Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's their next, Front Page Woman, from 1935.

And, I'm trying to picture Clark and Bette together, too (Clark would've certainly been a lot taller than Bette at 5 foot 3 :) ). It's an interesting thought, I wonder if Gone with the Wind would've been very different with her as Scarlett? BTW, others considered for the role were, yes, Jean Arthur, Lana Turner, Tallulah Bankhead, Katharine Hepburn (accent and all), Paulette Goddard, Frances Lee, and Anita Louise, among others.

10fnl1h.jpg

This is a "cute" shot of Bette and George of them with some old candlestick phones!

And Eugenia, that's cool that you've seen It's Love I'm After, not many have! I just ordered it last night, actually. It's funny that after Of Human Bondage and Petrified Forest, Warner Brothers paired them together in a comedy! Speaking of Of Human Bondage, wow, I know it's a breakthrough movie for Bette, in whch case I want to own it, but all of the actors in it are so good and the plot is just so crazy, that it's a little hard to watch sometimes! What do you think of it, Eugenia (and you're right, The Bride Came COD is not the best movie, even though the acting is good, the plot and script are kind of faulty, which is a definite detriment to the overall quality of the movie!)

Bette D. 19

The reason Bette didn't get the part was because Jack Warner demanded that Errol Flynn get the part of Rhett as part of a package deal. i.e. Jack wasn't going to load out Bette, the top female star at the time, to another studio producer, unless Errol was part of the deal.

Selnick already had Gable for the part (almost a requirement by the general public at the time), so he said no to Jack.

I'm glad he did. As much as I love Bette I don't think she fits the part and as noted she had already played a similar role the year before (but in a much more serious and dramatic way than the 'silly' way Scarlet acts in GWTW).

*Speaking of Of Human Bondage, wow, I know it's a breakthrough movie for Bette, in whch case I want to own it, but all of the actors in it are so good and the plot is just so crazy, that it's a little hard to watch sometimes! What do you think of it, Eugenia*

Hey Bette,

I like Davis in this because she seemed to embody her role as a waitress. With her low-class Cockney accent and with her sneers, mannerisms, lines, etc., she had me forgetting it was an actress playing a role. Leslie Howard was a sap but he was such a sympathetic character - he didn't aggravate me with his blind adoration but rather I felt sorry for him that he was continually taken advantage of by Bette. I kept wanting to slap Bette for every time she answered him with a disdainful, "I don't mind!" B**** ! ;)

True! When Bette acts, you forget its her, no wonder some people dislike her from her characters! They don't know that it is Bette :^0 !

Also, it's time for a slightly different post as far as the George and Bette posters go. We are halfway through them, and to celebrate this astonishing achievement ( :) ), I'm going to post the original movie posters for each of their movies that I've mentioned before, starting with The Rich are ALways with Us:

2ntg1om.jpg

You can tell in 1932 Bette was far from the big name in this picture, or even a name! :)

Bette D. 19

Hey Bette,

With this post you made some days back (see below), when I was looking at it today I was laughing to myself in thinking that these schoolmates probably told their grandkids, "Hollywood doesn't know it, but I acted with Bette Davis!" ;)

Here's a picture of Bette in a school play in her teens- (get a load of all of that greenery!)

spx1zp.jpg

Sorry, I can't find the poster from So Big! from 1932, so I'll go to the next, Housewife:

30j4bch.jpg

The poster pictures aren't of such a good quality, but at least they are there!

Thanks Eugenia :D ! I never thought about it, but you're right! They must've been so excited in the 30s and 40s when Bette was really famous that they were in a play with her!

Bette D. 19

Thanks so much for that post. I also just recently watched "Three on a Match" for the first time & loved it. I loved Bette in her role.

It also got me really interested in Ann Dvorak. I've been researching more on her life & looking out for her films.

I think had circumstances been different for her, she could have been just as big of a star as Bette (well, maybe almost.)

BETTE FUN FACT O' THE DAY:

Did you know that Bette made 100 movies in all (including her movies that were just on television)? She achieved this by starting her acting work in the movies in 1931, and never stopping until the day she died in 1989.

