Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Family Recipes

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}Lark's tongue? Is that the one gently sucked through the brains, like Babbette's Feast.

>

It's been a long time since I saw *Babbette's Feast*. I don't remember that part. I was thinking of Lark's tongue, as used in Medieval recipes, or the King Crimson album, Lark's Tongue in Aspic.

• 4 weeks later...

Jake, this sounds so good, and so easy. I *love* pulled pork, especially with slaw and fries and, um, alcohol.

I admit, I never bought a crockpot. They were yellow and brown in the 1960s and 1970s, and those colors made me bilious. Since then, I've done things the hard way.

I've entertained the idea of a pressure cooker - too dangerous, I damage myself on the refrigerator door or trying to get a plug out of a socket with a letter opener - and a crockpot, but now don't know which one to buy.

Can you all recommend one? I think I'd like to groove to these recipes, it's never too late to become a hippie, is it? :)

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

{font:Times New Roman}Will: I waited for Jake to reply to you as the post is to him. Since he hasn’t and I have a crock pot I hope he’ll not be offended if I butt in. I went on-line and did some research too.{font}

{font:Times New Roman}Mine is a Hamilton-Beach who seems to make the most sizes and models. They go from 4 to 8 quarts and range from $20.00 to $50.00. Most have metal skins although some are red, white or brown with rooster trim. Rival also makes several under the name Crock-Pot; one model is in red. West Bend, Magic Chef and Kitchen Selector are others. All these can be found at Wal-Mart and you can check them out on-line. {font}

{font:Times New Roman}K-Mart has Rival and Kenmore models but a limited choice. You can check those out on-line as well.{font}

{font:Times New Roman}I wouldn’t go lower than a five-quart size and if you can find a bargain on one go to six. The actual cooking pot is ceramic and washable. Most have clear glass or vinyl lids and you can cook low or high depending on your time frame. The food comes out tender and well-seasoned. If you follow the directions they are safe. {font}

{font:Times New Roman}I hope this helps you out. {font}

Star, is spot on Will. I own the 5 quart Rival model. One other thing, since you are new to crock pot cooking, the fat content in the meat is important. On some meat, you might want to brown it before you put it in the crock pot.

You can make vegetable soup, beef stew and many other tasty meals and, as time goes on, you will experiment and come up with what works best for you.

I might, in time, divulge a family recipe for the BBQ sauce that you put in the crock pot and let it simmer with the meat for a couple of hours. Delicious.

That pulled crock pot recipe I gave you does work and is good. The key is the BBQ sauce you use to put on the pork in the bun. I use a local BBQ restaurant's home-made sauce. Very good.

Jake

I recommend the use of slow-cooker liners highly.

We make chili in the winter. We keep it in a slow-cooker so we can have some at any time of the day and we add sauce and spices and browned meat to compensate for what we remove. After several days there is a crust on the sides which nearly needs a chisel to remove.

There is also a crust when you remove some and do not empty the crock until later.

They are also handy when you make more than one meal's-worth. You can let the crock cool and then put it into the freezer. You can then remove the liner with the food inside. The next time you wish that meal it fits precisely and you can put the cooker on low heat and it thaws it and reheats with no fuss.

That's a great idea, Sansfin... I never heard of them before, but I did just read that spraying the inside of the cooker with spray oil helps with the sticking, and it did work the last time I tried it. A liner sounds like a better plan.

The best ribs I make start with a dry rub, are left to cook slowly, and then I add the sauce later on, after they have cooked for a while. The dry rub really infuses the meat with a lot of flavor, and then adding the sauce makes it more complex tasting.

The best "quicky" sauce is 2/3 cup Heinz 57 and 1/3 cup honey whisked together. I used to put 57 on that wonderful paprika seasoned broiled Spanish mackerel they served at Morrison's-may they rest in peace-and do it now on canned tuna. I tried the Jack Daniel's No. 7 sauce and liked it. Kraft stopped making their KC style sauce-my favorite-so now I go with Sav-a-Lot's version or their Sweet & Spicy. (In house brands can be just as good as the nationals; you just have to check them out and see.) Since barbecue tastes vary by region and the meat used it's good there are so many varieties around.

I can't cook outdoors here and have seen some on-the-stove smokers in the catalogues. Are they any good? I tried one idea where you brush a slab of ribs with liquid smoke and dry rub, cover pan and ribs with both plastic wrap then foil, add a little water and bake 3-4 hours at 300 degrees depending on the size of the slab. You can then add sauce and let them finish. They came out great but be sparing with the smoke.

