Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Family Recipes

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}Oooh, I've been waiting for you to post these and the results of your taste test! Looks like I'll try the first's ingredients list and cook it in the crock.

Please check the receipe again. I left out the orange marmalade but it's listed now.

• 2 weeks later...

{font:}:D Further down the thread I mentioned possibly investing in a stovetop smoker as I can’t do it outside where I’m at. I did and made my first rack of ribs yesterday. I shared it with a couple of friends and we proved that *Alamo* guy wrong about “hog” not being good meat. I can now heartily recommend the Nordic Ware Kettle.{font}

{font:} {font}{font:}It comes with a thermometer, drip pan, instruction/recipe book and wood slivers which you can reorder in various woods from the maker on line. You need a range with an overhead exhaust and you use the large burner. If you’ve got an old-style range cover the area around the burner with foil to keep it from turning yellow under the smoker. {font}

{font:} {font}{font:}You can dry or steam smoke your food. The ribs cooked in 2 ½ hours, were moist, tender and had a nice smokey flavor from apple and hickory woods. I am going to try some chicken breasts next. {font}

{font:} {font}{font:}Nordic Ware sells it online for $99.00 and s/h charges. You can also use Stoneberry or Fingerhut for $79.00 and pay upfront rather than in installments. There’s still s/h but with the discount it’s like getting that free. It comes in brownish red and looks as good as it works.{font}

{font:} {font}{font:}The wood company makes a flatter one for less but I’ll stick with mine. It will definitely get used. {font}

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> Deleted, because it was too silly, even for me... :)

It is said that a good man knows his limits. ;)

I am now very curious what could possibly be so outlandish that you would consider it out of bounds ...

They are pysanky. They are made by a reverse process. You begin with a white egg and put wax on all the parts you wish to remain white. You then dye it yellow. You put wax on all the parts you wish to remain yellow. You continue in this way with darker colors.

There are excellent tutorials available on the Internet. There is a site dedicated to people wishing to learn:

http://www.learnpysanky.com/steps.html

A demonstration of the process is at:

I have never been able to do it well. It requires a truly steady hand and great patience. I have neither of those! :) I believe the supplies are not expensive. I know from watching my mother that it requires hours for even simple designs.

yaica.jpg

Whoaaa . . . I've just watched the Video you've posted, SansFin and also the Video Following . . .

I am @ a Loss for Words ! . . . That was SOoooo INCREDIBLY made ! . . . And SOooo Beautifully, too !

You would definately need a very steady hand . . . and lots of QUIET! I would, anyways.

Lots of Consentration, there. But anyways, what Artwork. I have to say it looks like it could be

quite 'therapeutic', too.

Thank you so much for sharing that. I won't look @ another Easter Egg like that without thinking

about the Magnificent Work that goes into each of those. 'AWESOME' !

It feels very odd watching strangers make them and it does not seem right that a man makes them. That he is a priest reduces the discomfort factor only a little.

A pysanka is meant to ward off evil in the house. Only the women of the house were to be in the room when they were being made. There were never any visitors nor men. Any interruption meant that the kindness, goodness and purity flowing into them was disrupted. You could not talk of other things as the eggs might hear it and curse you for being a gossip!

( . . . A pysanka is meant to ward off evil in the house. Only the women of the house were to be in the room when they were being made. There were never any visitors nor men. Any interruption meant that the kindness, goodness and purity flowing into them was disrupted. You could not talk of other things as the eggs might hear it and curse you for being a gossip! )

That is very interesting, SansFin.

And these Eggs are prepared around Easter Only? So it would sort of be 'understood' for a man (or a 'stranger') to definately know, NOT to visit any homes, @ these times, So as not to disrupt the delicate balance of preparing these Eggs.

> {quote:title=ugaarte wrote:}{quote}

> And these Eggs are prepared around Easter Only? So it would sort of be 'understood' for a man (or a 'stranger') to definately know, NOT to visit any homes, @ these times, So as not to disrupt the delicate balance of preparing these Eggs.

I know of them being prepared only the week before Easter. They were done late in the evening when one did not expect visitors. The men knew to not intrude for any reason. It was an in-or-out decision for me each night. If I was not to be there from beginning to end I could not be there are all.

