Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Family Recipes

Thanks, Capuchin, for your input . . .

That is So Cool what you do with the Jello and the Test Tubes ...

How Clever is that .... and FUN ! like you say ... to fill each one of the 'set' Jello with different creams.

There were 2 things that I can Recall, my son telling me, when he was on the Atkins diet several years ago . . .

That you can make a big bowl of Sugar-Free Jello and after it's set,

apply a Generous amount of Whipped Cream . . . which he says is like partaking of a 'Heavenly Parfait' . . . and NO CARBs ! He remembers almost feeling guilty for eating such a 'Rich Tasting' Dessert.

The 2nd was for a Quick 'Relief' of that Gnawing, hunger Pangs, was to have some 'PORK SKIN RINDs' and Diet Soda.

(I guess the 'Fat' in the Pork Skin, temporarily alleviates the hunger ... but he told me to go 'easy' on the Pork Rinds, because of their 'Fat and Salt' ingredients.

And I'm sorry to hear of that effect that Splenda has on you. Have you considered trying 'TRUVIA' or 'STEVIA' Natural Sweetner. They come from a leafy plant. I've been using Splenda, but I want to try my hand in this more Natural Sweetners.

And I'm also going to try my hand @ that Redi Whip, Cocoa & Splenda 'Mousse' Recipe . . . That sounds Awesome ! ... and Simple ! Not to mention, the answer to a 'Sweet Tooth' here.

Thanks for sharing, Capuchin . . .

Erythritol is supposed to be a great sugar substitute. The problem is finding it in the stores. You almost have to buy it online. I've had things made with it, and they're as okay as the baker's skill allowed.

You might think about making gummies. Using sugarfree Jell-O, they should be low carb.

Hey Capuchin . . .

I LOVE Gummy Bears ! . . .

Thanks for Youtube Video . . . My mouth was watering when he Tasted them . . . Yum !

And the Great Part was that it was Quick & Simple to Make, too !

Thanks for Sharing.

Edited by: ugaarte on Aug 30, 2012 5:17 AM

Ha! When I went shopping today, I decided to pick up some Jell-O (I haven't made gummies in a long time). They had a stack of molds to make Jell-O Jigglers. The recipe they give is just 2/3 cup of water and Jell-O (no extra gelatin), and it says to keep them refrigerated, so they're not true gummies.

I had to buy the mold, of course! It's Phineas and Ferb! And Candace, Doof, and Perry (as both mild-mannered platypus and as Agent P).

Hey . . . 'Phineas and Ferb' .... How COOL is that, Capuchin ?

I see there is SO Much FUN one can have with JELLO ..... I Just LOVE it !

NOT to mention, HOW Delicious & Mouth Watering the End Results are, too !

I'm going to have to look into Checking out some 'MOLDs', too !

It sounds tome that, that in itself Can be a lot of Fun, as well . . .

Thanks a lot, Capuchin . . . And Happy 'JIGGLING' !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRP32hXXlTVpF82oh1UHhximages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKBvuF6ZIU_zkPDaAWKypimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyLkHiul97UqpfBvBpiH5

More Lombard recipes...

Here's an appetizer she called "angels on horseback":

original.jpg

This comes from a booklet called "Foods And Fashions Of 1936." Find some other celeb recipes here:

http://carole-and-co.livejournal.com/526001.html

I ran these soup recipes last December, but here's how they were originally presented in a 1929 charity cookbook titled "Fashions In Foods In Beverly Hills":

s640x480

So there's appetizer...soup...now for the main course from Carole -- barbecued spareribs, taken from a 1939 book called "What Actors Eat -- When They Eat":

s640x480

Bon appetit!

s640x480

> {quote:title=EugeniaH wrote:}{quote}From "the profane angel" herself! :) (wasn't that Carole's nickname?)

Indeed it was.

Try some of these recipes in India (perhaps substituting curry for cayenne). ;)

• 2 months later...

I believe many here may be suffering from the loss of the iconic snack food. I have no recipes of my own for making Twinkies at home but I have found these:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5109722_make-twinkie.html

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10467-twinks

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/07/dining/homemade-twinkies-recipe.html?_r=0

Perhaps some person here can say which is the best and most true to the original.

> {quote:title=casablancalover2 wrote:}{quote}

> Have you tried Brownie Brittle yet? Absolutely wonderful..

I visited their website and it states they are available in stores local to me. I will look for them when I am next shopping.

> {quote:title=casablancalover2 wrote:}{quote}

> Any favorites for Thanksgiving that aren't run of the mill?

