Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Family Recipes

rohanaka

Wash pots, huh. Well...I s'pose I can put the camera on the tripod and dig into the dishwater. Sure why not. Anything for "the show."

Cleavers, huh. How many fingers does Capuchin have left? Dinner time sure sounds rough around your house S.F.

Oh I'm a vodka rum drinker from waaaaay back. Grey Goose is my vodka, but since I'm looking to upgrade my tastes, I am certainly open to suggestions. If my bar has it...I'll try it tomorrow nite. Uhmmm...just as rehearsal before shooting your segment of the show.

Filmmaking is hard. < Hiccup! > But shombody's gotta do it.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Dinner time sure sounds rough around your house S.F.

I have always been very careful to not draw blood when it is not necessary. His blood is very salty and I would have to adjust the seasonings of all that it spattered upon. ;)

When we first met I wanted to look my best and I bought a new dress for a special night. It had a zip up the back and I had little experience with those kind and so could not close it. He zipped it for me and he cut his finger on the sharp edge of the tab. He made such a fuss over it I made a joke of licking the blood off and kissing the cut to make it all better. That is when I found he had been eating pistachios and his fingers were coated with a thin layer of salt. I said: "Yum, salty. I think I like it."

The movie we saw that night was *Father Goose* (1964). There is a scene in it where Cary Grant has sucked out the poison of a snakebite on Leslie Caron's leg. She later asks how her blood tasted and she is worried that he did not like it because it was salty. We were laughing so hard all the other people in the theatre must have believed we were insane.

Think of it as a way to take out all the frustrations from your day

Hey... I never thought of THAT!! Woo hoo.. something to look forward too.. I imagine I can put that therapy to good use for SURE. Thanks for all the tips.. I'll report back when I have completed my assingment.. ha. (Hey.. if it turns out.. do you think your kindergareten teacher will give me an A?? Ha.. I'll settle for getting an "E" for EFFORT.. wish me luck)

PS: SF.. love sour dough.. it is one of the box mixes I use most often in my bread machine.. Maybe will try that next... ha.. maybe.. perhaps..

Oh, me.. I am suddenly feeling very adventerous.. but I am such a big chicken.. will have to take it all one baby step at a time.. ha.

I think you need a TCM Cooking Show

OH me.. Miss Maven.. wouldn't that be something?? I can see it now.. We can have that TCM Family Cook-off, I mentioned and we can get our beloved Mr.O to be the judge..ha. :-)

But all kidding aside, I would be the LAST person I am sure that you would want to bring in for a show like that. ha. I am very much a "movie/cooking show" watch-ER.. but I doubt I would make an interesting enough "Watch-ee".

Besides.. ha. if you WERE to come out here.. (and you know, little darlin', you would truly be most welcome) but.. I'd SURELY have to cancel the maid's day OFF just to get my kitchen ready!! ha. (oh who am I kidding.. the way this house looks right now.. I'd have to cancel her day off for the next 2 years!! ) :D

(Note to self: "Cinemaven is coming.. gotta go hire me a maid.. and QUICK!") :D

QUEEN OF THE RANGE - Ro...you would make a great hostess. The show needs someone friendly, home-y, warm, welcoming... and knows movies. And...that's...you. (Bricks, rolling pins, hat pins, frozen ropes and sawdust notwithstanding). So don't put yourself down. Who needs Rachel Ray! We've got Ro-Ro!!

I'm thinking we shouldn't have a Cook-Off and be voting people out of the kitchen. All who cook are welcomed. All who eat are welcomed. (I'm in the latter group). It'll be a Win-Win-Calorie-Inducing situation. :D

And when we have that big ol' cook-out with some of the dishes described in your thread...folks can all leave with a full stomach, on the first-leg of the journey of the Ford World Tour.

You've got two years to clean up. (...And I don't do windows).

