Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi James,

I vaguely remember DeHavilland not wanting to do this movie, and that she kept quiet about it to Jack Warner... Stocking her ammunition for the lawsuit, no doubt. I like watching DeHavilland and Davis together in this movie, thinking about the others they've done together and also the fact they were good friends off the set. Interesting about Davis and Flynn detesting each other... I love all the "behind the scenes" stories.

I have just finished a terrific book by Robert Matzen, Errol and Olivia: Ego and Obsession, which I highly recommend. Matzen says that Olivia's supporting role in Elizabeth and Essex was "punishiment" for taking the role of Melanie in Gone with the Wind. JL didn't want her to think that just because she got this role at another studio that she was going to be regarded differently at Warner's. According to Matzen, the cast and crew, except for Flynn, were rather rude to her and were instructed to ignore her throughout production, so no wonder she turned in such a lackluster performance. No wonder DeHavilland eventually rebelled!

I own both "Of Human Bondage" movies and I thought Bette gave a terrific performance! She looked so ravaged when Howard finds her slumped on the floor. I happen to like this version of the movie over the other. Just my opinion.

BETTE FUN FACT O' THE DAY:

Did you notice that starting in about 1934 that Bette's make-up started to change? The make-up artist made her upper-lip completely flat, "lip-sticking" right over her cupid's bow, to make her lips achieve the 30's, fuller look.

And here come the posters for Dark Victory, I found five!

ejufc1.jpg

This first one I've most commonly seen.

1tofh1.jpg

This next one I have never seen, the picture of Bette and George is very odd, they made Bette look kind of strange...

1zgwy68.jpg

I think this one is in French.

xcq4ie.jpg

I think this one is Swedish. I really like the graphics in it.

14tx7bd.jpg

This is the last, I have seen this one before, it's more vertical.

Ms. Davis

Here are the next ones, for The Old Maid:

34441h5.jpg

The most common one always comes first.

112gapf.jpg

This is another pretty common one.

spkbp5.jpg

This is the only horizontal.

200w8s0.jpg

This one has a more drawn, artistic look.

30jnry0.jpg

I think this one is in French.

Bette D. 19

"Another Man's Poison" is a Bette Davis film I haven't seen in years since AMC used to show it. I'd love to see it again. Also, it seems - at least according to imdb - that Bette is fortunate in that all of her films have survived. I wonder if her early Universals and Columbias are in any shape to be shown? I've seen her first - "The Bad Sister" - and it is in a watchable state.

I absolutely LOVE this thread! Thank you BetteDavis19 for starting it.

Has anyone purchased the TCM Classic Films Collection Bette Davis? I was considering it until I read a review that states the commentary during DARK VICTORY cannot be turned off.

Please let me know if this is the case. Thanks.

Calvin, I know Another Man's Poison is for sale ond DVD on amazon.com here: http://www.amazon.com/Another-Mans-Poison-Bette-Davis/dp/B00003G4J9

And, WHAT???????!!!!!!!!! You watched The Bad Sister?I am so jealous of you! Where? When? How? This is Bette's first and I want to watch it so badly, it is as Eugenia phrased it when it was about Barbara's first movie, the Holy Grail for Bette fans. I want to see it so much! Do you know if it is on DVD anywhere? I doubt it, but a girl can dream....

(if any of you want it to be on DVD, you can vote for it! Just type in The Bad Sister to the serach bar and click TCMDb below it. Then hit enter, and click on the movie title. Then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Post Your Own Rating. You don't have to, but at the top of the page there will be a little box with a picture and some text in it that says that this movie is not on DVD. Then click that you want to recommend it on DVD, and your vote will be counted).

And, MovieGal, thank you so much for saying that you love this thread. It made me feel so good, I love to hear that threads I make really enjoy people! :) And, as you probably have guessed, I own the Bette Davis TCM Greatest Classics Legend Collection. I am glad you want to buy it! I have also watched Dark Victory a myriad of times and have not listened to the commentary once. I didn't even know that it had commentary! So, it's your choice if you want to turn it on or off. In my next post, you will see all the posters of The Great Lie (which just happened to be shown this year on my birthday)...

Bette D. 19

Here are the posters for The Great Lie, our second-to-last,

693jev.jpg

This is the most common one.

2zjjp88.jpg

Here's a Spanish version.

2uq0q5z.jpg

In this poster they tried to take Bette back to her platinum blonde days.

We've only got one movie left, :( , sad...

Ms. Davis

You are very welcome! Bette Davis is one of my favorite actress's and this thread along with EugeniaH's Barbara Stanwyck thread are two of my "go to" threads in the forum. Keep up the good work because it's appreciated!

Thank you for your review of the TCM Bette Davis Film Collection. On your recommendation I purchased it and can't wait until it arrives!

<<And, MovieGal, thank you so much for saying that you love this thread. It made me feel so good, I love to hear that threads I make really enjoy people! :) And, as you probably have guessed, I own the Bette Davis TCM Greatest Classics Legend Collection. I am glad you want to buy it! I have also watched Dark Victory a myriad of times and have not listened to the commentary once. I didn't even know that it had commentary! So, it's your choice if you want to turn it on or off. In my next post, you will see all the posters of The Great Lie (which just happened to be shown this year on my birthday)...>>

Bette D. 19

Here is the last one, In This Our Life (in which Bette has this scene, which I like to watch on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a79nmpz9Ea8)

2j2huyt.jpg

This, like the other movie posters, is the most common.

wrhlcz.jpg

This is like the first one, but horizontal.

m82uyo.jpg

This is like the first two, but more vertical.

9vcgsn.jpg

This is more emotional.

2qdu6mh.jpg

The last of the last happens to be colorized.

What theme should I do now?

Bette D. 19

I love anything Bette Davis. She's definitely #1 with me as an actress from those bygone days of Hollywood. The first thing I look for when I get my viewers guide is to see if one of her movies is showing...I've even set my alarm if there is one in the wee hours of the night. :x

Oh my gosh, Peppy, you're exactly like me! I do all of those things too! The second I get the Now Playing guide in the mail I flip to the back and search for any of her movies. I've even woken up in the middle of the night just to see a rare one! So glad there's more like me :) !

Bette D. 19

Now, a picture of her in All About Eve that I haven't seen before,

2d9s2m0.jpg

Look what the make-up artists did! They made her little lips huge and red, and her big eyes weighed down and dark, her beautiful hair grayer and frizzy, and her thin eyebrows big and looming. I'm glad they changed the make-up for the movie!