This is an American holiday and I do not have my legs for it yet. I putter around the edges only.

I will be making mushrooms which I like:

Melt two tablespoons of butter in a hot pan. Add one-fourth cup of chopped onions and begin to brown. Add two cups of sliced mushrooms and cook until they have good color.

Mix two tablespoons of flour with one cup of sour cream and then add to onions and mushrooms. Cook until it just boils.

Add two cloves of crushed garlic and one teaspoon each of sea salt and black pepper. Lower the heat and simmer for a few minutes.

When it has a nice texture then put on a lid and take it off of the heat. Let it sit at least five minutes. Stir in two tablespoons of chopped dill just before serving.

That sounds wonderful, SansFin. I may try that for Christmas.

I will be roasting/baking first a turkey tenderloin, then later a Tofurkey roll (one son's semi-vegetarian and the other more traditional like me.

We will also have the usual carrots, potatoes and gravy, maybe stuffing, candied sweet potatoes, buttered broccoli and dinner rolls.

Of course, pumpkin pie for dessert here.

*A happy Thanksgiving to all!*

I cooked dinner for 6 yesterday. Nobody seemed interested in pumpkin pie so I went for Dutch apple and have not a bit left. I also added apples and raisins to the usual stuffing of boxed cubes, onions, celery, mushrooms, chicken broth and sage sausage as this was something my family did. Not a yam fan I baked baby carrots in a brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg glaze. I have some leftover turkey but the rest is gone and I got rave reviews. Oh yes, I stuffed the turkey and we're all alive so if you take care to use simple hygiene preparing the meal it comes out all right.

• 6 months later...

Latvian Torte

Main:

10 eggs separated

1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar

1 cup confectioner's sugar

2 cups finely chopped walnuts

Filling:

3 sticks butter

1 cup confectioner's sugar

3 egg yolks

1 teaspoon instant coffee

1 teaspoon vanilla

Main:

Beat egg whites until frothy.

Add Cream of Tarter and beat.

Add 1/3 cup sugar and beat until whites stand in peak.

Beat egg yolks with remainder of sugar until light and color of lemons.

Fold with care into whites.

Fold in nuts.

Oil and flour nine inch round cake pan.

Line with parchment paper.

Add batter to 1/2 inch depth.

Bake at 300 degrees.

Begin checking after one half hour to see if it springs back gently when touched. Small variance in size of pan and other factors greatly changes time to bake to proper stage.

Makes four layers.

Cool.

Filling:

Cream butter with sugar.

Add egg yolks one at a time while beating.

Add coffee and vanilla.

Assemble:

Place layer on plate.

Coat with filling.

Add layer.

Coat.

Repeat twice.

Refrigerate until cold.

Decorate with whipped cream.

Tomato Granite

2 pounds peeled tomatoes

1/4 cup vodka.

1 tablespoon sugar.

1 tablespoon tomato paste.

1 teaspoon lemon juice.

1 teaspoon lime juice.

1/4 teaspoon salt.

Press tomatoes through sieve. Discard seeds.

Stir in all other ingredients gently.

Put in 13x9x2 metal pan.

Let stand until foam subsides.

Stir with fork gently.

Freeze one half hour.

Stir with fork gently.

Freeze three hours.

Scrape with fork to break up large crystals to serve.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me that recipes often seem to be pristine and sterile things more akin to chemical formulations done in a laboratory than being real-life things made in a kitchen and so I offer this recipe which I have just used and it is in the oven as I type this:

Meatloaf

Ingredients:

The amount of ground beef that is left in a two and one-half pound package after two hamburgers were made from it.

Three eggs because that is what was left in the carton.

What is left in the container of breadcrumbs after several cups were measured out of it for other recipes in the last month.

A package of dry onion soup mix because it was handy and it adds flavor and spice.

As much Worcestershire as could be dribbled out while counting to fifty.

A small handful of dried mushrooms to empty the container so it can be washed and dried before we dry more mushrooms later this week.

A can of tomato soup reserving a little for topping.

A can of diced tomatoes because they are at their expiry date.

Instructions:

Mix all together with hands.

Begin to put into loaf pan and realize there is more that the pan will hold and so get another loaf pan and divide the mixture between the two.

Smooth top with spatula and smear remaining tomato soup on the top.

Bake at 350F for one and one-half hours.

