Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Family Recipes

>I am reminded of the woman who was learning to cook. She easily mastered many things. One thing she could not do is soft-boiled eggs. One day she put all of her effort into it and she still failed. They would not become soft even when she boiled them for hours and hours!

Ha! Good one!

A trick I have learned is to start with the roast frozen and to cook it at very low temperature for a long time. I understand why the slow cooking helps. I do not know why having it frozen helps so very much. Since I have been doing it in that way I have had roasts so tender I could not remove them from the pot in one piece because they fall apart.

My favorite to date is a sirloin tip roast. Cut small slits and place pieces of horseradish into them. Butter with coarse mustard. Freeze over the night. Cut one onion into slices and place in the bottom of a dutch oven. Cover with two cans of potatoes. Place roast on top. Dust with salt. Add large measure of freshly ground pepper. Add one half of a bottle of beer. Roast at 225 degrees for five hours.

Jake's easy down and dirty beef stroganoff in the crock pot.

Throw in a can of cream of mushroom and french onion soup. Then add a pound of beef stew meat. I have used other kinds of beef. It's, of course, at your discretion.

Let her simmer for 6 to 8 hours on low and make sure you have some corn starch or flour to thicken her up a little bit if you desire.

Pour over noodles or rice or whatever. And, of course, add other ingredients like carrots, onions and so on if you like.

Good eatin'

Jake in the Heartland

h3. POSH NOSH.. OMG! ****..

This is the funniest thing I have seen from the UK in years! I loved the lines,

> If you cannot afford 16 pounds 80 for a kilo of chippolatas, you really shouldn't be starting a family..

> By the age of six, all children should be shaving their own fennel.. Priceless!

My new favorite British import.

Edited by: casablancalover on Jan 27, 2012 3:47 AM

It was at the beginning when she describes the typical behavior of buying jam tarts, chocolate fingers, crisps and a shop-bought cake and saying: "There's absolutely nothing wrong with that if you don't really love your children" that caused me to inhale an egg noodle. I had to replay it several times before I would believe I had heard it correctly. :)

I also love the way she talks of disappointing chestnuts and embarrassing vegetables. Everything is organic. It is: "organically salted organic butter".

I think Ben actually had a recipe he liked to make printed up in a magazine article - as I recall it was biscuits. :D

I'm thinking an apple pie, or some creamy clam chowder (it's easy) or something down home with a lot of butter might go over well. You can never go wrong with bacon. Good luck in the competition!

I used to make Campfire Dump Cake with my Cub Scouts when at camp. Name doesn't sound tasty, but oh it is! It is simple enough the Bear Cub Scouts could make on their own.

*_Campfire Dump Cake_*

Can of Fruit Pie filling

White or Yellow cake mix

1 stick butter or margarine

Line a cast iron dutch oven with Aluminum foil. pour the pie filling on the bottom, sprinkle the cake mix over the top, and top with pats of the butter or margarine.

Cover the dutch oven and lay in edge of the campfire, laying enough charcoal briquettes to cover on the top of the lid.. Let cook untouched for 45 minutes, then check for doneness. the pie filling should be bubbling a little through the mix, and the mix is browning. give it another 20 or 30 minutes. You can cook bake the cake while you make foil dinners.

What got me thinking about all this? Somebody mentioned biscuits, which was part of the campfire breakfast.

Edited by: casablancalover on Jan 28, 2012 10:21 PM

I've been away from this thread way too long. Lots of recipes to try out. So I guess I'll have to pass along one of my greatest weapons of appetite destruction:

CAKE MIX COOKIES

2/3 cup shortening

2 eggs

1 box cake mix, any kind you want (lemon is really good, as is spice, and chocolate too)

Mix all this together. Add any raisins or chocolate chips or whatever you want, if anything. Drop by spoonful. Cook at 350 for 8min. Let cool on cookie sheet a minute or two before removing to cooling racks.

No kidding--that's really it. Greatest last minute thing ever. Tasty and fast!

Thanks everyone (Jake, CBlover.. LPC, everybody...) for the recipes! They all sound terrific. (And ps.. cblover.. that dump cake sounds a lot like the one I posted a while back.. but WOW.. over a campfire.. who knew?? I'll keep that in mind this summer when we do our annual scout camp "thing')

Here is one I have been saving.. ever wonder what John Wayne (my beloved Duke) liked to eat for breakfast??? I know I do.. ha. Well, wonder no more:

(Dadgum.. I was with him right up to the chili.. alas, I am getting old. Can't handle the spicy stuff so early in the morning..)

MMMmmm. Hash browns. We don't get them out here in the east - everyone serves what they call home fries, or cubes of potatoes cooked kind of soft, with onions and peppers or paprika, I think.

I miss hash browns.

I would turn around and go right back to sleep if I ate John Wayne's breakfast and I wouldn't be able to get off the couch for a week! Good lord, that's a MAN'S breakfast for sure.

I've made hash browns at home, but I always prefers the good cafe kind.

Best hash browns ever, anywhere, I found not far from my old place in St Paul. The Louisiana Cafe.. crispy outside, tender inside with a little onion and a pinch cajun spice. One thing I wouldn't try to duplicate at home.

They make a great Eggs Benedict too.

Here in Florida, many cafe's pride themselves on the variations on Egg Benedict, and they are all pretty good, But nothing comes close for me than the Hollandaise made with Key Limes rather than lemon. the best Eggs Benedict down around these parts are serve at The Blue Heaven Cafe in Key West.

Edited by: casablancalover on Jan 30, 2012 8:56 AM

That's a great idea, CB! Next time I will try key limes. Of course, that will be Easter morning, since it's my husband's family tradition to have Eggs Benedict on Easter. Then we don't have it again for a year, in order to give our hearts time to recuperate fully from the shock.

Best hash browns I've had were in some little diner in Davenport Iowa this summer. We visited the midwest for a week or so and all I ate were hash browns and beef. I even had hash browns on a hamburger. Tasty midwestern beef. YUM! There's such a difference in the quality - we truly deny ourselves here in New England. Everything tastes like cardboard in comparison, though we have great seafood. :D

There's nothing made with lemon that isn't better made with limes. I think there's a special place in Hell for dummies who make guacamole with lemon, instead of lime. ;):)

Key limes are very good, better than the more common Persian lime, which is big, and looks like a green lemon. There is another alternative - Mexican limes. They are round, like a Key lime, but a little bit bigger. You might find them at an ethnic food store. The place I buy them, a produce place, they are 10 for $1. Tasty and cheap!.