Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cujas

Musicals on Tap

This may not be what you're looking for, but it does fit. The Irving Berlin song "When That Midnight Choo-Choo Leaves For Alabam" is featured in 1948's "Easter Parade", (the holiday film). It's performed by Judy Garland and Fred Astaire. The same song is performed by Ethel Merman and Dan Dailey in 1954's "There's No Business Like Show Business". Later in the movie, at a party for their parents, it is done by Mitzi Gaynor and Donald O'Connor, who play Ethel and Dan's children.

That's an excellent answer Miles and certainly answers the question. However, I am thinking of another song and dance routine performed by 2 different Legends . Interestingly enough this is also an Irving Berlin song and the other film is a bio. You did answer correctly for 1 of the films. Please try another guess, but the thread is yours anyway.

Let's try another guess. Check out this clip of Ann Miller from "Easter Parade".

And this one of Doris Day in "Love Me Or Leave Me".

"Shakin' The Blues Away" had been a bit hit for Ruth Etting in her Ziegfeld follies career.

Now, what was the song and what was the movie where a slightly inebriated Fred Astaire tried to break just about all the drinking glasses in a bar?

Ann Miller's rendition of Shakin The Blues Away is one of my all time favorite dance routines on film. *Sky's The Limit* , the song is +One More For The Road* . I watched the film on TCM about a year ago and haven't forgotten that very different routine that Fred Astaire does.

Thanks Miles. :)

next:

There is a film that 2 actors do a dance-off on top of a long table top. Both actors are playing 2 famous real life entertainers. Film, 2 actors and who are the 2 entertainers they are portraying ?????

Of course. *The Seven Little Foys* Bob Hope and James Cagney as George M Cohan. I hope everyone looks at the clip, Miles posted the youtube site. So much fun and adorable to watch those 2 together.

Thanks for posting the site, hope you enjoyed that Miles, your thread.

Thanks. Very few will know the answer to this one, but if you do a litttle research, you may find it. In the classic movie "Singin' In the Rain", Debbie Reynolds sang a song to a picture of Gene Kelly, but the scene was cut from the final print of the picture, so few folks know about it. I believe that it is somewhat reminiscient of "Dear Mr. Gable" that Judy Garland did some years earlier. The song actually is done elsewhere in the picture, but as a duet. Can you name this song?

You got it, cujas. Welcome back. We've missed you on this thread. I invite you to compare Debbie's number here with young Judy's from"Broadway Melody Of 1938". Here's Debbie.

And here's Judy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-5PGkg1yg0

I wish that Debbie's number had been left in. What do you think? OK, cujas. Now it's your turn.

I love Debbie--just saw one from her, so we'll do that:

Song by Richard Meyers was a hit, thanx to Debbie.

Song & Movie please

Could it be "Hold My Hand" from "Susan Slept Here"? Here is a clip.

Debbie sure was cute. Do you remember which big band that Don Cornell sang with?

Miles-- I don't even remember Don Cornell, per se! But I really do remember hearing that song on the radio. I had never heard of Susan Slept Here--but several years ago, I bought the TCM Catalog and saw it--and bought it sight unseen. It's a terrific Xmas movie.

Miles--you're up!

Don Cornell sang with Sammy Kaye and his orchestra. His biggest hits were "It Isn't Fair" and

"I'll Walk Alone". Now, most of you remember a rather odd performer from the sixties who called himself Tiny Tim. He first appeared on "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" and later on "The Tonight Show", where he married a young woman named Miss Vicki. His signature song was one that had been introduced in the twenties by a popular singer of that era. That singer performed the song in an early musical film. Can you name the song, the singer, and the movie in which it was performed?

Oof! and ouch! Ever so much better rendition of Tiptoe through the Tulips was sung by Nick Lukas in Gold Diggers of Broadway (1929). The ukulele never did much for Tim, nor his size too small suit he chose.

When MGM bought the film rights to the Broadway show "Babes In Arms", they used it to showcase the talents of Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland. However, they changed the story and cut out a lot of the original songs from the show. Some time later, Mickey and Judy were in another musical where they performed one of those songs that had been cut from "Babes In Arms". Can you name the song and the movie in which they sang it?

I Wish I Was In Love Again--from Words & Music--The last MGM performance of Judy and Mickey.

When it comes to the career of Judy Garland, not much gets by cujas. I purposely did not mention that the Broadway show "Babes In Arms" had music by Rodgers and Hart. "I Wish I Were In Love Again" was cut from the movie, but was performed by Mickey and Judy in "Words And Music", a Rodgers and Hart biopic. Here is the number.

When the movie version of "Babes In Arms" was released, the only original songs from the show that were included were the title tune and "Where Or When". They used "The Lady Is A Tramp" as just a little background music. "I Wish I Were In Love Again", "Johnny One Note" and "My Funny Valentine" were cut completely. What were they thinking? In "Words And Music", Judy sings "Johnny One Note" and Lena Horne sings both "The Lady Is A Tramp" and ""Where Or When". "My Funny Valentine" was done years later in the movie "Pal Joey". OK cujas, it's your thread now.

Next--

Judy's favorite song--

Judy's MGM audition song--

and the last song that Judy sang at Carnegie Hall!