I remember that I was disappointed when I was given a quail's egg to do. It was much smaller than the goose egg my mother was doing and the designs on a quail's egg are simple ones and do not have many colors. I was also disappointed that it was so much work and that I made many mistakes. I believe my fingers would have fallen off and I would have been driven crazy had I attempted a goose egg. :)

SansFin ~

(. . . I remember that I was disappointed when I was given a quail's egg to do. It was much smaller than the goose egg my mother was doing and the designs on a quail's egg are simple ones and do not have many colors. I was also disappointed that it was so much work and that I made many mistakes. I believe my fingers would have fallen off and I would have been driven crazy had I attempted a goose egg. :) )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WOW! . . . That must have been an Experience! . . . Have you attempted trying any others since then ?

And would you happen to have a Photo of the Quail Egg you finished. It would be interesting to see

all the work you put into it, considering now how they're prepared.

I, for one, am very Impressed by the Process and Rituals of Preparations . . .

Thank you Much, SansFin, for Sharing !

Edited by: ugaarte on May 5, 2012 6:59 AM

> {quote:title=ugaarte wrote:}{quote}SansFin ~

> Have you attempted trying any others since then ?

I believe I was five or six years old then.

I made two or three a year when I was in my teens. It is sad to say that they were always disasters because I could not spend the time on them that they truly required. Mother always chose the best side of the best one to face upwards in the basket when we took them to be blessed. All of my other ones were always in the bottom of the basket.

SansFin ~

(. . .Mother always chose the best side of the best one to face upwards in the basket when we took them to be blessed. All of my other ones were always in the bottom of the basket. . .. )

Just like a 'Mom' ! . . . And what a Wholesome Tradition of having the Baskets BLESSED ! . . . Regardless of some of the 'imperfect' EGGs, I know this is such a 'RICH' Cultural practice and Wonderful Memories, for you ... I know I've enjoyed it !

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

I am contemplating making borsch. I have avoided it for many years now because it is a commitment as once you start you should make it at least once in every two weeks or the brine will go funny. I am perhaps more settled now and my esso has proven he can make an acceptable version so perhaps we can keep it going.

It will take some experimentation for me to make it using English measurements and with products I can buy here.

Would any person here be interested in the recipe if I decide to do it? I should warn that it takes at least ten days the first time.

:) When I made my pork roasts at Easter I mixed, saved and froze the liquid from the crock pot and roasting pan. Today it made a great base for a pot of vegetable soup for a church dinner later on. I threw in a pound of ground beef and two cans of mixed veggies. It needed more liquid and was a bit flat so I added water, 2 bullion cubes and some hamburger seasoning. The flavors are blending now and it will all ready just from what I had on hand. I thought this might help you all out in a pinch as it did me.

P.S. The storms we're having right now cancelled the dinner but a couple of friends and I scarfed it all down after adding a tbsp of Kitchen Bouquet. It was delicious.

• 3 weeks later...

{font:Times New Roman}After my crises of this week-end passed I decided to cook for my friends and a couple of one’s relatives riding out the storm here. I decided on a pina colada cake and they all loved it. It’s not as complicated as it seems.{font}

{font:Times New Roman}Heat oven to 350. Spray a small sheet cake pan, 11-12x9x2, all over with Pam. Melt a stick of butter in saucepan and add 1 cup packed brown sugar. Stir until blended and spread on bottom of sheet pan. Place 12 slices of canned pineapple-save the juice-over the sugar, don’t worry if you have to crowd them, and place a Maraschino cherry in center of each. Cover with 1 cup shredded coconut.{font}

{font:Times New Roman}Mix 1 box pineapple cake mix, 1 box instant coconut pudding, 4 eggs, ½ cup any oil but olive or peanut and either 1 cup of the juice and 1 tbsp. rum extract or ½ cup juice and ½ cup rum. Beat for 2 minutes with mixer at medium speed and pour over fruit. It should bake up in 35 minutes. Wait ten minutes and flip onto a serving plate. You will get 12 good slices and raves from all. Mine is already gone. {font}

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone . . .

