Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Illegal (1955) with Edward G Robinson

This Saturday night 10 pm est is the Edward G Robinson drama *Illegal* , its one of his last films where he is the lead actor and its a good one. Robinson is in his sixties at this time, he will continue working as a supporting actor for the rest of his career. . Eddie G. gives his usual great performance (when did he ever give a bad performance?). The story line of *Illegal* makes me think of one of his early films, *Five Star Final*; in both movies Eddie gets a little carried away at his job and the result is some unintended consequences and he has to deal with the guilt of his actions. *Illegal* also stars Nina Foch in a rare starring role for her, this is part of a tribute night to this fine actress. Also you will see a young Jayne Mansfield in one of her first films. And at the film's beginning you will see a very familar face for just a minute or so, I won't tell who it is but everyone knows it. *Illegal* classifies as a film noir because of its dark storyline and the man who is trapped by some circumstances beyond his control, can he get out of it or is he doomed?

Edited by: mrroberts on Oct 18, 2011 11:47 AM

I watched *Illegal* last night (I also have the DVD) and upon further thought I would agree that it is a sign of the movies moving away from those qualities that we associate with film noir. I think the storyline and characters definitely fit the "noir" category but the movie doesn't have that gritty noir feel. Hard to put into words, I think the production is a little too slick. If an Anthony Mann or Nicholas Ray had done it, maybe it would be more dark and raw. The dialogue needed more work too. Eddie G had way better lines to speak in *Double Indemnity* right? The ending was a little lame too. Eddie gets shot, apparently seriously too. But he manages to make it to the court and give his little speech before collapsing. Now he's laying there , he should be dying but everything is so upbeat and everyone is smiling like all is now right in the world. In a true noir he would have died and maybe there would be some unresolved issues. At the being of this thread I mentioned *Five Star Final* , now that (even for 1931) was much more a noir movie.