Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cary Grant on Acid...1959 was Trippy!

Ascotrudgeracer

Next time you see "Operation Petticoat" (1959) see if you can detect the great actor under the influence of LSD; apparently by all accounts he was using during production and never denied it. He seems very calm and introspective.

Also in '59, Vincent Price injects the drug in "The Tingler."

Do people still take that stuff? Haven't heard anything about the mind-expander in years.

From "The Trip," published by the L.A. Weekly, July 1, 1998 :

*"One morning in April 1962, Cary Grant swallowed four tiny blue pills of lysergic acid diethylamide — LSD. Incredibly, it was the 58-year-old actor’s 72nd acid trip under the supervision of a psychiatrist ... "*

The rest of this amazing story is here:

http://www.laweekly.com/1998-07-09/news/the-trip/

"Do people still take that stuff. I haven't heard about that the mind expander in years."

I'm pretty sure people still do. I took it in 1984 at age 16, big mistake.

I'm wondering what ever happened to Qualudes? Is vallium still around?

As a teen my friend had a copy of the Physicians Desk Reference. Lets just say that he did not

become a pharmacist, (last I heard he was an artist in Philadelphia.)

I hung around with some friends in a band a awhile back & was surprised to see the majority of their following, spoiled kids approx 20-30 y/o routinely took acid. Pills seem to be very popular with the younger crowd and they don't seem to have any fear of it like we did as kids in the 60's-70's. I saw a lot of kids sleeping through parties & shows.

MrTiki is in law enforcement and he says injectable drugs once only used by inner city bums is now filtering it's way into mainstream suburbia.

thumbnail.aspx?q=1343131951856&id=90f1f6

Of course people still take that stuff, i graduated HS in 2000 and acid was my drug of choice throughout. Most people I know that do any drugs are pretty much a garbage disposal, whatever you got, they'll ingest. But now that we're all pushin 30, we tend to go organic now, pot and shrooms instead of crazy chemicals :)

Im gonna have to pay attention next time i see that film now, ha!

Its always been the well off suburban population and their money that has driven the drug trafficing. If they weren't spending the money on this stuff, there would be no big money market for it. And the rich get to go to drug rehabs while the poor just get tossed into prison.

Edited by: mrroberts on Oct 23, 2011 3:54 PM

Lysergic acid diethylamide.was accidently discovered by Alfred Hofmann. What a colorful history on this drug!

This is straight from Wikipedia..

*From the late 1940s through the mid-1970s, extensive research and testing was conducted on LSD. During a 15-year period beginning in 1950, research on LSD and other hallucinogens generated over 1000 scientific papers, several dozen books, and 6 international conferences, and LSD was prescribed as treatment to over 40,000 patients. Film star Cary Grant was one of many men during the '50s and '60s who were given LSD in concert with psychotherapy. Many psychiatrists began taking the drug recreationally and sharing it with friends. Dr. Leary's experiments (see Timothy Leary below) spread LSD usage to a much wider segment of the general populace.*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_LSD

Just remembered in "Susannah of the Mounties", Shirley Temple got high after smoking a peace pipe (we know what they smoke). I wish that scene showed Randolph Scott with eagle wings while she was hallucinating.:^0

smiley-acid-face-o.png

Edited by: hamradio on Oct 23, 2011 6:25 PM

I like it that Hofmann got off while riding his bicycle home... :D

What was Shirley smoking? Well, a mixture of the bark of the red willow, and bear berry leaves was a common mix of kinnikinnick, especially in the west.

I wonder what Harpo was smoking in that hookah in *The Big Store* ? ;)

That was some interesting 'read' on LSD, Hamradio.

During the 60's, some of my 'friends' were 'dropping'

acid and tried to get me to try it ... but I was too much

of a 'coward' to do so. Luckily, they never forced it

on me and looking back, I'm lucky that nothing was

ever 'dropped' into my drink ... (if that could be done).

Though I was afraid to try it, I was always curious

to hear about their experiences. One guy told me that

he sat, looking at the wall in front of him, and would

see an alarm clock come out of one end of the wall,

travel half way around and go back into the other end

of the wall.

And another guy told me that while he was lying in

bed, he wanted to get up, but felt as though his body

had 'liquefied' and just his head was still whole, but

unable to get his body to 'solidiby'. That, right there,

was the clincher for me, to STAY away from this stuff.

I NEVER liked the idea of NOT being able to have any

control over my own body. I would have 'freaked' out !!

I guess that's what they would've called, 'a bad acid trip' .... :0

This thread gave me a flashback. Remember *Blue Boy* in the "Dragnet 1967 - The LSD Story"? It was the first *color* episode (how fitting) of the TV series "Dragnet".

At the time it was shot, LSD was still legal and Carver aka Blue Boy, lol, was only charged with public intoxication.

3367.jpg

Thanks for providing some useful info with regards to 'structured' LSD usage. It appears 99% here (and in the general population), have little understanding about structured LSD usage.

LSD wasn't a drug used to 'have fun' but to change one's perception. This structrured usage is very similar to how Indians used peyote.

Setting up a very controled environment was key to a successful session. Since I was a pysch major in college back in the early 80s I used it under a very controled manner for very specific purposes. One should only do this a few (< 10 or so), times because after this the positive impact is minimal. But if used correctly LSD can raise IQ by 20% or so and help one deal with issues (e.g. I was molested as a child), very quickly instead of theapy secession over many, many years if not a lifetime. I hightly recommend the vast majority of people do NOT use the drug. It is too powerful and it takes a lot of planning to set up the correct controled environment.

This is why I understand that for most people that used it the experience isn't a positive one (or they just used it to have fun and didn't have a clue of it's powers).