Bette D. 19

Am excited to see Dead Ringer on at 7:00 CST on Friday night. I love this movie and you don't see or hear about it very often. This was one of the first movies I can remember seeing when I was a teenager on afternoon TV. If you haven't seen it, watch, good suspense & there are some good supporting actors in it!

And Bette made another twin movie in 1946, in A Stolen Life.

I just bought this movie and think it is amazing. I highly recommend it. The plot is just fascinating, the acting is superb, the sets are sepctacular, this is just the kind of movie that as soon as the end credits start rolling, you click back to the frist scene of the movie.

Bette D. 19

Now, starting on the next half of her and Brent again. And a very good way to start out, with, Jezebel:

24eub9z.jpg

First, here's Bette trying to make Brent's character like her when Fonda's won't.

20p6kn9.jpg

And when Fonda really ignores her (in a got-married-to-someone-else-way), she specifically tries to make him jealous using Brent.

11hwaro.jpg

Then she sparks a gunfight between Brent's and Richard Cromwell's character, and pleads him to stop it. Brent just pretends he doesn't hear her. He should've, though, then maybe his charcter would'nt have been dead.

Ms. Davis

Next is Dark Victory (one of the 1939ers):

4tnaj9.jpg

Bette is about to have her brain surgery, George is reassuring her.

200d2yg.jpg

Bette is now happy that she is well, but George is trying to conceal his grief for knowing that she isn't.

2lrlvc.jpg

George just told Geraldine Fitzgerald that Bette will die, and Bette just walked out to them not knowing what was going on.

6pt2xj.jpg

Bette and George are actually both happy together in this movie, for a couple minutes, anyway...

zxmbsx.jpg

George reluctant to leave, Bette trying to get him to go to New York alone, George also not knowing that Bette was blind and about to die.

And there's Dark Victory. Did anyone, after watching this, wonder what would happen next? I mean, it must not have been very nice. Bette's corpse was lying in bed, her best friend was out running in the fields sobbing her heart out, George was out on a business trip and was sure they would call him if anything happened but he was still worrying a lot, so what was going to happen next? Oh well, let's just move on to the next movie...

Bette Davis 19

Sorry, guys! I forgot that Jezebel wasn't the 6th movie that George and Bette made with each other, it was the 7th, the 6th was a little-known one from 1936 called The Golden Arrow. Here are some pics:

2z9mw50.jpg

Bette (with a new hairstyle) and George on a ship.

2nlzo6p.jpg

George and Bette relaxing between shots.

o9ed8g.jpg

Bette in an oh-so-fashionable bathing suit.

Now, with this new addition we're up to eight George and Bette movies. Only three more to go...

Ms. Davis

I have always wondered: Did the casting of Brent allow Bette to shine more OR if an actor with more 'spice' was casted would many of these movies (some very great ones like Dark Victory), be better?

I'm not saying he was a bad actor only that he lacked punch. But of course these were Bette Davis movies so maybe it helped her shine.

Bette, this is turning into a fantastic thread! By the way, last night I watched THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH & ESSEX. I absolutely loved it. I could tell that Davis was completely into her role, and I loved the mannerisms she gave to Elizabeth I (the way she nervously moved her hands, her facial expressions, etc.). She outshone DeHavilland and Flynn (two actors I like a lot), imo. The only part that was implausible for me is that Essex would be more in love with Elizabeth than Penelope Gray (DeHavilland). It's true that Essex had a bit of an interest in the kingdom, but he was also so taken by Elizabeth that no other woman, even a woman as beautiful as Penelope, could turn his head...

Olivia was so bored doing this Elizabeth and Essex that it shows in her acting. She had just done Gone With The Wind and was hoping for some better roles and then Jack puts her in yet another movie with Flynn and Olivia isn't even the star. Jack did this kind of things on purpose to keep actors in their place. This was the start of the end for Olivia and Warner Bros. Her best work was on loan out in Hold Back the Dawn. Olivia gets yet antoher oscar nod, but if that didn't help her get better roles until she left the studio (after the famous lawsuit that she won).