at the elevated level of my pass from 2011 for 2012 but now I'm not so sure I want to do that. In fact I'm seriously considering just going to Hollywood at the same time as the 2012 TCMFF to do other interesting things there and putting the hundreds of dollars it costs just to go to TCMFF (this is not including things I would potentially buy from their concessions and/or from guests who attend to sell their wares) as a passholder towards other things in Los Angeles, and maybe only doing a single admission screening or two if it fits with an alternate itinerary I am considering. That and I could free up hundreds of dollars to spend on other entertainment attractions and merchandise I could be buying in Los Angeles instead.

I don't understand why no one at TCM is paying any attention to this board, their own Internet forum but instead puts all the effort out there in promoting the festival to other social media (Twitter & Facebook) and frankly given the lack of attention paid to our questions here, I'm thinking I shouldn't be taking it personally, but I am.

I hadn't caught the fact that there was no "TCM Fanatic" or early-bird rate this year. Looking at only the classic pass, which is what I bought last year, that represents a 25% increase over 2011. This all still is a very good deal, in my opinion, but that nevertheless is a big increase. Perhaps they stopped the discounted rate because they realized they'd have no problem selling out at the regular rate? Wolfie

> I and many other 2010 attendees got an advanced email (well before anyone at TCM made the announcement in social media or to the general public) for TCM 2011 letting us know when tickets would go on sale for alumni as well as discount pricing.

I didn't say that there was no advanced email or discounted pricing in the past.

All I said was that I don't remember there being a special period of time dedicated to alumni of past Film Festivals being able to purchase their passes at a discounted rate before the passes went on sale for everyone at the "TCM Fanatic/Early Bird" prices.

Sorry that you didn't receive the email. I do know in the past two years that there have been posters here who didn't receive the info at the same time as the majority of posters here did.

Maybe there was a glitch in the bulk emailing?

@Wolfie I wasn't planning on basing my attendance in 2012 so much on the cost of the festival pass which you're right will go up $100 for both Classic & Essential levels (I'm not sure what the Spotlight & Matinee levels sold for in the past), though I am sure that in these economic times that extra $100 may make a difference to a lot of people.

Instead I'm now basing how and more importantly IF I choose to attend AT ALL on (to my perception) how previous attendees are not as high a priority to keep happy as it apparently is for TCM to promote the festival in different places.

There are a lot of us who have spent a lot of money (hundreds to thousands on just passes and TCM merchandise) at TCMFF the past 2 years. I'm beginning to feel like if we're not important enough to be informed BEFORE the general public by the festival organizers (in addition to my credit card number they have my email, US mail address, phone number so they can reach me just to let me know simple things like what the Red Carpet film is going to be or even the dates of TCMFF 2012),, well then maybe it's time for me to rethink just how much I (and my money) matter to TCM.

I know I'll be in Hollywood during TCMFF 2012 (my transportation is bought & paid for, my lodgings are booked & waiting).

But this year I just may choose instead to do other things during the festival dates and spend money elsewhere (museums I haven't visited & sellers of entertainment-related things I've bought from before online but haven't been able to patronize in person). That extra several hundred dollars the pass costs I could spend instead with a variety of media and memorabilia sellers in the Southern California area.

I'm willing to wait and see how this plays out but if I haven't heard from the organizers by Wednesday, well I may just alter my itinerary & spending plan for this year's Hollywood trip.

> I'm willing to wait and see how this plays out but if I haven't heard from the organizers by Wednesday, well I may just alter my itinerary & spending plan for this year's Hollywood trip.

You might try using the Contact Us link at the Film Festival website. Posters who missed getting emails used that in the past to reach out to Festival staff for information.

http://www.tcm.com/festival/index.html

The Contact link is at the bottom of the page.

Archived