Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ah, the thread title I've been waiting for, and finally decided to make. Talk as you want. Some people hate her because of the roles she played (referring to ugaarte's thread UGH...I HATE HIM (HER), I quote,

"After watching this movie, I had such a cold hatred towards her.

But a few years later it occurred to me that, if someone on screen has the ABILITY to MAKE

me feel like I did about them ... then that would constitute a Tremendous Acting Ability on their part ...". There you have it), and some, like I, love her because of her fiery spirit, her contributions to the history of moviedom, her acting ability, and her just plain nerve. But I'm interested to know what you think. Are you getting the idea of these kinds of threads by now...?

BD19

Today, for my Bette pics, I have decided to choose a theme. The theme today is her fav co-star: George Brent. In honor of them. I will post a picture (if I can find one!) of them in each of their movies together. Here's the first, The Rich are Always with Us:

2ef1405.jpg

At a very glamorous Art Deco party, just finding out something shocking...

i think Bette was indeed a great actress, but she seems to be playing herself lots of times! let us face it she is not known for vulnerability, softness, grace and charm, she portrays woman in a fashion that i do not find flattering, whereas joan C. could do both, make you dispise her and yet feel sorry for her and love her just the same in most of her films, of course, Garbo in my view portrayed woman in a true fashion that i as a woman appreciate. but all having been said, no one in my opinion can ever top or even approach the impact, ability and greatness of these 3 great ladies of the screen, long live their films and TCM!

I don't know that much about this movie - - - - anyone care to step in?

TCM aired it recently. Davis has a supporting role and it takes a while for her to show up, Stanwyck is the star here. It was OK, but I had seen the remake with Jane Wyman first and that one has the edge in my opinion. Condensing the lengthy Edna Ferber novel into about 80 minutes makes for a rushed narrative.

> {quote:title=BetteDavis19 wrote:}{quote}Here's the next: Housewife (1934):

>

> 2ymce91.jpg

>

> This title is so vague that I can only wonder what this movie is about...

>

> Ms. Davis

Ann Dvorak plays the title character, Davis is the 2nd female lead. It's about Brent & Dvorak married to each other & Brent starts his own advertising agency. He hires Davis as his copywriter and gets involved with her. It's a good one IMO.

I have to take exception to one of your previous posts, though. Miss Davis played plenty of "sane" characters. Some may be ruthless or some may be weak but not necessarily insane. You really need to see a lot more of her less famous movies.

Don't worry, I've watched plenty lesser-known Bette movies. Some of them are: Dark Horse (1932 comedy, The Cabin in the Cotton (1932 Southern Drama), Three on a Match (1932 Dramatic Pre-Code), Bureau of Missing Persons (1933 Drama just-aired on TCM), Fashions of 1934 (Busby Berkley musical), The Girl from 10th Avenue (1935 Scheming Drama), It's Love I'm After (1937 Comedy w/ Leslie Howard), and The Bride Came C.O.D. (1941 Comedy w/ James Cagney).

If anyone else has seen any other rare Bette movies or if anyone knows of any about to be aired on TCM, just post them here!

BD19

(Oh, and I did know what Housewife was about, I was just kidding, but thanks for posting!)

Yes, besides those, there were a few:

Dark Horse (1932), June Bride (1948), Front Page Woman (1935), The Golden Arrow (1936), Satan Met a Lady (1936), and Jimmy the Gent (1934). More than you'd think, right?

Her musicals were: Hollywood Canteen (1944), Fashions of 1934 (1934), and Thank Your Lucky Stars (1943).

This shows that Bette was capable of other styles of acting, but who would want her in a comedy when she could do a performance like Of Human Bondage? That's at least what the producers thought.

Bette

Time for my new addition to this thread, THE BETTE FUN FACT O' THE DAY!

#1- Did you know that Bette was originally the first choice for Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind? They said she couldn't do it, though, after Jezebel the year before (that would've been interesting, one great Southern belle after the other!)

Bette D. 19

Wow.... so now I'm trying to imagine her and Gable together and how their chemistry would have been... I wonder if she would have been a better choice than Vivian Leigh?

I know that most of the women in Hollywood vied for this role (including Jean Arthur!), but I didn't know Bette was the first choice.