Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cujas

Musicals on Tap

You don't know how close you are, cujas. The Donald O'Connor movie also starred Ethel Merman. Before you go looking, I'll tell you that they were in two films together. The Fred and Ginger movie was partially set in England.

OK, here'a a key word to help answer the question. In "My Fair Lady", Eliza asks the musical question "Wouldn't It Be __________?" Fill in the blank and you have the key word you need to answer my question. By the way, Fred and Ginger were in three movies together that had music by Irving Berlin

Here's a big hint. Fred sings to Ginger in a bandstand in a park in the early part of the picture, and the movie is not "Carefree".

But what's the other song, the one sung by Donald O'Connor in a later movie? Remember the original question. Fred's song ends with the same phrase that Donald's song begins with.

Yes, of course:

Two of my favorites!

Donald O'Connor and Vera-Ellen - "It's a Lovely Day Today"

From

CALL ME MADAM (1953)

Yes, in "Top Hat" (1935), Fred Astaire sings "Isn't This A Lovely Day to Be Caught In The Rain?". The last line is "Long As I Can Be With You, It's A Lovely Day". In "Call Me Madam" (1953), Donald O'Connor sings "It's A Lovely Day Today" to Vera-Ellen. The last few words of Fred's song and the first few words of Donald's song are "It's A Lovely Day". Both songs were written by Irving Berlin. Now here's some added trivia. Donald's song ends with the line "So If You've Got Something That Must Be Done, And It Can Only Be Done By One, There Is Nothing More To Say, Except It's A Lovely Day For Saying "It's A Lovely Day". So that song ends with the same phrase that it begins with. It's your turn, musicalnovelty. Isn't it a lovely day for a new question?

Okay,

Staying on the subject of the beautiful and talented Vera-Ellen:

In which of her films did a leading character play "Happy Birthday" to her?

Thanks Miles. Love the song, but what tune by the Gershwin's isn't beautiful? I've been singing Embraceable You all week-end! Hope you didn't lose power this time and your dig out wasn't too rough.

next:

In this musical, our guy falls from a substantial height while performing, ending his character's career as a dancer. Actor and film??

It could and is Fred Astaire in *Blue Skies* . Blue Skies is probably my favorite Irving Berlin song. Glad you recognized the film, musical. Your thread.

Okay, new question:

A few posts back, the song "Isn't This a Lovely Day" from the movie TOP HAT was mentioned.

Question: What very famous, popular actor/actress stated at the time that it was his/her favorite song?

Time for another clue, I guess.

She worked at several different studios during her long career, but probably her best-known and best-remembered movies were made at MGM.

YES!

It's Myrna Loy.

In a 1935 Guy Lombardo radio show they play the song and introduce it as a request from Myrna Loy who (they say) said it is her favorite song.

In "Roberta", Ginger Rogers plays Countess Scharwenka complete with a thick European accent. She used the accent because the actress who played the part on Broadway had an authentic European accent. That actress was also in several movie musicals and comedies in the thirties. Who was she?