We've got Ro-Ro

OH, little missy.. I blush.. but thank you for saying all that. But alas, I KNOW me better than you do.. ha. (but thanks again, you gave me a smile) :-)

All who cook are welcomed. All who eat are welcomed. (I'm in the latter group). It'll be a Win-Win-Calorie-Inducing situation

Well now see.. that was my hope for this THREAD way back when I started it..ha. So even if we never have a REAL sit down.. at least we are able to have an online version of the old TCM family table.. so that makes it all worth while. (and PS: ha.. I am in BOTH groups as I have noticed some mighty interesting recipes posted on here by some of the folks that have stopped by.. I'd HAVE to take a taste of all of it.. if we ever REALLY got together.. Oh. .all except the WOODPECKER..(sorry SF.. I just can't GO there.. ha)

And when we have that big ol' cook-out with some of the dishes described in your thread...folks can all leave with a full stomach, on the first-leg of the journey of the Ford World Tour

Well I am up for that.. ha. I bet it would be a GRAND ole time.. ha Back yard BBQ at Rohanaka's house.. woo hoo.

OH, and along w/ the BBQ I will make my "signature" summer favorite.. it is not a grilled dish.. but still OH so good in the summer for a picnic or "outdoor" meal..

Here ya go...

*Ro's Caesar Chicken and Pasta Salad*

3 Cups pasta (any variety you like.. I use penne) cooked and well drained

2 Cups cooked boneless skinless chicken breast , chunked (this is a good recipe for using up leftover rotisserie chicken)

1 large bell pepper, chopped (red, green, yellow.. or mix it up)

1 half of a peeled and chopped cucumber,

1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)

4 small green onions (chopped)

1 1/2 C Ken's Steakhouse Lite Caesar Dressing (and PS: you could likely use any Caesar salad dressing you like, but I use "Ken's" because it is absolutely addictive.. and well.. by the end of summer I almost need a 12 step program to wean myself off of it.. ha)

Toss all ingredients together in a large salad bowl, and serve warm OR chilled, (but as a tip it always seems to taste better to ME when served chilled, especially when I prepare it a couple of hours earlier to allow time for the flavors to mix with the pasta a bit while chilling)

(Optional: top w/ 1/2 cup of your favorite shredded cheese just before

serving)

(Hey.. I just thought of this..ha.. if we ever DID get a tv deal... maybe we could get some sort of "sponsor" money by mentioning a brand name.. ha. Oh KEN... ) :D

You've got two years to clean up

HA!! If you ever did come.. It might TAKE me that long to get ready.. you only THOUGHT I was kidding! :D

And I don't do windows

Awww man..

Edited by: rohanaka on Dec 15, 2011 11:20 PM

I have been told that every such show has an outline and structure even although it does not have a script. I am calling dibs on the role of comic relief! When I am cooking it often looks as if it is a thing from a musical comedy with clouds of flour, peelings flying in all directions and I am singing along with my CD of The Kuban Cossack Choir. It will most likely be made more funny because I do not sing well.

*Duchess Potatoes*

To two cups of hot riced or roughly mashed potatoes add two tablespoons butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt and three egg yolks slightly beaten. Divide into serving portions. Place a one-half of a portion on an oven-proof plate in an even layer. Butter it with sour cream and generously sprinkle with fresh-ground pepper. Top with other half of portion. You may use a pastry bag to make the top portion into roses or leaves or lay it on with a spatula and then make ridges or patterns with a fork or knife-tip. Brush over with a mixture of one egg beaten with one teaspoon of water. Place into a hot oven until lightly brown.

I like this song while chopping potatoes:

I am finding myself at home today on an unplanned "day off" as alas.. the kidling is home from school with a nasty "bug". It was bound to happen.. there are several 'things" going around this time of year and sooner or later it was going to catch up w/ our house.. alas..

But despite the unhappiness of THAT issue.. I am glad for a chance to be home as it has given me a chance to get a jump start on my "week before Christmas" activities.. because for whatever reason.. I seem to always end up having to fit an entire month of preparation and planning into ONE week of actual "doing" ha.. Leave it to me to wait til the last minute.

But ONE of the things that is always the most fun for me is the baking/candy making marathon that goes on around here the last few days before Christmas (OH I hope the kidling is better by early next week for the BAKING frenzy.. she always likes to help, but I don't need a mini "typhoid Mary" on my hands.. HA. So if she is not better by then.. she will have to stay "banned" from my kitchen.. poor little thing.)