LSD?? Great stuff!! Took it several hundred times between 4/68-12/73.During the spring,summer,and fall of 1969 i took it faithfully every other day--never a "bad trip". Tried to watch the first moon landing on tv in july of '69 but couldn't. As another poster said,it isn't for everybody,in fact i think that probably 90% of the POP. should never touch it cuz LSD isn't a toy to be recklessly taken, and a person can harm themselves very badly, even to death,and a person who takes LSD needs to be as stable as a rock,mentally.If a person has any kind of mental problem or instability,or hangup then that instability can and probably will be magnified many times over,and most likely end in what is called "a bad trip"and as another poster said,it should be taken in a structured enviroment,which is usually the way i did it.But i also liked to go out and walk around the city streets trippin' my @ss off! usually at night,faaar out!!!! Was never much of a day tripper,i like the night. WOW!! thinkin' 'bout this brings back a lot of goood memories.Maybe a flashback?? I can only hope.

Orange Sunshine,Orange Wedge(LSD/STP) Strawberry Fields, Purple Haze,Purple Microdot,Clearlight,and many,many more, i liked them all!

Does anyone remember Yellow Sunshine??? it was made in Phoenix AZ. circa:1964-5,then the people who made it moved to LA(Laguna Beach??) and renamed it Orange Sunshine. JR.

*( . . .Setting up a very controled environment was key to a successful session . . .)*

That's a very interesting concept, Jamesjazzguitar. What ACTUALLY did a 'controlled environment' consist of ? And what was the 'long time PLANNING' to set up a controlled environment ?

Because as I had mentioned earlier that I was too much of a 'coward' to ever try LSD. One of the reasons being was that I really didn't trust any of my 'friends' to calm me if I should 'freak out', as I've heard this happen to a lot of people, after usage. It was too much of a risk, on my part, to attempt to ever try it. My friends would assure me, 'Yes, we'll be here for you, if you needed us, if anything goes wrong.' But it wasn't convincing enough for me. I would visualize them taking the drug, while I was under, to 'join' me.

But I really think you hit the 'nail on the head' with your understanding that a lot of people's experiences weren't positive, basically because they just 'didn't have a clue to it's powers'.

*(... But i also liked to go out and walk around the city streets trippin' my @ss off! usually at night,faaar out!!!! Was never much of a day tripper,i like the night ....)*

jr33928

Is this what the Beatles' mean in their song, 'Day Tripper' from their

'Rubber Soul' Album ??

". . .She was a day tripper

One way ticket, yeah.

It took me so long to find out,

and I found out . . . " ?:|

Ugaarte,i'm not sure what the Beatles meant,but i know that it didn't take me long to find out that day trippin' ain't so hot. There's just something about daytime that makes the LSD experience not as good.I can't,and never have been able to put my finger on the reason for it though. Almost every acid freak i ever knew liked to do it at night.Most,including myself wouldn't even think of doing it during the day.I do remember some people being worried about eye damage from the sun,because when you're on LSD your pupils dilate and some felt that dilated pupils and sunlight don't mix. You know,damage from too much UV light hitting the retina.I think they may have had a valid point,though it wasn't my reason for not doing it during the day.JR.

> {quote:title=jr33928 wrote:}{quote}

> Does anyone remember Yellow Sunshine??? it was made in Phoenix AZ. circa:1964-5,then the people who made it moved to LA(Laguna Beach??) and renamed it Orange Sunshine. JR.

I remember Orange Sunshine. I took a whole one, and went to the Ann Arbor street riots, in 1969. Later, I found out that most people just took a half, or a quarter. I was seeing Crumb cartoons, superimposed over reality. Then, I got teargassed, and could only see the cartoons. I made my way blindly to the restroom in the college library, and washed the teargas from my eyes.

The Lennon/McCartney song Tomorrow Never Knows, on the Beatles' Revolver album describes how to approach an LSD trip. It starts out saying "Just turn off your mind, relax, and float down stream..." Lots of people I knew back then liked to take it during the day. Going to the Arboretum, a big park, was popular. Canoeing, even playing baseball were pleasant activities. :)

Well... I think it was in the early 70s, when *Fantasia* was rereleased, and was in first-run theaters. A friend and I ate mushrooms, and went to see it. We kept our cool for a while, but when the dancing mushrooms came on the screen, we expressed our amazement vocally. The girls sitting behind us swatted us with a rolled up magazine, or something, and told us to be quiet! :D:D

I was straight when I went to see the first run of *The Yellow Submarine*, but I felt like I was tripping when I came out of the theater.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier

> }{quote}

> I remember Orange Sunshine. I took a whole one, and went to the Ann Arbor street riots, in 1969. Later, I found out that most people just took a half, or a quarter. I was seeing Crumb cartoons, superimposed over reality. :)

WHOOO BRO!! You got bigger kahunas than me! Id'e never take anything if i was goin' to a riot.Id'e want to be as straight as an arrow,razor sharp,cuz ya never know what's gonna happen. Ya gotta be able to think fast and accurately in possible bad situations.

The only time i only took half of a hit of anything was the Orange Wedge. That was a mix of LSD and STP(DOM). It had a 12hr.peak,and took approx.another 12-16hrs. to come down from. It was called "Orange Wedge" because the tablet had a wedge shape.It looked like somebody had cut an Orange Sunshine tablet in half,diagonally. JR.

> {quote:title=Dargo wrote:}{quote}...OR just before the showing of Disney's *Fantasia* at some revival movie house in town, eh VX?! ;)

Yes,Fantasia was released to first run theatres in,IIRC Oct./Nov.?? 1970.It was supposedly the 1st.re-release of the movie since its original release.I was staying in Austin TX.at the time,before going to San Fransicso. We all did some "clearlight" and went to the movies!!!!!! JR.