SansFin: Your delightful meatloaf recipe is probably how many of our ones cherished began. I slow cooked a uncured picnic ham this week for pulled pork and could not find a recipe for what to season the meat with when I put it in the crock. I finally went with 1/2 cup of vinegar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tbsps. dried minced onions, 2 tbsps. minced garlic, and 2 tbsps. brown

honey mustard. These were all blended and poured over the meat which then cooked overnight on slow. It took 11 hours because of the size of the ham but it came out tender and tasty Carolina style. I had some bottled Memphis-style sauce that was too sweet as well as some that claimed to be Carolina sauce but from what I've seen on TV cooking shows was really not and mixed each with half the meat. My party guests ate them so I guess it was okay but I'll buy neither brand again. How did yours turn out?

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}

> Your delightful meatloaf recipe is probably how many of our cherished began. I slow cooked a uncured picnic ham this week

I was reminded at this point of the man who asked his wife why she would cuts the ends off of all the roasts she prepared. She said that she did it that way because it was the way her mother had done it.

Soon after that she asked her mother why the ends had to be cut off of roasts before putting them in the over. The mother said she did not know why and that she did it because it was the way her mother had done it.

They were curious and visited the grandmother and they asked her why the ends had to be cut off of roasts. The grandmother's reply was: "I never had a pan long enough".

Your recipe sounds very good but I must admit I know nothing of barbecue sauces. :)

> How did yours turn out?

It was very good. I learned that I should have chopped the mushrooms into smaller pieces and perhaps added a handful of dried onions and perhaps some rice but we ate both of them that same night!

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}

> > Your delightful meatloaf recipe is probably how many of our cherished ones began. I slow cooked a uncured picnic ham this week

>

>

I was reminded at this point of the man who asked his wife why she would cuts the ends off of all the roasts she prepared. She said that she did it that way because it was the way her mother had done it.

Soon after that she asked her mother why the ends had to be cut off of roasts before putting them in the over. The mother said she did not know why and that she did it because it was the way her mother had done it.

They were curious and visited the grandmother and they asked her why the ends had to be cut off of roasts. The grandmother's reply was: "I never had a pan long enough".

Your recipe sounds very good but I must admit I know nothing of barbecue sauces. :)

How did yours turn out?

It was very good. I learned that I should have chopped the mushrooms into smaller pieces and perhaps added a handful of dried onions and perhaps some rice but we ate both of them that same night!

SansFin: Regarding Your meatloaf

I'm glad it came out so well. I tried to reply a few minutes ago and hit the wrong key which chopped up your post. I think I got it back to your original reply but if it looks different that's why.

• 5 months later...

:) You won't believe what happened to me yesterday. Last week a discount grocery had an add for a "ribeye roast" at 5.99 a pound. I'd never heard of this cut but know ribeye steaks are considered by many to be the best and sell at the regular chains for $8.99 or $9.99 a pound. I had a recipe for an equally expensive strip loin roast from a Publix brochure and decided to try it with this cut.

I found a nice piece the size called for and brought it home to put in the freezer until Tuesday night. Yesterday when I got ready to roast it I discovered it looked more like a prime rib; either it had been mislabeled to my adventage or this cut was fancier than I thought. It came out perfect and my two guests loved it. I still have some leftovers for Saturday.

This is what I did:

3 1/2 pound Rib or ribeye roast with bone

4 tbsps. garlic herb buter melted

2 large potatoes, cut in eights

4 large carrots, quartered

4 large celery stalks, quartered

2 small cans mushroom slices, drained

1/2 large onion, thinly sliced

2 teaspoons Montreal Steak seasoning

1 tbsp Soul Seasoning

2 envelopes brown gravy mix

Preheat oven to 475. coat the meat with 2 tbsps. of the butter and sprinkle with seasoning. Mix onion and mushrooms with rest of butter. Arrange around meat in roasting pan then arrange veggies around them and sprinkle with Soul Seasoning. Roast 10 minutes.

Reduce heat to 350 and roast 45 minutes. Remove from oven .

Mix gravy mix packets with two cups water and wisk to blend well. Pour over onion/mushroom mix and roast 30 minutes minutes to medium. Transferr to platter, let the meat rest 15 minutes and serve.

It was delicious. My friend's dog got a real Christmas treat that night with the bones.

The original recipe called for 3 ozs.shallots rather than oniond, 1/2 lb.quartered baby portobellos, 1 14 oz. can beef broth mixed with 1/3 cup flour and no stew veggies. I just used what I had on hand and thought a one pan meal on a platter would look nicer and be easier to clean up after. I was right on both counts. I added Shiraz wine and fruitcake,

Did I have a Merry Christmas? And how! Hope you all did too.