I usually have a whole lotta bakin' going on as along w/ all our family "treats" I also like to prepare a big tray for the QT to take to work (with all sorts of holiday cookies and candy, etc) and it takes me a couple of days to get it all together. (What can I say.. it is an annual "rohanaka" family tradition.. 18 years and counting.. since the first year we were married and he asked me if I would bake a little "something" to bring in for the guys at work) :-) And over the years.. it has now just become a part of the whole "holiday prep" tradition. I usually try to get to that sometime early in the last week so he can take that to work a few days before Christmas.

Another of our family traditions is to give some simple gifts to our extended family, neighbors and friends. We try focus on the "reason for the season" at our house and we try to make that the main theme for the holiday.. so we don't get too extravagant w/ all the gift giving and such.. but we DO like to give gifts to as many of our friends, relatives and neighbors as possible. So every year I try to come up w/ different ideas for all the various "categories" of folks around us: family, close friends, aquaintances, neighbors, etc. We can't give much.. but we do try to make sure that as many as possible get something.. just to wish them all a happy Christmas and say thank you for their friendship to us throughout the year.

For the neighbors it is usually a plate of homemade cookies.. a loaf of pumpkin bread.. some homemade Christmas candy.. maybe even a tray w/ a little everything all mixed together. (because, HEY.. I like to mix it up now and then.)

This year, I found a really nice price on some "old style" canning jars.. and we are going to make an OLD favorite that my mom used to make when I was a kid.. Russian Tea Mix. (don't know how RUSSIAN it is.. so I can't vouch for the authenticity of the name, ha) but my mom used to make this by the boatload when I was a kid..ha.. and it is PERFECT for a cold winter day when you need a little something to help warm you up. And if you put it in a nice jar.. and add a pretty ribbon w/ maybe even a lovely square of "homey" looking fabric w/ a pretty pattern on it (under the lid) it makes a sweet and simple gift.

There are several versions for Russian Tea that I have seen over the years (many of them use Lemonade mix along w/ the other ingredients, but my mom's recipe does not) Here is her version of the Russian Tea recipe:

Mom's Russian Tea

1 (1 lb. 2 oz.) jar Tang

1/2 tsp. ground cloves

1 tbsp. cinnamon

3/4 c. instant tea

1 1/4 c. sugar

Mix all ingredients together and keep in tightly sealed container. Use 1 tbs of Russian tea mix per cup of hot water.

I went googling around and found several websites each w/ their own "spin" on this idea.. so take a look if you want more ideas on the recipe.. OR the whole "gift in a jar" idea.

(this one has a nice picture of what the tea mix looks like in the jar) http://apeacefuldwelling.blogspot.com/2011/01/southern-spiced-tea-mix.html

(this one has a lot of other "in a jar" recipe ideas.. I am liking the "M&M one.. I bet the colors of the candy really stand out in the flour and other ingredients)

http://www.momof9splace.com/giftsinajar.html

This one is for a dry soup mix.. I have done this sort of recipe in a jar before too.. and it is a good one for "non-cooks" who still like to have a little "homemade" flavor once in a while.

http://noblepig.com/2008/12/17/last-minute-gift-idea.aspx

Hope you all enjoy some of these ideas..

Meanwhile... I am off to see what sort of shopping list I need to make to get my "ducks in a row" for my big cooking/baking/gift making extravaganza. (Despite the unhappy reason, I am glad for the extra day to get my plans all laid out.. Silly me for waiting so late to get started.. but hey.. it's what I do.) :D

Tis the SEASON!!!! :D

Your Russian Tea recipe sounds like the one my grandmother made. It's really good.

Unfortunately, there is very little baking going on at my house. The closest thing we have to a decoration is the stack of Christmas DVDs that have yet to be watched. The only baking done was a very good batch of chocolate muffins and a slightly off base batch of cookies.

There have been many things not related to Christmas going on at the house. Many of them of the annoying variety. Christmas Tree? I don't know.

Edited by: movieman1957 on Dec 16, 2011 11:42 AM

OH no.. Mr. Movieman. this will never do!!! We have to get you in the Spirit, my friend.. Christmas should be anything but annoying..

