Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1970's Horrors/Thrillers

Has TCM ever shown either films or tv movies from this era? I'm particularly interested in Karen Black's films: TRILOGY OF TERROR, DARK SECRETS OF HARVEST HOME & BURNT OFFERINGS; the original SATAN'S SCHOOL FOR GIRLS & HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS.

There are so many movies from this era that are never shown on tv anymore and are very difficult to get ones hands on so I just thought I'd ask if TCM ever shows films from the '70's.

IIRC,Burnt Offerings has been shown 2x on TCM,but not recently.It would have been a couple of years ago. I had forgotten all about "Dark Secrets of Harvest Home" until you mentioned it,that was a real good tv movie and id'e like to have a copy of it myself. I looked for it at Movies Unlimited,they didn't have it,so i looked on Amazon and found 1 dvd copy for sale for $20.99 but it is an import so it may be in the PAL format.

I don't think iv'e ever seen any of the other movies you mentioned being shown on TCM,but i could be wrong.

You're right on about how soooo many movies(of all genre's)are not being shown on tv anymore,and haven't been for many years.Also not available on DVD either. JR

I googled DSoHH and found a seller for the movie, it's blujay.com. They sell used DVD copies of the full uncut(3:54:40)version for $13.00+$2.00 shipping. The price is ok.i just hope the seller is,cuz i ordered one copy and paid w/paypal. They also sell a $9.99 version of the movie,but it's probably the cut(2:00hr.)version. JR.

TCM is for unedited, commercial free, *theatrical released* movies.

The cost of making theatrical movies is paid for by tickets and recently by the sale of the video release of them which adds to the profits. TCM shows many movies in the original Letterbox (widescreen) format, we most of the time don't even see on the HBO, Starz, channels.

Made for television (mostly the networks) movies are paid for by the commercial advertising and they have specific time slots for the addition of commercials. There are other channels better suited for them.

Made for video are lesser quality movies design to go straight to VHS/DVD/Blu-ray formats and the sales pay for the production. These movies generally are far inferior to the main Hollywood theatrical films. There are some good ones but they are few and very far in between!

Some of the worst made for televison movies are found on the Sy-Fi channels.

By the way "The Day After Tomorrow" (2004) is the theatrical movie about the BS global warming causing the Earth going into another Ice Age. Thank you Trey Parker for slamming that one in your South Park episode "Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow" :^0

You are thinking about "The Day After" (1983) starring Jason Robards - a thriller about nuclear war and the aftermath.

Edited by: hamradio on Oct 22, 2011 8:17 PM

There are several others not shown in decades, "McMillan & Wife", "Banacek", "Hawaiian Eye", "Columbo".

I think you unknownly gave a very good :) idea that a special channel should be created to show them. But, TCM showing Columbo?? That will go over like a lead balloon, LOL!

TVLand is for the old sitcoms i.e. "All in the Family" but it needs a sister channel to show those you listed.

The million dollar question is, how many people would be interested in them.

Edited by: hamradio on Oct 22, 2011 9:02 PM

Some one correct me if i'm wrong but,i 'think' i remember seeing "The Scarface Mob" on TCM a few years ago.The Scarface Mob was the pilot movie for "The Untouchables", a made for tv movie. So if memory serves,then TCM has and will show "made for tv movies" sometimes. JR.

TCM has shown a few made-for-TV movies. I seem to recall that a few years ago, they showed several *The Man From Uncle* TV movies. I always look up aspect ratios of films made after 1953, and sometimes I have found that the movie was made for TV.

There is one made-for-TV movie I would really like to see again. It is the 1988 film noir ghost story *Gotham*, starring Tommy Lee Jones and Virginia Madsen. I'd be happy if TCM showed it!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095246/

I probually own one of the oldest made for TV *feature length* movies.

Its "Dragnet" (1954). It stars Jack Webb, Ben Alexander, Richard Boone, and Ann Robinson. The running time is 1 hour 28 mins / Not Rated.

