Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Family Recipes

You'd need some sensitive equipment to detect any alcohol remaining, after marinating, then cooking. Alcohol boils at a lower temperature than than water - 172F - so what little was retained from marinating would escape during cooking.

To retain much alcohol in a cooked dish, one must have a fair amount to begin with, then cook at a very low, just-below simmer, or roast at a low temperature. A common use of wine, sauteing mushrooms i.e., will eliminate most of the alcohol, but leave the flavor of the wine, assuming one continues cooking for a few minutes after the wine is added.

Coca Cola will make your teeth soft, too. No kidding. If you want to show a child one reason that drinking pop is bad, take one of their baby teeth, when it falls out, and put it in a glass of Coke for a week. Then, take it out, and you can crumble it in your fingers.

It is the citric and phosphoric acid which does that. Lemonade will also have the same effect.

The panic with ouzo is that you might mush your teeth out of shape and they will stay that way when the ouzo wears off.

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}SansFin wrote:{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black} Ouzo is also very good for that. It is the only drink I have ever had that made my teeth soft. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}Might I ask what it is as I've never heard of it? {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}

> Might I ask what it is as I've never heard of it?

It is from Greece. You can make a substitute by soaking licorice in moonshine.

It is dangerous because it seems mild and there is a biochemical reason that its alcohol does not enter the bloodstream as quickly as most drinks. This leads a person to believe they must drink much more to have the same effect.

It is much like playing with a kitten and when you are nuzzling it lovingly it becomes a blood-thirsty panther.

Am going to try the frozen roast this week-end but not with horseraddish as I don't like it. I have some pot roast seasoning I've rubbed in and wii use Heinz 57 sause rather than mustard. The easy cake mix cookies is one I'll try next. Thank you all for the tips.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}It is the citric and phosphoric acid which does that. Lemonade will also have the same effect.

>

Of course, but you don't have to tell the kids that. It's sugary sodas you want to discourage them from drinking... ;)

Hey, how come this thread was going along fine, don't think it ever left page 1 of this forum, and then as soon as I post something on it, nobody touches it anymore.

Come on, I just made one little joke ! Am I really such a persona non grata around here that one post by me and the thread shuts down?

Maybe it's just a coincidence, and nobody has any recipes to add at this time.

to get back to food...

Just had a little dustup with a girlfriend concerning crock pots. She uses hers about 4 times a week. She was chiding me for have made pot roast in the oven. She said it is so much easier in the crock pot. I told her I prefer the roast in the oven so I can prep and add ingredients at different stages. I told her the art cooking is ingredients plus technique. Crock pots use no real techniques.

Now I have had crock pots in the past, and I will again in the future, but when I put the ingredients in and turn it on to head out to work, I don't think of it as cooking. I think of it as using the crock pot to avoid the time and bother of cooking.

The conversation ended sort of toe-may-toe/toe-ma-toe, but I put it out there; when you use the crock pot, do you think you're cooking?

Is there a recipe out there that is like cooking in the crock pot, with some technique added in the process?

OMG! I was putting together my post, when you wrote..

Actually, some of us here were wondering of taking the great step of mentioning cocktails, with the step into the world of liquor..

But the timer on my roast has gone off, and i need to add the carrots and wine. Be back shortly.. :)

I am wearing an apron, feeling very much the cook today.

Edited by: casablancalover on Feb 12, 2012 4:32 PM- for oven timers are distracting.

Well using a crock pot is still cooking but lets just say that often it is a "lazy man's" technique.

But with the busy schedules a lot of people have making somethink homemade using a crock pot is still light years ahead of eating processed foods or getting take out.

I only use a crock pot when I wish something to cook very slowly that doesn't require a sear (but a roast should be roasted!). For example, dried fava beans take a long time to cook so making them in a crock pot is a good use of the technique (often a gas stove top cannot be adjusted low enough to not scorch the bottom of the pan).

You make some good points. True, a roast in the oven is wonderful which is why I am doing it.

But I was talking to my trusted second source (my sister) and she pointed out that for years she thought the boxed dinners in the store were not good either, but she's softened the attitude with some of the recipes she's adulterated. Her Breakfast Cheesy Hashbrowns cassserole are essentially the Betty Crocker Julienne Cheese potatoes made to instructions for baking, with 1/2 cup sour cream blended in, and adding cubed ham, cooked sausage and chopped onion and little green pepper, Cover the whole thing in sharp grated cheddar and bake at 350 for an hour.

Oh, use a 1 1/2 quart baking dish, for the extra ingredients you add make so much more volume.

Edited by: casablancalover on Feb 12, 2012 5:10 PM

I still believe one can make a better tasting and of course way healthier Breakfast Cheesy Hashbrown casserole from scratch rather than starting out with a box of processed food.

My guess is that Betty Crocker Julienne Cheese potatoes have ingredients that one cannot pronounce.

Your point is well taken. But there is something about the Miller women that you might not have grasped. Yes, we use a processed food for the preparation, and we are aware of the sodium content. But the processing prevents from serious over-indulgence. We keep the portions --

h6. small.

If you can correct this in ingredients, please share.

In almost all things, moderation is the key.

Not sure I understand what you are saying here. It appears to be: if something is made with all natural ingredients we will over-indulgence. So instead we use processed foods and just limit our portion sizes. (but again, I could be very confused, at now I'm also hungry!).

I would make these hashbrowns with onions, a little sausage or bacon (cooked first to remove some of the fat), then just a little cayenne (as a way to reduce the amount of sodium but impact favor), and sharp cheddar cheese.

I will admit that having to grate the potatoes is time consuming and boring. I just put on some nice 50s jazz when having to do mundane tasks like that.

Jake's pulled pork barbecue in a crock pot.

Take a pound of pork roast or loin and rub it down with salt. Then, simply place it in your favorite crock pot.

Take your favorite barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's orginal) and cover the top of the roast. Not too much. Just cover it.

Then, put in a 1/4 of a cup of water to create steam in the crock pot.

Let it simmer or cook on low for 6 to 8 hours and then either drain and then pull or do as I do and simply pull the pork from the crock pot and put it on your favorite bun with sauce and you're good to go.

Of course the size of the pork depends on the size of your family.

Jake in the Heartland

Next time we want to make those cheesy hash browns, I'll tell my sister about the nice guy willing to grate those potatoes for us. Please, give me your number so we can have you over the Saturday before Easter.

After the potatoes, please grate the cheddar, because you make it sound so easy. Then after that, we need you to dye a dozen eggs.

The ham will need to be prepped for baking the next day and you can start that too. The asparagus can wait until Easter afternoon, but you can squeeze and zest those lemons now for the Hollandaise sauce.

Man's place is in the kitchen. Don't forget to clean as you go.

h5. Tongue in cheek.