Here.. I'll let Judy say it for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g4lY8Y3eoo

And if THAT doesn't help, my brother.. here is a little something extra. Be ye glad, my friend.. because, did I mention... "Tis the SEASON??" :-)

(PS: to all others reading this.. be advised that clicking on the link below will expose you to a song that clearly celebrates the REASON for the season.. so click away at your own discretion.. )

Movieman.. this one's for you, sir:

Oh, and PS: did you say Chocolate Muffins????????? Give over, youngun. Afterall.. this IS a recipe thread you know.... :-)

Judy is always a lovely selection. The "For Unto Us" is very well done and is a very nice arrangement. Thank you so much.

Christmas isn't annoying it is all the other stuff going on that is getting in the way. Darn it.

I'll check with The Bride and see what I can do about the recipe.

You're the best.

"Fear not, for behold I bring you good tidings of great joy."

Judy is always a lovely selection. The "For Unto Us" is very well done and is a very nice arrangement. Thank you so much

You are welcome.. I thought you might like it. I love those guys. Got to see them in concert w/ the QT about 12 or so years ago.. and always enjoy their songs.. that one is a personal favorite.

Christmas isn't annoying it is all the other stuff going on that is getting in the way. Darn it

Well hang in there.. will hope for a better time of it for you SOON!!

You're the best

No.. YOU are, my friend. :-)

I'll check with The Bride and see what I can do about the recipe

Woo HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Can never have too many "chocolate" recipes.

PS: Miss Maven.. love the Charlie Brown song.. love the whole Charlie Brown Christmas Special altogether. (always a favorite around here)

Another big favorite.. (probably my most fave) for a "classic" Christmas special is of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S3KM92s-pg&feature=related

OH, how I DO love a good repentance story...

Meanwhile.. what in the wide, wide world of sports IS a "Roast Beast".. and how in heaven's name do you COOK it??? HA. (inquiring minds wanna know) :-)

Edited by: rohanaka on Dec 16, 2011 1:11 PM

December 19th is St. Nicholas Day. Good boys and girls find coins, candy, and small toys in their shoes when they wake up. Later they go to meet St. Nicholas who is dressed as an Orthodox Bishop. He tells them stories about sharing with others and caring for the needy. He often gives them a present. The present I will never forget is a ham which was so large I could only barely carry it. I was so happy I had an important thing I could share with my family and I was so very proud when father many times said my ham was delicious at supper that night.

The helpers of St. Nicholas collect from the children small gifts for those children who are less fortunate. The years we could go to our grandfather's farm we went on sleigh rides over the hills. If it was a good year and I was getting many presents then his helpers would deliver them to our home while I was visiting St. Nicholas.

This was an important day for us and it was not only because of the presents and cookies. St. Nicholas is the patron saint of sailors, fishermen and others whose lives are tied to the sea. We were a great port city. There were many types of celebrations which were both wonderful and pious.

These are some of the treats of the day. I hope you do not mind that I found recipes on the Internet which are similar to my recipes and I did a copy-and-paste rather than typing in mine.

*Sugar Cookies*

These are often made into the shape of a bishop.

2 cups sugar

1 cup butter

2 egg yolks

1 whole egg

1 cup sour cream

1 ? teaspoons baking soda

? teaspoon salt

? teaspoon nutmeg or vanilla

Mini chocolate chips for eyes, if desired

3 to 4+ cups flour (or more to make rolling consistency)

Cream sugar and shortening. Add beaten egg, egg yolks, and cream. Add sifted dry ingredients using only enough flour so dough can be easily handled. Roll and cut into desired shapes; sprinkle with sugar (or leave plain to decorate with frosting) and bake at 350? F for about 10 minutes or until golden.

We used pieces of minced berries for eyes and other decoration rather than chocolate chips.

*Saint Nicholas Purse Cookies*

1 stick butter (8 tablespoons)

? cup packed brown sugar

? cup granulated sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 ? cups all-purpose flour

? cup corn starch

? teaspoon baking soda

? teaspoon salt

24 Hershey chocolate covered truffle Kisses

about 2 teaspoons powdered sugar (optional)

? cup mini chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350?.