The plot involves a mysterious gangland slaying and the LAPD enlist a daring police woman to trap the mobsters and bring them to justice. One thing that stands out was Joe Friday and Frank Smith not just tailing one of the suspects but *harassing* him. Since this movie was made, civil rights laws have been passed and the police can no longer do this.

I bought this VHS video about 10 years ago. It was released to video in 1982 by MCA Universal.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046931/

Yes, this movie will be PERFECT for TCM! :)

Edited by: hamradio on Oct 24, 2011 12:37 PM

Actually, the 1954 DRAGNET was made for theatrical release through Warner Bros. to capitalize on the popularity of the TV series. It was a huge hit in theatres. For years, it was very hard to see, but I caught up with it again via Netflix Streaming. Sure, it's dated (aren't we all), but it still packs a punch with some big-screen violence that was novel for its time.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

>One thing that stands out was Joe Friday and Frank Smith not just tailing one of the suspects but *harassing* him. Since this movie was made, civil rights laws have been passed and *the police can no longer do this.*

>

You should read the papers more. Sadly, it ain't necessarily so...

But, I would like to see the film. Dragnet's second incarnation was campy/funny, but the original could be a taut crime drama, even noirish.

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}Why are tv movies off limits on TCM, BillyBrown? Have they stated that as policy? If so, it's rather disappointing. 'Duel', 'Tribes', 'Brian's Song', 'The Day After Tomorrow', 'Black Noon', 'Gargoyles', 'Shootout in a One Dog Town', 'The Night Stalker', 'Pray for the Wildcats'. There are dozens (at least) of decent movies we'll miss.

There's already been discussion about tv movies in another thread somewhere, but if the policy is strictly THEATRICALLY release movies, there are many tv movies that HAVE gotten theatrical releases either in the U.S. or overseas....and *DUEL* is one of those films (and the theatrical version was a longer version that what was broadcast on U.S. tv, and it also got a home video release). The mini-series *SHOGUN* was released theatrically as an edited-down 124 min. theatrical version, as was the two-part tv movie of *SALEM'S LOT (1979)*, and the tv movie *BATTLESTAR GALACTICA* also got a edited-down theatrical release with a different ending.

Well, theatrically released or not(and btw kriegerg69, good point about many a U.S. broadcast made-for-TV movie being theatrically released internationally) there are three of these which immediately spring to my mind as being absolutely excellent, though admitted it's been years since I've seen them because the only I have was back when they were broadcast for the first time....

*The Execution of Private Slovik*

*QB VII*

*Special Bulletin*

Has TCM ever shown Halloween with Jamie Curtis? I watched it on a commercial station tonight and the darn commercials drove me crazy. I ended up changing the channel....I would love to see the movie without any interruptions.

I don't remember ever seen "Halloween" (1978) on TCM, some other members might know. Your post told me how lucky I got on this one. A few years back, I recorded the uncut, unedited, theatrical version of "Halloween" on the IFC channel just *before* they started showing commercials.

It is in the original 2.35 : 1 widescreen format and I set my Toshiba HD to <TheatreWide 1> for the best viewing. This was my last recording from IFC before they started introducing commercials - by which is the worst mistake they ever made. :(

That was the first time I've seen "Halloween" presented like this since its 1978 release. The only tiny drawback is the IFC watermark on the bottom right corner but its a very small price to pay. It is within the bottom black bar area, I could set it to to eliminate the logo but will lose some of the sides.

happy-halloween.jpg

AFAIK, Halloween has never been shown on TCM,but it should be,cuz Halloween and Halloween 2 have already become "classics" of the horror genre. But there could be copyright issues that TCM may not be able to overcome,and Halloween sure would be a welcome change to the usual Val Lewton,William Castle and Hammer film crap that seems to be shown ad nauseum.Oh well,maybe someday. JR.