I haven't yet found a bbq sauce I like as well as home made. I imagine there are some out there that are tasty that I haven't tried yet, and you are so right about name brands and store brands. Expensive doesn't always mean good. I haven't tried Heinz yet, I usually take ketchup or tomato paste, onion, cider vinegar or plain, liquid smoke, brown sugar, cumin, paprika, molasses, a little dry mustard, lemon juice if I have it and red pepper flakes or cayenne. Sometimes garlic, maybe a little worcestershire thrown in once in a while, but not too much. Even maple syrup. I make it to suit my taste, so I am always trying a little something new with it.

Liquid smoke is a wonderful thing, I remember my mom always had a bottle of it in the cupboard, and I use just a few drops now and then when I am making a picnic, shoulder or ribs. You just have to be careful not to overdo it.

Edited by: JackFavell on Mar 28, 2012 8:39 AM

I hope that no one is surprised that I do not have a recipe for barbecue sauce. :)

I do make a wonderful honey and onion sauce that is very good with beef.

Saute onions and garlic until soft. Add beef stock and simmer until only half of it remains. Add honey, mustard, cider vinegar and salt and pepper. Simmer until thick.

Yum!

It sounds like a better version of my great grandmother's recipe for smothered chicken or pot roast - apparently she could only make one thing - meat smothered in onions cooked down until the onions were a sweet goo. I guess if you're going to have only one recipe, that might as well be it.

Hi All . . .

This Saturday I'm going to try my hand in preparing Sushi. It appears relatively easy ... I hope.

It looks like all I'll need are the Seaweed Wrappers. I can prepare the white rice and slice up

some avocados, cucumbers, cream cheese and smoked salmon . . . and sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds

on it. I also have to remember to buy ginger, wasabi and soy sauce.

I don't have one of those bamboo rollers but I'm going to try using wax paper and see what happens.

Anyone ever prepare this ? We'll see how it goes.

Edited by: ugaarte on Apr 4, 2012 2:42 PM

:) I'm going to try a couple of orange juice and spices pork recipes this week-end. I'll roast one and crock the other. If they come out all right, I'll post the directions. Since the Henry Creme Eggs are a thing of the past and I can't find my white chocolate cross this year I'm using an egg mold, strawberry cake mix and cherry flavoring to make one of my own and coating it with white chocolate frosting. I discovered a wine shop nearby and decided to to try what he had and support a local business even if it's pricier than the grocery store. I can freeze whatever 's left of everything for other days-not the wine of course.

This doesn't happen that often I can wish you Jewish folks a Happy Passover and my fellow Christians a Happy Easter all at once. May the rest of you also have a great and safe week-end.

I wrote: I'm going to try a couple of orange juice and spices pork recipes this week-end. I'll roast one and crock the other. If they come out all right, I'll post the directions.

The oven roast won for flavor due to all those spices. The crocker won on tenderness; it will actually "fall off the bone" and I could barely get it from the crock to the platter. Here are both:

*Mandarin Pork Roast*

2 tsps. dried crushed rosemary

4 cloves minced garlic

1 tsp. pepper

1 5 pound bone-in pork loin roast

1 11-ounce can drained mandarin oranges

Glaze

1/2 cup orange marmalade

6 tbsps. orange juice concentrate

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 tbsps. honey

2 1/4 tsps. ground mustard

1 1/2 tsps. ground ginger

2 cloves minced garlic

Combine rosemary, garlic an pepper, rub over roast. Place roast, fat side up, on a rack in shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Combine glaze ingredients. Remove roast, arrange oranges over roast, brush with glaze and return to oven. Bake to 160-170 on meat thermometer brushing with glaze often. Rest 10 minutes, slice and serve.

*Crockpot Orange Pork Roast*

1 4 pound pork shoulder roast, trimmed

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1 6oz. can thawed orange juice concentrate

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

1/8 tsp. ground allspice

3 tbsps. flour mixed with 3 tbsps. water

Place roast in crockpot, season with salt & pepper. Combine juice with sugar and spices, pour over roast. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour then low for 8 hours. Remove meat to platter. If you want gravy pour juices into saucepan, whisk in flour/water mixture, bring to boil and cook until thick.

I used Boston butt on both. The oven roast had a built-in timer but even though none of it was pink, could have used more oven time after it popped up. After dinner I put what was left in the crocker with the juices-I didn't make gravy-and let it cook a few hours more on low which did the trick. I froze what was left of the other and am eating this one up the rest of the week. I think both recipes will work in the crocker which is how I'll do roasts in the future.

Edited by: wouldbestar on Apr 11, 2012 3:47 PM