In large mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar together on low until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix for 1 minute on low speed. Sift the flour, corn starch, baking soda and salt into the butter mixture. Mix on low speed for about 3 minutes. The mixture will look crumbly at first and then suddenly it will begin to blend together. When the dough forms into a ball it is ready. Lightly roll about a tablespoon of dough into a ball, press a kiss into the ball and mold the dough up to shape a cookie that looks like a cinched bag (they settle during baking). Place the dough on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes in a 350? oven until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let sit on pan for one minute before placing on a cookie rack to cool. When cookies are cool, dust with powdered sugar.

We did not have Kisses. We used berries or chunks of chocolate.

*St. Nicholas Cake*

? cup shortening

1 cup butter

3 cups granulated sugar

5 large eggs

3 cups flour

2 tablespoons Vanilla Butternut extract

? teaspoon salt

5 oz. evaporated milk + water to equal 1 cup

1 cup maraschino cherries

1 cup chopped walnuts

Grease and flour bundt pan. Blend shortening, butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and extract. Beat well. Add flour and salt, alternately with the milk/water mixture. Mix well. Fold in cherries and nuts. Pour in pan. Place in cold oven. Turn oven on to 325?. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.

Edited by: SansFin on Dec 16, 2011 8:50 PM

Please do not confuse St. Nicholas with Father Frost. Father Frost comes on New Year's Day. He wears a red coat with white fur trim and gold embroidery. Snow Maiden is his granddaughter. She wears blue with silver embroidery and a wide and tall hat. She helps him hand out presents. It is one present per person. It is the most important or most costly present of the season. For me it was very often a book.

A very innocent and precious animation which incorporates the customs of Father Frost can be seen at:

Please do not be dissuaded by the annoying and poorly-drawn introduction. It lasts only twenty-seven seconds. The title of the series is Masha and the Bear The name Masha can mean either 'charmingly precocious' or 'willful brat' depending on who says it and what circumstances it is said. I believe it is not necessary to understand the language as there is little said and I believe it is obvious what is being said.

On Christmas Eve which is January 6 the angels may leave a present for a child while the family is eating supper. This is most often the most beautiful gift of the season. Mine were often tunics heavy with embroidery. I felt they were very special as the angels had done the embroidery in much the same way as my mother did.

This is a recipe that came from my mother's family in the Carolina Highlands. It's a simple and rich side dish that was always served with a roasted tenderloin. These days, I tend to use less butter and sometimes I'll add grated garlic and/or chopped parsley.

1 cup white rice

1 stick of butter (or 1/2 stick)

1 can of consomme

1 bullion cube

1 medium sized onion, diced

Put the rice in a medium-sized, oven safe casserole dish. Cut the butter into cubes and place on top of the rice. Add the diced onion and consomme. Put the bullion cube in the empty consomme can and fill the can with boiling water: let it stand for five minutes, stir and add to the casserole. Bake at 325 for one hour. Delicious reheated the next day, too!

Happy Holidays All,

Michael/TCMWebAdmin

Michael -

That is an excellent simple rice pilaf. Many people make the mistake of cooking it on top of the stove. It benefits greatly from the slow cooking in the oven so the flavors mingle and enhance one another.

I often use the butter to fry the onions until they are soft before adding to the dish. I will also add mushrooms or peppers or both. A little garlic is also nice. Finely chopped green onions are very different from bulb onions and they give it a lighter yet spicier taste. Diced tomatoes are also a nice addition.

I will sometime brown the onions in the butter and then crumble in ground lamb. After it is cooked I will add spring onions and a touch of curry powder.

When I am not following a specific recipe I have been known to saute so many things for it that the rice becomes a minor part! :)

I like also to toast the rice with the sauteed onions. It gives a slightly nutty taste. It is a vast difference if you saute the rice until it is just translucent or if you brown it lightly.

