Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I wasn't implying that violence didn't solve problems. Only that since the world is full of a lot of violence, that there must be a lot of problems to solve and after they are solve, more and more problems keep coming up and thus the need to solve them with more and more violence.

This is why I provided that Harrison quote. We all know the old saying that people learn from their mistakes. I know a few people that are learning day in and day out!

• 2 months later...
>Well, James, violence has solved many a problem. It's in the Bible or your favorite History book. And I think it's a good bet those problems will continue and violence will solve many of them.

The word "problem" is entirely subjective. In SHANE the homesteaders were the problem from Riker's point of view; Riker was the problem from the homestaders'.

Violence may eliminate whatever it is that one side or the other objects to, but it never proves who's right (a subjective word in itself).

And that's the real problem.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I myself can't envision Kate Hepburn nor William Holden associated in any way to this George Stevens flick. They were easterners with Eastern USA accents!

Starrett's wife calls for a soft, feminine female figure. Not an astringent, tart, lofty, brittle, termagant such as Kate Hepburn denotes.

Starrett (the character) himself needs an actor with a slow, rural draw in his voice; a potato-fed face, and big, burly shoulders as Van Heflin possessed. As fit as Bill Holden was, he was wiry and his voice has nothing else if not the cynical twang of Manhattan. This is what stands out so clearly in "Stalag 17". Bottom line: Bill Holden just can't convince anyone he is into "farming crops".

Next: young, willowy, frail, pale, Monty Clift as Shane? With his coal-black hair? No, no, no. And again, no. Alan Ladd's blondeness and tanned skin, really works for him under Steven's photography --goes great with the yellow buckskin he wore. And even though he was not a big man he somehow pulls off this very physical role. In the famous fight scene he definitely looks mussed up.

Emil Meyer--also in 'Sweet Smell of Success' as I recall? Very menacing in that.

Ben Johnson: worldwide rodeo champion before turning to acting. That says it all.

"The west was hell on women and dogs"--maybe I'm wrong (in a question like this, there's multiple ways to be incorrect) but the way I originally heard the line is specifically, "TEXAS is hard on women and dogs". Source: John Meston, the writer for the famous Gunsmoke radio series; Meston grew up in Colorado in the 1930s and had an ear for lingo. During his youth, authentic / working cowboys were still in evidence.

Westerns on TV: I think that since the advent of this thread that yes, this has actually transpired. But westerns as feature films, may be quite a long time for that to ever recover. They're considered expensive to make and little-understood by modern audiences. Its as good as killing any chance of funding to even mention the phrase 'westerns' for screenwriters in Hollywood these days. "Cowboys and Aliens" killed the idea that westerns can have any decent ROI.