Well, it's good to see that I didn't have to 'dig deep' to find this Thread . . . it was Only on the 2nd Page.

I just wanted to share with you all that this past weekend, I prepared Stuffed Green Peppers. It had been Years since I had prepared them and it was with Help then . . .

But I had such a strong craving for Stuffed Peppers and just thought I'd use my 'instincts & common sense' & have a 'Go' at it. What could I lose ?

4 Large Green Peppers

3 lbs of Ground Beef (I sort of 'Eye Balled' it from a larger Amount)

1 cup of White Rice (Partially cooked)

2 Onions

6 Cloves of Garlic (we Love Garlic)

2 Eggs

3 handfuls of Oatmeal

1 lb of Mushrooms (finely chopped)

6 - 4oz cans of Tomato Sauce ( 3 cans into Mixture)

Salt & Pepper to taste

Sprinkled Oregano over the Mixture.

I mixed everything together in a Large Bowl, thoroughly. Of course, there was way too much mixture for just my 4 Peppers . . .

But I cut out the ribs of my Peppers. And into each Pepper, I poured about a Tablespoon of Tomato Sauce and about 1 Tablespoon of RED WINE . . . and then Stuffed each Pepper to the brim.

with Lots of mixture still left . . .

So in my Dutch Oven, I drizzled some tomato sauce on the bottom and placed the rest of the mixture on the bottom, spreading it out to the sides. I made 4 small, rounded, indentions on the top of the mixture & placed the Peppers in each indentions. I covered the Peppers & Meat Mixture with the Rest of the cans of Tomato Sauce . . . I placed the Tops back onto each Pepper. I poured a small amount of RED WINE all over the Peppers & Meat Mixture.

I covered the Dutch Oven & Placed it into a 375 degrees for close to an hour . . . until the Peppers were SOFT and Meat & Rice completely cooked.

Needless to say, my home smelled of Peppers, Wine and Garlic.

Everyone Enjoyed it ! . . . along with a Glass of RED WINE !

There was plenty of room in my Dutch Oven for 4 more Peppers.

And the Meat Mixture tasted like MeatLoaf . . . Yumm !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBItZII8xsMTQBNk-WTUk

Note:

I wasn't sure about the preparation of the Rice. I've heard that some place the Raw Rice in the Mixture and other Par cook it . . . I decided to partially cook mine. I place a cup of rice in a saucepan along with 1 cup of water ... and a pinch of salt. I cooked it for about 12 minutes or until the water evaporated.

That's an Interesting Recipe's of Carol Lombard, VP19 . . .

and found in a 1933 Magazine, yet . . . How Great is that ?

But is definately sounds 'Light' and Yummy ! MMmmmm !

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just Wanted to Enquire to All who see this Thread . . .

if there are any 'Low Carb' Recipes that you can share.

My son has started to Eat 'Low Carbs' to bring his sugar down

before a particular 'Operation' can be performed.

I've decided to 'JOIN' him in his 'Low Carb' Diet as I really

need to bring my Sugar down, as well . . .

in fact, my entire household could use a 'Complete Make Over'.

Some are in 'denial' and Refusing, but that's OK. They'll come around in 'due time'.

'SLOWLY, BUT SURELY', I always say.

So if anyome has any 'EASY AND DELICIOUS' Recipes that I might be able to 'try' out,

I, for one, woud truly Appreciate it.

Thank you . . . happy.gif

P.S.

This also includes any 'Low Carb' DESSERTS, too ......

if there is such a thing ! silly.gif

I don't have any low carb recipes, as such. I've tried changing some standard recipes to low carb by using almond flour and artificial sweetener. Results are mixed (no pun intended). The main problem is I'm one of those people for who Splenda is a powerful laxative.

I've seen people take a cup of Redi-Whip, add a teaspoon of cocoa and a packet of Splenda, and mix it up as a mousse. They say it's good. I haven't been tempted.

There's always Jell-O! :)

(I have test tubes in various sizes. I pour Jell-O into one and insert a smaller one. When it's set, I have a tube of Jell-O. I fill with them with various cremes, seriously reducing the calories while keeping the flavor. They're also a lot of fun!)