Someone who shall remain nameless except to say that it is Capuchin likes to make what he calls: "slop". He sautes onions and garlic in a dutch oven then adds crumbled ground beef. When it is done he adds diced tomatoes. When they take a little color he pours in the rice. When it is toasted.he adds a can of crushed tomatoes and a half of a cup of catsup. He takes what he drained from the tomatoes and adds beef stock so there are two cups of liquid for each cup of rice and adds it to the pot. He then puts it into the over for an hour. I can not say what spices and herbs he adds because it is always different depending on his mood. Cumin and rosemary and flakes of red pepper are the only things he always uses even although they are never in the same proportions. I think he calls it "slop" because of the way he eats it. He does not use a fork or spoon. He toasts thinly sliced bread and he uses it to scoop it up. It is not neat! :). It does taste delicious.

I have a rice dish I make in autumn, I made it up myself (the only recipe I have ever created myself) but I am sure other people have probably come up with this combination before - it's so good!

Stuffed Acorn Squash

It's terribly simple. I take an acorn squash and halve it. You can pierce the skin all over and stick it in the microwave, seeds and all, and it cooks much faster. But I prefer to halve it and take the seeds out before hand. It's harder work, but to me, the flavor is better cooked without the seeds inside. It's also a bit of a trick to hold onto a hot squash to cut open and scoop out the seeds once it's all soft.

You could also start a bit earlier and put the squash in the oven, the halves upside down in a pie plate or wide flat casserole dish, in about an inch or two of water. Or you could roast it. I am not that patient anymore, since I usually end up thinking of this recipe at the last minute.

While it's cooking, I open a box of Near East Rice Pilaf with Almonds, and follow the directions. It takes twenty or so minutes, and all you need is a little pat of butter, and some water.

While the squash and rice are cooking, I cook up some breakfast sausage in a pan, the kind that comes in a roll, and break it up into tiny bits. I prefer them to large chunks, but to each their own.

Oh, and I like to taste the acorn squash after it's cooked. Try to get the darkest green squash you can, preferably with no orange spots on it. It should be pretty sweet on it's own. If you have an older squash, they can be pretty flavorless, in which case I add a little butter and sugar on top and mash the squash inside the outer shell. I usually mash the squash anyway, it makes it easier to get it out, and it mixes well with the rice filling that way.

When everything is cooked, I combine the rice and sausage, and fill the acorn squash with it, mounding the rice mixture up inside. Some usually falls on the plate around it but that's ok, I'm a messy cook and these things don't matter to me. It makes a delicious fall meal.

Edited by: JackFavell on Dec 17, 2011 9:46 AM

Jackie.. I LOVE this.. Thanks for the recipe. I like "savory" mixed with a taste of sweet and I bet the squash pairs up nicely w/ the sausage and rice.

(and PS: Your rice filling is similar to one that I make for stuffed peppers only I just use cooked white rice instead of the packaged mix and add some garlic and onion and seasonings)

I have never tried anything w/ squash (though I love to eat them.. a friend of mine makes a delish soup) I don't know why I never have tried to cook w/ them but most likely because I never felt confident on how to pick a good one.. (and again.. ha.. shades of my childhood.. my mom just never cooked with them so I sort of shied away from too, silly me. ha) But I will follow your tip and give this a try sometime.

Thanks again.

Oh, Ro, it's so yummy! I just take the softened squash halves out of the microwave, mush the yellow squash right in the skin with a little butter and sugar, then fill em up with the rice and sausage. It's one of my favorite taste treats. I love that savory and sweet combo too. :D

My microwave is pretty small, so it takes at least 15 minutes or so to cook the squash. I check it periodically, just feel the outside of the squash to see if the skin has gotten soft yet, then take them out when the halves are good and soft.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}My take on "roast beast" is anything you can't get in the grocery store. As far as cooking it goes it would probably be slowly and in the yard. Of course if you cut it up and bring it in than follow like it was a steak.

Reminds me of a story a close friend told years ago, of showing up a little late to his family's Christmas dinner at Grandma's, out in the farm country of central Michigan. Everyone was just sitting down to dinner, when he walked in. He asked, "Grandma, what's for dinner?" She replied "moose and squirrel." He said. "Oh, Rocky and Bullwinkle!" None of the little kids would eat dinner, after he said that. :D

Archived