Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carnival of Souls

slaytonf

I must admit to having guessed the ending, but that was only because the film struck me as a lengthy TWILIGHT ZONE episode and I was conditioned by that series to expect a twist ending. It doesn't damper my enthusiasm for the film though. That's more that I can say for THE SIXTH SENSE where I guessed the ending before the credits started. At least with CARNIVAL OF SOULS, I had to get at least half-way through the thing before it struck me.

It's also worth noting that the people who made this made a lot of educational short films for middle schoolers through a company called Centron in the 50's and 60's. Among them were Cheating and Why Study Industrial Arts and a lot of them are about as creepy as Carnival.

You can really see the influence.

It's also also worth noting that the guys behind Mystery Science Theater 3000 have a company called Rifftrax where they take public domain movies and make fun of them. Carnival of Souls was one of their first releases- and it's hee-lar-ee-ous, although they're pretty harsh on the film (at times maybe a little unfairly), the constant organ music, the director's cameo, and the leading lady's acting, and they frequently cite the fact that it is basically a 20 minute premise stretched out to an 80 minutes through the use of a looooot of filler and some looooong establishing shots.

But still, it's worth checking out (as are theIr treatments of Plan 9 From Outer Space and House on Haunted Hill and you can rent them via netflix or buy the DVD's for about $8.00 via amazon.)

Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Oct 25, 2011 1:21 PM

Sorry one and all, but I watched this film last night, FOR THE UPTEENTH TIME, and still did not understand it. The following represent, to me, what might have been going on, but only one can be correct. Which is it? Or am I all wet?

1.) WAS SHE DYING, IN THE CAR, AND DREAMED ALL THIS BEFORE SHE ACTUALLY DIED?

2.) WAS SHE MEANT TO DIE, EVADED DEATH, AND THE DEAD RECLAIMED HER THEREBY SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT?

3.) WAS SHE CO-EXISTING IN BOTH THE WORLD'S OF THE LIVING AND THE DEAD UNTIL SOMEONE, GOD MAYBE, MADE UP HIS MIND????

A truly confusing and disturbing movie.

I just didn't care for Carnival of souls. As far as low budget & cult I prefered She Freak that aired a couple of weeks ago. David F. Friedman was quite a character and he actually did buy a carnival several years after he produced She Freak. Check out the book about his colorful life in A Youth In Babylon - Confessions Of A Trash Film King.

> {quote:title=JonnyGeetar wrote:}{quote}

>All your answers are possible, The film's ending is open to interpretation: see it how you want to see it.

>

> Ooogie boogie boogie!

We agree on that one, JG. That's why I compared the film to *Jacob's Ladder* and *Donnie Darko*. They present the same conundrum. Frankly, I'm not sure there is, or is supposed to be, a logical, rational, answer.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings